Recorded And Released In The Uk

Mal C

got a little collection going of UK recorded and released tracks, Susan Maughan being my most recent addition, so add that to Emma Rede, James Galt, and half a dozen others, can folk suggest some good ones to pick up, I love Beat Ballads so you cant suggest enough of those...

Mal.C

post-2025-0-30903500-1363084445_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-39140700-1363084567_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Mal, there are absolutely loads of them - good luck in getting your collection together.  Some of my personal fave UK only releases are:

MARK LOYD: When I'm Gonna Find Her (Parlophone)

LEONARD WHITING: That's What Mama Said (Pye)

STEVE ALDO: You're Absolutely Right (Parlophone)

CHAPTER FIVE: You Can't Mean It (CBS)

KENNY LYNCH: Movin' Away (HMV)

HELEN SHAPIRO: Take Me For A While (Pye)

FRANKIE & JOHNNY: I'll Hold You (Decca)

There are also loads of other decent UK only 45s that shouldn't break the bank. 

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Mal, there are absolutely loads of them - good luck in getting your collection together.  Some of my personal fave UK only releases are:

Gene

Thanks Gene,   I'm looking for lesser known stuff, more in the mould of the Emma Rede / Malcolm Hayes cover, or original songs like the James Galt say... the Leonard Whiting is just right..

I have to say I never looked hard at my Oliver Norman, as I've already got that one on a pink Demo, so thats covered, the Donnie Elbert is great i'll grab me one of those..

m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gene

UK recordings they may be but Frankie & Johnny, Chapter Five and Helen Shapiro are not UK-only releases.

Social source share

Just thought of a few more lesser-knowns for you Mal - hope these are of some help!

BRIAN POOLE: Everything I Touch Turns To Tears (CBS) - same as Barry St John etc..

BRIAN POOLE: Just How Loud (CBS) - same as Joanne Morgan

FELDER'S ORIOLES: Back Street (Piccadilly) - same as Edwin Starr

VAL McKENNA: Mixed Up Shook Up Girl / Now That You've Made Up Your Mind (Piccadilly) - B-side excellent, A-side poor cover of Patti & Emblems

ADRIENNE POSTA: Something Beautiful (Decca)

SUSAN MAUGHAN: Stop Your Foolin' (Philips)

GIDIAN: There Isn't Anything (Columbia)

Will post up some more as they come to mind.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

UK recordings they may be but Frankie & Johnny, Chapter Five and Helen Shapiro are not UK-only releases.

Was Chapter Five released as Chapter Five anywhere other than the UK?  Thought there was only the Italian (?) release that was actually under the name of the lead singer, not Chapter Five?

Social source share

Was Chapter Five released as Chapter Five anywhere other than the UK?  Thought there was only the Italian (?) release that was actually under the name of the lead singer, not Chapter Five?

Yeah there is a South African CBS of it mate.

I don't know of another Helen Shapiro though.

Social source share

Yeah there is a South African CBS of it mate.

I don't know of another Helen Shapiro though.

Every day's a school day!  Cheers Pete

Social source share

Jimmy Witherspoon, Man dont cry...recorded in London, not sure of a 45 though, think it's only LP.

Herbie Goins  Coming home to you  I'm assuming capitol BR, as the U.S release is, stating, recorded in great Britain ont' label.

Garnett Mimms   british 45 release of As long as i have you, live recording in Britain.

Dusty Springfield    Go Ahead on    Philips.    Crackin' tune

Off the top of my head

Social source share

Some I like...hopefully some will be obscure enough to seek them out for a listen

SHIRLEY ABICAIR - I WILL BE THERE - PICCADILLY (bit like Peggy March)

STEVE ALDO - YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT - PARLOPHONE

MARION ANGEL - IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT - COLUMBIA (BEAT BALLAD)

TWIGGY - BEAUTIFUL DREAMS - EMBER

VELVET LOVE - SYMPHONY OF DREAMS - ALASKA (MINOR WIGAN SPIN 1977)

THE BUNCH - YOU CAN'T DO THIS - CBS

ROBERT PLANT - I'VE GOT A SECRET - CBS (A REALL STORMER)

APPLEJACKS - YOU'VE BEEN CHEATING - CBS

JUNE HARRIS - OVER AND OVER AGAIN - CBS

LINDA KAYE - I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT YOU - COLUMBIA

ALMA COGAN - SNAKES AND SNAILS - COLUMBIA

KAROL KEYES - ONE IN A MILLION - COLUMBIA

FEARNS BRASS FOUNDRY - DON'T CHANGE IT - DECCA

DANNY WILLIAMS - WHOSE LITTLE GIRL ARE YOU - DERAM

DOUBLE FEATURE - BABY GET YOUR HEAD SCREWED ON - DERAM

LITTLE TONY - LONG IS THE LONELY NIGHT - DURIUM (May be Italian)

