Boss Sounds 2

TOAD

• Replies 16
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

just shouting this new update of a book about skinhead reggae. Well worth getting but i found a mistake within minutes ! Google for more info and scans

Looks fantastic but after reading it all (in one go) actually disappointing because they just reprinted the first one word for word and added some extras, but nowhere near enough extras, and it's just the authors favourite records basically.  And then you get like one page on an important label like Blue Cat but three pages on UK produced rubbish like the Joe label.  And yes, I agree, several errors in there as well.  Better than anything else on the market but could a missed opportunity.

Social source share

yes pete i mostly aggree witi you but still a handy referance book and the photos are brill ! Not bad for the price and theres no other book like it ? Why not publish one yourself :)

Certainly thought about it but time - money - expertise in layout - all problems.

I really wanted to see full listings of all the labels with the 'boss sounds' highlighted, not just four or five from each label.

The book is great but it really needed that.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Pete,

Wow, cool, will do!

And as always, I will buy the book, look at the nice pictures and then buy the "Tojan Ska Classics 3 CD Box Set", as I am a lazy bum :-)

Take care

Jurgen

You'll find everything in the book on Youtube Jurgen.  

Social source share

I got the first copy for free from a mate - and got the first round print of the new one offa Oldwah.

Marc wrote the first draft on his own and did a marvelous job. The original can go for three figures now (or at least did before the new one came out). After much interest he was convinced to update the original copy this time with the help of reggae collector and Graphic Designer Dave Oldwah. As I understand there were some corrections and a few extras but it was never intended to be a  different book.

Social source share

I got the first copy for free from a mate - and got the first round print of the new one offa Oldwah.

Marc wrote the first draft on his own and did a marvelous job. The original can go for three figures now (or at least did before the new one came out). After much interest he was convinced to update the original copy this time with the help of reggae collector and Graphic Designer Dave Oldwah. As I understand there were some corrections and a few extras but it was never intended to be a  different book.

I sold mine before the new one was announced and it just about sold at £60, and it was pristine - I heard those stories about it being £100 but never seen one actually go for that.  Same with Skinhead Bible, was happy to take £40 for it, people asking £75 or so have still got theirs.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!