Probably Get My A%&e Kicked For This

looking at the responses here... general concencus is that folk hate it (me included) .   if so, why does a dance floor light up each and every time this dreadful 'house' tune gets played at ANY venue ?

the last month, i've heard it 5 times at least,   usually twice in a session.......  but back to the question , i've no idea, sorry :hatsoff2:

Social source share

looking at the responses here... general concencus is that folk hate it (me included) .   if so, why does a dance floor light up each and every time this dreadful 'house' tune gets played at ANY venue ?

the last month, i've heard it 5 times at least,   usually twice in a session.......  but back to the question , i've no idea, sorry :hatsoff2:

Can of Worms there Ian - What other tunes ..... etc etc !!

Social source share

Because most people at those venues are........ no better not :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ian, just to piss you off   :lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

kinnell Dave couldn't you have edited down from 9.08 mins to say 9.08 secs    :wicked:

Jez, aye mate. Yeah, it's not my thing either. However I do find myself tappin' me toes to it   :lol:

Like Peter said above and I agree with him, I've heard sounds out that I hate a lot more and for me its another of those "time to go for a piss or a fag" records.

However, if folks like it and wanna get down to it then good luck to 'em, as long as they're enjoying 'emselves.

Life's like my legs mate, too fookin' short   :D

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

This record is a tribute sound and has "nothing to do" with Northern Soul.  But then some folks have only to taste c*ck once to be labelled c*ck suckers, for even responding.  

:thumbsup:

Edited by pikeys dog
play the game
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian, just to piss you off   :lol:

No f*cker can dance any more, talk about dance like ya Dad...regardless whether you like it or not, surely they could at least dance to it proper, could shuffle to this 'Northern Style' surely....talk about embarrassing.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Never understood why this is played on the Soul scene it's a House record an E or two would help though i suppose..

Think not Steve looking at that lot.............. :lol:  :lol:

Has the northern soul scene discovered the hand me down Arthur Miles - Tripping On Your Love/Helping Hand - yet ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

collected soulful house since 1989, and I bob Sinclair is one of the worst examples I've ever heard. It epitomises the piss poor taste of many NS fans, sorry if its harsh do its seldom I hate a tune with such passion. Intereste to know if it gets or got plays on the modern scene though, anyone? 

just seen the pres comment, 

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Got played in the modern room on Friday night at Prestatyn and went down a storm, different story when you hear these tracks loud 'n proud whilst being appreciated by an up for it dance floor

could explain away the mystery of half of Russ playlist from 1974

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Damn right it did and everyone, hipsters, modern soulies and old soulers included stampeded to the floor. I was there watching it happen @ Prestatyn 'cos I was curious how the DJ's would get that floor going. When "Tribute" came on I was there tapping my foot and smiling with a general sense of goodwill to all mankind, as was everyone else. It's an infectious, commercial, catchy and happy slab of dance music. It has exactly the same appeal as the Brother's "Are You Ready For This" in being infectious and appealing to a wide audience. A good vibe record which packs the floor and gets a nice equilibrium going with most crowds, whether they know the record or not. "Tribute" was the perfect record for that crowd on a Friday night (along with "The Way You Love Me" - Ron Hall & The Mother Funkas).

I honestly don't know how people can slate this record. This track gets the worst press of all time - "too cheesy", "a disgrace", "what The f*ck does that French b*stard know about real soul" etc, etc.

But records like this, which people actually want to dance to, are the lifeblood of this scene. If you have 800 people in a packed room on a Friday night, believe me, they're not going to be into the aesthetics of analysing the merits or rarity of a tune. No sirree. Leave that to a Sunday lunchtime or Tuesday evening session with a bunch of old blokes comparing dead wax scribes. On a Friday night of a major weekender, they wanna dance.

I actually applaud the DJ who played this last Friday, since most DJ's wouldn't have touched this with a barge pole due to credibility issues (on the basis that there's no point in being uncool by playing a piece of cheese by a French house producer when you can play something 'credible' for the chin-strokers). He made the right decision - the vibe of the whole place was electric and this was the record that lifted everybody. I was kinda surprised that he had the guts to play it and equally surprised with the brilliant reaction. People love this record. Dismiss it at your peril.

Ian D :D

Ian, I still hate it, but you defended it so well you should have gone into law, you been watching suits? For me I think the reason I hate it so much is down to it just being too 'up' and I like things a little on the blue side personally, soul and all other genre's have to by slightly bittersweet to appeal, Thats why I love Ron hall, hell I used to dismiss everything on Motown as just pop. in fairness to the original poster, its a little off putting to a casual user to be so negative about something thats obviously liked by many, so, sorry, but I still makes me cringe.   