MANCHESTERS PLAYBOYS - I FEEL SO GOOD - FONTANA

BLUESOLOGY - COME BACK BABY - FONTANA

VIP'S - STRAIGHT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM - ISLAND

LESLEY DAWSON - RUN FOR SHELTER - MERCURY

JACKIE TRENT - THE ONE WHO REALLY LOVES YOU - ORIOLE

BOBBY SHAFTO - THE SAME OLD ROOM - PARLOPHONE

JOHNNY CURTIS - OUR LOVE'S DISINTEGRATING - PARLOPHONE

ROBERT HENRY - WALK AWAY LIKE A WINNER - PHILIPS

PERPETUAL LANGLEY - TWO BY TWO - PLANET

JOHN LEE'S GROUNDHOGS - I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN - PLANET

SONNY CHILDE - HEARTBREAK - POLYDOR

TONY JACKSON - FORTUNE TELLER - PYE

DAVID BOWIE - DO ANYTHING YOU SAY - PYE

TONY COLTON - I STAND ACCUSED  - PYE

JACKIE TRENT - YOU BABY - PYE

That'll do...losing concentration!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Collect Aussie as you no doubt know, be interested in seeing the astor...

M

i`d almost forgot about that..we sold it to steve mank..our mate that does the chillout with us i`ll try and get it back off him to scan altho its typical 60`s black and yellow astor..i think the german pye copy went to derek greenhoff

Social source share

i knew it wo summat like that :rofl: ......read it in record collector years ago

Yeah I probably wrote it  :lol:

I wrote this piece on the top 50 or so UK Northern records in my own fanzine, a couple of months later, it appeared in Record Collector - with someone else's name on it as author!

Naturally I did my nut and ended up writing quite a few pieces for them in the end (UK soul, rare Motown, Grapevine etc) and doing their price guide for 4 or 5 years.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a U.K soul record don't think you see around too much.

A BAND OF ANGELS, INVITATION. on Piccadilly Records.

Wierd this, got all the production values of a great Detroit record, yet it's crossed with a Merseybeat sound.

Can't weigh it up really, not bad though.....I think.

Aid.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL What you mean "nonsense" Bengi,? Where do you say  they were recorded? I  would be very interested in finding out the real truth behind these 2 classics.

Carl Douglas" Serving a sentence" UA  / OKeh

We had that discussion three years ago. Or was it four years? Look up credits on both songs. They literally scream "New York". Your vague assumption is based on what? A paper clipping?

Social source share

We had that discussion three years ago. Or was it four years? Look up credits on both songs. They literally scream "New York". Your vague assumption is based on what? A paper clipping?

:hatsoff2: Hi Benji that's right a provoking piece by Alan (Fluff) Freeman, you answer does not clarify my point, I do agree it's a spurious attempt by my self to rattle the cage, but as yet no one has proved that this did not happen? :ohmy: Dave

Social source share

Don't know why I do this but anyway:

Singer Ray Pollard - born in NY and spent most of his musical career there.

Producer: Gerry Granahan, born in Pennsylvania. US east coast based singer, songwriter, producer

Arranger: Arnold Goland, born in NY

And now you tell me they all went to the UK to record "the drifter"?

BTW, nobody has to prove you're wrong. It's you who has to prove he's right.

Social source share

Dave,

what pi**es me off is you tried to make your assumption to look like a fact. Anyway, I think it's not worth talking about that any longer.

You said "few UK RECORDINGS DRIFTER". Do you mean UK covers of Ray Pollard? There's only one that springs to my mind and that's Long John Baldry. Are there any others?

Speaking of LJB, we can add his take of the drifter to the list of UK recorded/released. Infact I think it's UK only isn' it? LJB's cover of the Ray Pollard flip "let him go" is another UK recording but was released at least in Germany and maybe other european countries.

Edited by Benji
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave,

what pi**es me off is you tried to make your assumption to look like a fact. Anyway, I think it's not worth talking about that any longer.

You said "few UK RECORDINGS DRIFTER". Do you mean UK covers of Ray Pollard? There's only one that springs to my mind and that's Long John Baldry. Are there any others?

Speaking of LJB, we can add his take of the drifter to the list of UK recorded/released. Infact I think it's UK only isn' it? LJB's cover of the Ray Pollard flip "let him go" is another UK recording but was released at least in Germany and maybe other european countries.

There's also Don Charles version on Parlophone but possibly of more interest, an unissued Pye acetate by Stuart Smith, this was a one off which I sold last year for £500.

https://lostvinylgemsofthe60s.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/stewart-smith-drifter-pye-acetate-1967.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!