• Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

150886137983.jpg

Yep agree with above , £200

It's been steadily flowing on eBay by a seller who found a box full ..

The million dollar box full with a " I'm not saying how many are in the box " tag !

Not dried up yet ,sure I saw it last week ?

Updated ..three on there now at $99 buy it now !

Edited by NEV
Social source share

• Solution

One of the sellers says it's a Detroit record. Is there any truth to that or is that just where it was pressed/found? 

There is also this version which credits Jaber Music on the flip side: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAY-RICHARDS-minneaplis-minnesota-everywhere-i-go-7-Northern-Soul-R-B-Rocker-/310561056771?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item484ee1a803&nma=true&si=IpJ1IS7FOjcQ%252Fb2%252BO6ZcLazkVus%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I believe the Ray Richards and Rufus Lumley are the same song/recording?

Edited by Nick Soule
Social source share

Got a signed plain white sleeve for this with 3 signatures on it inc Rufus Lumley that came with a copy I bought a few years back...sleeve is also stamped WORLD TRADE FAIR and have heard copies were either given away or sold at a WTF..?

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

dealer sent me this

It doesn't get any more mint than this....this Rufus Lumley 45 northern soul record was found sitting inside the actual box from the pressing plant back in the 60's.

The box is not included, but is pictured here for reference...it also contains a date of April 5, 1965...either the recording date, or more likely the pressing date.  I know the discographies have this song as being done later than that so this might shed some light on the recording. There was also a Factory Inspection Slip in the box, with the date 4/6 and the Press Operator ID and Inspector ID. 

Guaranteed never played.  A great find from here in Detroit, Michigan!

VINYL-MINT

LABELS-MINT

ORIGINAL SLEEVE

Social source share

• 1 month later...

dealer just confirmed 1 box of 25 --- with 22 left in it

he sold few to dealers ---- has 1 left for sale -- kept 2 for himself

Which dealer did you speak to Keith?

Was it the eBay seller dragonflygifts4u! cause he's got a few listed as I write.

Here's the current availability with item number:

Seller dragonflygifts4u!

181125457647 = 3 available / 3 Sold

181137049237 = 2 available /  NA

171037147106 = 1 available / 1 Sold

181133447874 = 4 available / NA

171026917301 = 2 available / NA

So that's a total on eBay of 16 plus any he sold directly to dealers..

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Just thought I'd add that if your thinking about these "too good to be true" cheapies on Ebay.

I purchased one of the £65 ones from Ebay.

Turned up today with no problems. Stone mint and original.

ATB

Doc

Social source share

Guest paul ledden

Bought this for $90 about a month ago from a US seller on eBay.....it's minter than a mint thing etc.........looked totally unplayed..... :)

post-30233-0-71423200-1368554218_thumb.j

Social source share

Its stated on the net that Rufus lived all over the US, though he never lived in Minneapolis (or Detroit).

He was born in 1938, grew up & seemed to spend much of his life in Connecticut in the area bounded by New York & Rhode Island. He went To Lodge Professional School, a high school in New York that trained actors (a sort of 'Fame' type place). It seems his main 'skill' back then was his dancing ability. In 1957, he was based out of Bridgeport and was performing locally as a 'hillbilly' singer (doing a cowboy type song  show). He then got involved with shows staged by the University of Bridgeport (around 1958/59). In 1959, he enlisted in the US Air Force and was sent to a base in Texas. No doubt his spell in the air force resulted in him 'living all over the US'. After his stint in the air force was over, he returned to Connecticut and he next turns up in the New York area trying to land a record deal. This he did, initially with Holton ( & then RCA).

As by the mid 60's, soul type songs were dominating the charts, Holton seemed to have got him to record stuff in a similar mode. In summer 1966, he was holding down an engagement singing in a Norwalk, Connecticut restaurant (accompanying himself on the organ), so his Holton record deal doesn't seem to have raised his profile that much. When signed to RCA in 67, he was sent on visits to radio stns as far afield as Chicago to plug his records. He also had a spell in LA (1968) during which he played lots of live shows (perhaps he was trying to break into acting as well). In the mid to late 70's he was living in Baltic, Connecticut (a small place between Hartford & Providence). So by 1978, he would have been 40 years old and probably gave up his dream to make it as a recording star around then and took a 9-to-5 job.

post-22122-0-09859500-1368604884_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!