Ascots - Miss Heartbreaker

Go to solution Solved by boba,

which release came first? (mir-a-don or MBS?) is the MBS (yellow label) just the national distribution of the mir-a-don (purple) local one?

thanks!

p s - never heard this before, but it was on this week's "sitting in the park" podcast, which is awesome!

Edited by ljblanken
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Solution

mir-a-don is the first press. they left the artist name off the record and it's stamped on the sleeve (assuming you get it with the original sleeve). get it on MBS, it's cheaper and easier to find. they have 3 other records on mir-a-don.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've got the original acetate of this (I'm sure it's A1 studio disc) working from memory I'm sure it say's M.B.S records with the rest of the typed info .Regards S.

Social source share

I've had Mir-A-Don copies both with and without the group name on them - both are legit and tough.

The MBS release was around in big quantity in the UK for decades and was always a cheapie...and of course is a terrific track.

Roscoe Bowie's name appears on some other Chicago label releases...anyone got info on this chap?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I've had Mir-A-Don copies both with and without the group name on them - both are legit and tough.

The MBS release was around in big quantity in the UK for decades and was always a cheapie...and of course is a terrific track.

Roscoe Bowie's name appears on some other Chicago label releases...anyone got info on this chap?

Hi there Flnny hope your o.k is the mbs release a Chigago thing then as I've never thought of these releases as being anything other than new york as you say there were loads around at one time so common I never thought about it's origin .Mir-a-don was a great label and collected all but never got the uncredited 45.Darling , Darling fantastic Another day Classic you couldn't go wrong with a mir-a-don I have Darling.... on two differant coloured labels regards Simon.
Social source share

Hi there Flnny hope your o.k is the mbs release a Chigago thing then as I've never thought of these releases as being anything other than new york

Apologies for the confusion...my Chicago reference was with regards to Roscoe Bowie (Jr?), the arranger on "Miss Heartbreaker" and "Anytime"...as his name also appears on a Chess disc by Andy Mack (aka Andy Mulgrader - one time member of the Spaniels) called, "Later Than You Think", which has a very similar arrangement/ sound to the Ascots tracks mentioned. That said, after a scratch around it appears that all parties concerned are out of DC, including the Carlton's who provided vocal backing to Andy Mack on that Chess 45...so forgive the loose Chicago link.

Whilst we're at it, your A1 Sound Studios acetate...this studio was owned by Herb Abramson and based at 234 West 56th Street and then on the ground floor of a hotel off Broadway and 76th Street (gotta love the Internet!), so as it was a recording facility one may assume that "Miss Heartbreaker" is a NY recording, rather than DC.

Social source share

Herb Abramson worked on projects in D.C. and Baltimore.  He was early involved in D.C.'s music because he was friendly with Ahmet and Neshui Ertegun, whom he had first met in Washington.  That, eventually got him involved with Jubilee Records.  It may be that M.B.S./Mir-A-Don's recordings were made in D.C., or New York, or New Jersey, or, even Philadelphia.  But, as they brought the group to NY to make the demo recording, it's most likely that they recorded the final mix and pressed in New York, as well.  But not absolutely certain.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

With fear of going off topic, I see that Roscoe Bowie's son is Michael Bowie the famed jazz double-bass player...seems it was a musical family with Dad on woodwind and Mum Gerri on piano!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!