Gwen Owens "just Say You're Wanted" On Jm Auction

Jim G

probably just me that thinks its a racket...a very messy. record.i dont think itll do as well as eddie parker and i would say more original copies  than eddie but most do suffer from jumping or distortion,,didnt gwen fetch a handful of copies with her when she was over?

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Last week at Prestatyn I was offered five grand for mine of a very well known dj .In all fareness that's a lot of dough however I paid either £60 or £80 for mine I'd never be able to get another so I'll keep it.so on that basis the person that offered me 5 grand last week will probably go to 5 grand so it would appear five grand plus.Regards Mrs.Velgo.

Social source share

Scans of the Gwen Owens 45 .....

Jerry Williams put me in touch with Gwen and then Rob did all of the talking that resulted in her appearance at Prestatyn

She brought 4 copies of the record with her and as I recall they were all pretty mint. 3 were sold immediately and we kept 1 which was eventually sold. I can't recall where they went.

What was interesting was that this was almost certainly a second pressing. Slightly lighter label and mastered at very very low volume. I rarely played it out as you had to really turn the volume up on the decks.

I'd always believed that the stock had been destroyed due to the 'skip' which was probably due to the record being mastered at high volume (happy to be corrected on the technical stuff). So it was amazing to discover there had been a second run.

The copy up for auction looks like the second pressing to me

Andy

post-13948-0-64716200-1363346871_thumb.j

post-13948-0-04572300-1363346931_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jerry Williams put me in touch with Gwen and then Rob did all of the talking that resulted in her appearance at Prestatyn

She brought 4 copies of the record with her and as I recall they were all pretty mint. 3 were sold immediately and we kept 1 which was eventually sold. I can't recall where they went.

What was interesting was that this was almost certainly a second pressing. Slightly lighter label and mastered at very very low volume. I rarely played it out as you had to really turn the volume up on the decks.

I'd always believed that the stock had been destroyed due to the 'skip' which was probably due to the record being mastered at high volume (happy to be corrected on the technical stuff). So it was amazing to discover there had been a second run.

Andy

They presumably did that one to replace the faulty one by which time the momentum had gone, hence it's rarity.  Though maybe that labels distribution wasn't too clever - Two Plus Two springs to mind.

Social source share

probably just me that thinks its a racket...a very messy. record.i dont think itll do as well as eddie parker and i would say more original copies  than eddie but most do suffer from jumping or distortion,,didnt gwen fetch a handful of copies with her when she was over?

No your not on your own Bro..i too think its a duffer, never known what the fuss is about :wicked:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2812782775057&set=o.232058326922913&type=1&theater

best thing what could happen to the record for me :yes:

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Gwen Owens. Great record but hardly something to get in a tizzy over.

Errr....Pete,are you being a little underwhelmed of some sorts..... :D ?

Taken in the context,of this tune's history,rarity,and the fact this particular copy in magnificent condition,I think it reasonable,IMHO,to acknowledge and say :hatsoff2: HATS OFF to JM :hatsoff2:.Simply stunning,is an understatement.A collectors dream.Don't waste yourself trying to compare it with this or that because trivial negative thinking is an excercise in futilty :P .What more could you ask for from a record that has it "all" ? Some people like it and some don't -but avoid being just blasé !!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Andy

Maybe JM could affirm whether or not it is original issue or 2nd copy re-press? His description states the disc as "rarest of the rare" and "in the finest condition possible"......would he go to those lengths for a 2nd issue re-press?

Mebbe I'm alone in thinking this but a 2nd issue re-press has as much interest as the bootleg ie. zero. Who in their right mind would bid and pay thousands for one of those? :ohmy:

Social source share

I only want the other side - 'When o when' will there be one for sale that only 'my side' plays?!!! - Purely to get the cost down (I'm not saying 'the side' is no good)

Ted - Future requests, please 'splice' in 'Still True To You' and 'Crying Clown' (Eddie Parker) when I'm next at an event where you're on - I dare ya!  :D 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

The up & coming soul film uses this, also along with Duke Browner, these standard oldies could be more demand in the next couple of years.

If I had a mint Velgo or Impact, I'd hang on to it for the near future at least....til the film comes out at least, then I'd flog em.

