Maze (Not Frankie Beverly) And Calla Records

jocko

Maze - I Got Love - Calla

Absolutely horrible record to my ears, suspect its been a blind buy, can't remember buying it, which is unusual for me, and couldn't remember how it sounded. Recorded it and my ears screamed in horror. Brit Psych Pop from the 60's (which I don't like so this is not a soul v pop debate please) but poor mans attempt to my uneducated ears. Is that an accurate description or did I not pay attention when I bought record collector back in the day!

Anyone know anything about this band, personell etc, why this record ended up on a label that has otherwise almost all soul output, or does it, looking at Mr Rimmers excellent discography below there may be some other odd ball releases? Any info generally on Calla and anyone know Dave's missing numbers to complete the run?

As I say neither this style or this label are my strongpoint in knowledge so just keen to know a bit more before I throw it out, or hopefully sell it for a life changing sum as it sounds bad enough to be the Beatles under another name.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/callarecords.htm

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This' Maze' was a white beat group.  Released on Calla in July 1967.  Also released in France on Mercury.  A-side is "Chained To Your Heart", and supposedly a cover of Bobby Moore.

Have no idea of value.

post-953-0-34731000-1363185391_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

This' Maze' was a white beat group.  Released on Calla in July 1967.  Also released in France on Mercury.  A-side is "Chained To Your Heart", and supposedly a cover of Bobby Moore.

Have no idea of value.

T'other side IS a version of Bobby Moore :P

Social source share

Anyone know anything about this band, personell etc,

it sounds bad enough to be the Beatles under another name.

Have you heard The Beatles? Neither side of the 45 on CALLA sounds like anything they ever recorded.

There was a UK band called The Maze which later morphed into Deep Purple, but the release on CALLA is apparently by an unrelated US group. Very little seems to be known about them.

I have included a bigger scan of the french 45 sleeve below in case anyone can identify the members. It wouldn't surprise me if Benny Troy was in the band.

Interestingly it seems like the Bobby Moore "Chained To Your Heart" 45 and the Maze 45 were released at pretty much the same time. Both are reviewed in the same issue of Billboard from 8 July 1967. Bobby Moore is predicted to reach the Top 60 of the regular HOT 100 "pop chart" and The Maze is predicted to reach the TOP SELLING RHYTHM & BLUES R&B SINGLES chart.

Make of that what you will... :g::D

post-1392-0-46378100-1363247518_thumb.jp   post-1392-0-69782000-1363247517_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Have you heard The Beatles? Neither side of the 45 on CALLA sounds like anything they ever recorded.

Sorry Sebastian, it was my attempt at humour that rarely works on here, I hate the Beatles with a passion, so it was just an opportunity to get a cheap dig at them

Thanks for info people, I did a bit digging on this and Calla that I will put up tonight, but not a lot out there on the WWW.

Interestinly Mr M has at least 2 copies for sale not particularly cheap, so I assume its had some scene exposure.

I haven't had the bravery to listen to the other side, but Bobby Moore is surely not likely to be challenged.

Considering I dislike Benny Troy's single just slightly, and very slightly, less than I dislike the Beatles, the idea of him being in this band doesn't surprise me.....

Social source share

Sorry Sebastian, it was my attempt at humour that rarely works on here, I hate the Beatles with a passion, so it was just an opportunity to get a cheap dig at them

Thanks for info people, I did a bit digging on this and Calla that I will put up tonight, but not a lot out there on the WWW.

I haven't had the bravery to listen to the other side, but Bobby Moore is surely not likely to be challenged.

Considering I dislike Benny Troy's single just slightly, and very slightly, less than I dislike the Beatles, the idea of him being in this band doesn't surprise me.....

Calla was run by Nate McCalla, bodyguard to Morris Levy who ran Roulette. Both of those labels had strong ties to the mob.

Lots of info about both labels (and Morris and Nate) in Tommy James (from the Shondells) biography which I recommend to anyone that is interested in this kind of stuff. Fascinating reading.

"Chained To Your Heart":

Social source share

I just looked at the Calla 45 and 20th century 45s. No common names but both are new york productions. One is produced by Dave Appell (Tokens). I wonder if there's any connection to the Love Potion on Kapp that he produced a couple years later.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!