New Discovery Or Known 45? Bobby Baker On Da*vi*da, Inc

I've just uploaded this youtube video of a 45 I've had for about a coupla years....Los Angeles obscurity. From my research, I can't find any mention of it, playlists or otherwise, and wondered just how known, if at all, this disc is.

Great piece of crossover that sits very nicely next to the Caffey Brothers on Aura.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Tom Noble just sold it on ebay, the text made it sound like people knew about it

After I started this post, I had another look around and saw Tommy sold one on 3rd March....up until that point, I haven't seen it mentioned at all, aside from playing it on my radio show.

I'd be interested to find out if it's been played anywhere, for how long etc

Social source share

Nice post Greg. I haven't ever come across this one, hope I find it someday. What a refreshing change of pace to hear a modern soul "new discovery" that actually sounds good!

Thanks for the comment, sir....you're certainly in the right town to turnover a copy, mate. No dupes so far, so let's see if more exposure brings more copies out of the woodwork.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

It's a good label.  Couple of other things on there, Bean Brothers.  Davida seems to be an amalgam of David Futch and Dana V Andrews .

Thanks for the comment....I've got a coupla things on the label, including another gospel piece, but not in the same league as the Bobby Baker. And yeah, absolutely....executive producer is Dana V. Andrews. No address on the label, except a PO Box. 

Social source share

does anyone know if the second bean brothers on Davida ("I'm glad that I'm me") came out on 45? I think it was 12" only but I'm not sure, would love to see a 45 scan if it exists. 

I have a cool lyrics insert for the first bean brothers davida 45.

Social source share

For whatever reason they didn't seem to settle on a logo/label design......changing it a few times.  I posted a scan of the Dana V Andrews - Mr Justice 45 in the refosoul forum & it looks like a hand drawn logo on that one.

Anybody care to post a label discog?

Social source share

For whatever reason they didn't seem to settle on a logo/label design......changing it a few times.  I posted a scan of the Dana V Andrews - Mr Justice 45 in the refosoul forum & it looks like a hand drawn logo on that one.

Anybody care to post a label discog?

R & B Indies shows just the Bean Brothers track plus Highland Park Community Choir - "Oh God thank you/Oh God thank you (inst)"

Social source share

Here's what I've got so far.........

001 - Rev. Will Garvin "Lord, Let It Be / Pt. 2"   1979

002 - Will Jackson & the Will Garvin Singers 'Say amen' / 'I know he will deliver me' (Davida Records, Inc.) 1979

003 - Bobby Baker 'Everything has got be be alright' / 'Everything has got to be alright inst.' (Da*Vi*Da, Inc.) 1980

004 - Bean Brothers 'Without you' / 'Thang goin' on' (Davida, Inc.) 1980

005 - Highland Park Community Choir 'Oh God I thank you' / 'Oh God I thank you inst.' (Davida, Inc.) 1981

Cheers for the 001 add, DMC.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Here's what I've got so far.........

001 - Rev. Will Garvin "Lord, Let It Be / Pt. 2"   1979

002 - Will Jackson & the Will Garvin Singers 'Say amen' / 'I know he will deliver me' (Davida Records, Inc.) 1979

003 - Bobby Baker 'Everything has got be be alright' / 'Everything has got to be alright inst.' (Da*Vi*Da, Inc.) 1980

004 - Bean Brothers 'Without you' / 'Thang goin' on' (Davida, Inc.) 1980

005 - Highland Park Community Choir 'Oh God I thank you' / 'Oh God I thank you inst.' (Davida, Inc.) 1981

Cheers for the 001 add, DMC.

Then there's the earlier one I mentioned -

Dana V. Andrews - "Mr. Justice" / "Mr. Justice" Instrumental  (Davida Records)      No label # but precedes the other releases as it's year of release is 1976.

Also mentioned earlier was the 12" single DVD 1003 - Bean Brothers - "I'm Glad That I'm Me" / "Feel The Groove"  from 1981.

You can also add another 12" single - https://www.popsike.com/Private-gospel-funk-modern-soul-REV-BJ-FEARS-hear-it/280648189454.html

This last one is DVD 1002 so there could potentially be a DVD 1001 to be found.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!