Aid.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

Never forget what Doni Burdick said to me at Prestatyn when his wife wanted to buy Bari Track off me and I told her it was $700 she was amazed at the price and Doni said the plant where it was pressed up was still operating and he would have to go and run one off LOL

I don't know if he was joking or not? I hope so

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Gwen Owens. Great record but hardly something to get in a tizzy over.

Corse not pete...it,s just a soul record.....now if was done by HERMANS HERMITS
Social source share

Corse not pete...it,s just a soul record.....now if was done by HERMANS HERMITS

You're getting f*cking tiresome now, change the record.

Sorry but Gwen Owens - big deal - even I've had a copy of that, it was played out by 1976 and there are numerous copies around.  What am I meant to say?

Social source share

But isn't the whole point of collecting, at this level, all about condition? That's why its still mindblowing that these 40 year old records turn up looking all shiny and new.RE: Gwen Owens....

Agree about 2 of the best NS tunes ever though.

Kev..creaming away.

Underwhelmed, yes probably.

Amused, at the sight of some of you creaming yourselves over the likes of Eddie Parker and Gwen Owens just because they might be in better nick than usual.  They've been around for nearly 40 years.

(not saying they're bad records - totally the opposite - two of the best Northern records you could ever wish to hear)

Social source share

Personally I don't like mint records If I'm buying a 40 yr old rare record I like it to ave a bit of history few marks on ect I can trace many of my rare ones back years even to the states some of the records I have these days I've had the same copy 4 or 5 times thro the years

Take Moses Dillard think twice got my current copy of Phil T he got it off Carl F Carl F got it off me I got it off Phil T who got it off me I got it off Sam i sold it to Sam ect ect lol that copy had passed thro my hands several times before that all the way back to the 80's

Ah the madness of collecting Northern Soul lol

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Personally I don't like mint records If I'm buying a 40 yr old rare record I like it to ave a bit of history few marks on ect I can trace many of my rare ones back years even to the states some of the records I have these days I've had the same copy 4 or 5 times thro the years

Take Moses Dillard think twice got my current copy of Phil T he got it off Carl F Carl F got it off me I got it off Phil T who got it off me I got it off Sam i sold it to Sam ect ect lol that copy had passed thro my hands several times before that all the way back to the 80's

Ah the madness of collecting Northern Soul lol

I'm with you on this one. Got lots of records, that have other DJ's names in the run out, or the artist has scribbled something on the record 'To a friend' etc. Even got a bunch with influential U.S. DJ's names, E Rodney Jones, Lucky Cordell, Butterball Jr, Billy Soul, Soul Patrol, etc, etc gives em real history and a connection with a time and place.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

My record box spits mint 45s back out. It refuses to accept 'em. Lord knows i've tried but it'll only take VG and downward, the stubborn bastard.

stubborn bastard........is that on LA-CINDY
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Andy

Hi there Andy I think that the skip was due to a dirty pressing plate.I know I had a long chat with Andy Dyson about this and he was adamant that the plate was damaged that would be o.k if they all junped in exactly the same place and jumped exactly the same.All the copies I've heard jump in around the same place but at differant stages of the groove that's why some jump once some twice and some worse.When any moulding is done with plastic especially p.v.c tha tooling has to be cleaned periodicly otherwise a build up of burned residue gets worse and worse.On some moulding of various products or componants you may see some pitting this is down to dirty tooling , i think this is the situation with Gwen Owens a little bit of plastic resedue and not a damaged plate.If you listen to the jumping copies the bongo's in the background are more pronounced I remember George from Derby saying He knew an original by listning to the intro as the bongo's were alway's clearer.It would appear the second runs are differant in a few obvious points and the labels seem a deeper colourI'll concure with your observations regarding the one currently available as a second run as were the demos that surface some time back that didn't jump.Although the demo's would have been done with clean plates so can't really be prooved either way unless George listens to them first!!! regards Simon.
Social source share

Might be - used to be about getting hold of records you liked, whatever the condition - but if mint records are now trophy pieces for rich people - so be it.

I'm talking about the collectors who collect the sort of stuff JM auctions.Not us mere mortals.

