Motown Challenge

Having great fun collecting Gordy/Motown/Tamla/Soul/V.I.P. related stuff seem to have gone full circle and getting back or buying some titles for the first time, the non hits are in the main pretty easy to get if you dig a bit and spend a bit of money, now the problem with the hits is finding them in good condition I'm talking stuff like My Girl, Dancing In The Street etc. great fun trying to find clean copies though but some what of a challenge lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Trying to find mint demos is even worse. If you want  Midnight Johnny you'll find em til the cows come home but if you want My Guy, Dancing in The Street etc it can take an age. I put it down to the Radio DJs of the day actually doing what they were designed for and playing ém.Then you've got the quandry of East or West Coast plants. West Coast Monarch are much the better choice in my opinion. Nice shiny styrene and many more available on the better designed labels Then there's the Picture Sleeves!   

35 years of upgrading and I'm STILL miles off! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Having great fun collecting Gordy/Motown/Tamla/Soul/V.I.P. related stuff seem to have gone full circle and getting back or buying some titles for the first time, the non hits are in the main pretty easy to get if you dig a bit and spend a bit of money, now the problem with the hits is finding them in good condition I'm talking stuff like My Girl, Dancing In The Street etc. great fun trying to find clean copies though but some what of a challenge lol

Mark Bicknell.

Agree, some great value to be had on Motown. Just bought Stevie Wonder Yester Me Yester etc and Never had A Dream Come True ( USA issues ) from UK sellers for a few £'s as both have great B sides. Also, recently bought Eddie Kendricks'- If You Let Me, If Anyone Can & Can't Help What i Am which are all quality IMO and again all for a few quid. With the hike in USA postage charges, can see myself buying many more like this.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

there was a copy went threw ebay a few months ago.didnt bother bidding,thinking it would go for big money.if i remember right it went for either £130 0r £170.was well annoyed i didnt even keep an eye on it.

Do you have a Canadian Linda Griner?

Social source share

..and of course you've got the European releases..45's and EP's with nice piccy sleeves, and some were never issued in North America

And it's a great way to get a "seperate" collection going without breaking the bank. I have about 400 of them, in fact I don't think any of them have cost me over a tenner. Thing is...yiou end up with about 12 differing copies of "Where Did Our Love Go" - :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And it's a great way to get a "seperate" collection going without breaking the bank. I have about 400 of them, in fact I don't think any of them have cost me over a tenner. Thing is...yiou end up with about 12 differing copies of "Where Did Our Love Go" - :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

yes but have they all got the same flip dave :P

Social source share

Dave don't set me off mate please lol there's me going along with a little dabble into Motown and you and Bri open a whole new European can of worms, not doing the Northern thing anymore I thought this would be a nice little challenge........lol mind you those picture covers do look tasty might just have a nibble lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

lable number collecting, not just the soul stuf......................in my experience its the late seventy stuff that is harder to come by, i have most of the rare items, but stuff by the commodores or the pointer sisters, jerry butler and jose feliciano were always harder to find. tha hardest on gordy dropped in  last week, frankie kahl. but it does become a question of conditon with the popular tunes. but consider this too. i have an order sheet for  martha and the vandellas "come and get these memories"  from motown that lists over 25000 copies odered for delivery all over the states and i have a delivery carton, a 500 box for gladys knight " just walk in my shoes" bound for texas, go figure

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!