Social source share

Andy

Andy -you are correct,

JM has confirmed the copy he has up on auction IS indeed a 2nd pressing.....and of course looking brand new...

Albeit JM calls it an "immediate" replacement......but with remastering......

Now that this has come to light,how can it really be called an "original"?

(taking into account the changes)

Does anyone know how many of these re-presses were made?

Finally,does this re-press have ANY interest to the record collector? :g:

Social source share

Andy -you are correct,

JM has confirmed the copy he has up on auction IS indeed a 2nd pressing.....and of course looking brand new...

Albeit JM calls it an "immediate" replacement......but with remastering......

Now that this has come to light,how can it really be called an "original"?

(taking into account the changes)

Does anyone know how many of these re-presses were made?

Finally,does this re-press have ANY interest to the record collector? :g:

Surely thats taking the "original" argument too far?

Just because it wasn't in the first run of pressings and done slightly later?

Are you seriously saying this shouldn't be of interest?

The only thing that would matter to me is that its not a bootleg or one pressed years later due to demand

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The only thing that would matter to me is that its not a bootleg or one pressed years later due to demand

Common Sense Alert!

Common Sense Alert!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm with you on this one. Got lots of records, that have other DJ's names in the run out, or the artist has scribbled something on the record 'To a friend' etc. Even got a bunch with influential U.S. DJ's names, E Rodney Jones, Lucky Cordell, Butterball Jr, Billy Soul, Soul Patrol, etc, etc gives em real history and a connection with a time and place.......

Well put Dave !

I never did understand why writing on a label would de- value a record ?

If it was wrote on at the time the record was mint and not just scrawl by Jim or Julie ,it adds to the history and makes it more authentic .

A message scrawled by a band member or a note to say this is the side to play ...the X on a demo etc ..like missing pieces of a jigsaw that transform you back in time :)

Ideally ,a bit of tarnish on the label and a few marks on the vinyl ,but even better if it plays nice !

P.s

Joel ,beggars can't be choosers and be thankful for what we have eh :)

Social source share

How far is too far when originality is the issue?

In a way,you seem to indicate the originality - it is of lesser importance?

Maybe it would be easier to swallow if it had been described as a 2nd re-press from the start, because that is what this particular disc is.

It is not an original first pressing.JM further added in the description..

No argument with you as to what matters to you -fair comment.

But this is an important record....

Social source share

This reads like the OVO debate again, i.e. what is "Original Vinyl".

The fact that the maker screwed up and scrapped most of damaged copies then put out corrected copies pretty much at the same time (still rare as hell) seems like taking collecting to realms of stamp collecting. I know this important to the very collectors who bother about such things. But to my eyes the JM auction copy is stil an "original" release.

If we want OVO then, the first cut studio acetate should be one the seek out. As for this being an 'important' record, it ain't IMO, is is just a rare record...

Ducks for cover

Social source share

...do all the originals jump?..and if so were tone arms  weighted when DJ's played them..I ask because i have somewhere a tape from Cleethorpes winter gdns 1975 i think ..Sam introduces the 45 as 'the only place thats got it' i assume he was the first DJ to own/play it and i cant remember it jumping on the tape..so was it a first press with weighted arm or second press?..just curious...

Edited by SHEFFSOUL
Social source share

...do all the originals jump?..and if so were tone arms  weighted when DJ's played them..I ask because i have somewhere a tape from Cleethorpes winter gdns 1975 i think ..Sam introduces the 45 as 'the only place thats got it' i assume he was the first DJ to own/play it and i cant remember it jumping on the tape..so was it a first press with weighted arm or second press?..just curious...

When Pep used to play this it Wigan, after the instrumental break it jumped heavily two or three times.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I right in thinking the jump jumps into the beat (if you know what I mean) and isn't a train wreck obvious jump?

No it's a monster skipping jump which really puts everyone off - well it used to I mean, they often used to fade it out once the jumps began

• Helpful 1
Social source share

How far is too far when originality is the issue?

In a way,you seem to indicate the originality - it is of lesser importance?

Maybe it would be easier to swallow if it had been described as a 2nd re-press from the start, because that is what this particular disc is.

No argument with you as to what matters to you -fair comment.

But this is an important record....

So you wouldn't be interested in owning this record then?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!