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Damn right it did and everyone, hipsters, modern soulies and old soulers included stampeded to the floor. I was there watching it happen @ Prestatyn 'cos I was curious how the DJ's would get that floor going. When "Tribute" came on I was there tapping my foot and smiling with a general sense of goodwill to all mankind, as was everyone else. It's an infectious, commercial, catchy and happy slab of dance music. It has exactly the same appeal as the Brother's "Are You Ready For This" in being infectious and appealing to a wide audience. A good vibe record which packs the floor and gets a nice equilibrium going with most crowds, whether they know the record or not. "Tribute" was the perfect record for that crowd on a Friday night (along with "The Way You Love Me" - Ron Hall & The Mother Funkas).

I honestly don't know how people can slate this record. This track gets the worst press of all time - "too cheesy", "a disgrace", "what The f*ck does that French b*stard know about real soul" etc, etc.

But records like this, which people actually want to dance to, are the lifeblood of this scene. If you have 800 people in a packed room on a Friday night, believe me, they're not going to be into the aesthetics of analysing the merits or rarity of a tune. No sirree. Leave that to a Sunday lunchtime or Tuesday evening session with a bunch of old blokes comparing dead wax scribes. On a Friday night of a major weekender, they wanna dance.

I actually applaud the DJ who played this last Friday, since most DJ's wouldn't have touched this with a barge pole due to credibility issues (on the basis that there's no point in being uncool by playing a piece of cheese by a French house producer when you can play something 'credible' for the chin-strokers). He made the right decision - the vibe of the whole place was electric and this was the record that lifted everybody. I was kinda surprised that he had the guts to play it and equally surprised with the brilliant reaction. People love this record. Dismiss it at your peril.

Ian D :D

i dont agree ian.. since when was the northern scene all about wally party dancing coz thats what its turned into

Edited by dave pinch
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

i suppose it depends on the dj really does he play to the floor or for his self i brought it not played it as yet but if it was asked for i would. At the end of the day it working . i have seen hardened soulies dancing to this so are they hand baggers to.  Remember not so long ago folk were asking for Duffy mercy it had its day and went this one will do the same.  At the end of the day. body's on dances floors is what its about. On a personal note i don't like it but if djs only brought records that he liked then his set would soon become boring same old same old i have a few tunes in my box that i don't like but buy them because other do. Dance floors should dictate  .  My opinion is if it works play it.We cater to a very wide variety of punters these days we have to keep this scean alive and at the moment this is working. Rant over sorry folks """""""""""" :hatsoff2:          

Edited by night nurse
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

So if its only about bodies on dancefloors why not play Kylies version of Time Will Pass You By....I'm sure it will fill the floor.Bob Sinclair is cheesy okey cokey music for Saturday night discos.This is denying thousand of great sixties and seventies records airtime.I would rather hear Gregory Porters 1960 What being played..

Hear hear!!

Social source share

In answer to the original post you will have to either;

1. Make your own MP3 from your vinyl copy (real easy), or;

2. Download it form a dodgy source as MP3. (There are one or two of them out there) or;

3. Ask one the kind SS members to rip it for you an email it, or;

4. Rip the MP3 from a You Tube video (real easy)

As for the second debate about it's validity to be played out I think that it should be separate topic. I love it (and own the 12 inch copy), and for me it is no different to say Blackpool Mecca playing The Trammps "Disco Inferno", Crown Heights Affair "Galaxy of Love" etc.  (which is did) amongst the rare stuff. It is just a record that has found it's place in the weird and wonderful scene we all enjoy. And, it is way better then some other pop stuff that gets played under the label of 'Northern Soul" (e.g. Benny Troy, Rueben Howells, etc.) Just MHO.

Right, off to get my breakfast..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

So if its only about bodies on dance floors why not play Kylies version of Time Will Pass You By....I'm sure it will fill the floor.Bob Sinclair is cheesy okey cokey music for Saturday night discos.This is denying thousand of great sixties and seventies records airtime.I would rather hear Gregory Porters 1960 What being play

agree but no one would play that although i did hear a Beatles tune at a venue what was that all about lol

Social source share

Everything that is wrong with the scene (if you can call it that) is summed up in this post

No DJ worth his salt should have and play records they dont like.

We shouldn't have to cater for a wide variety of anything

Jean Genie punters and MacDonalds records, thank god there's still proper venues like Lifeline,  Burnley & the 1

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Hilarious ! Jive bunny meets p*iss poor impersonation of 'house' music with alleged soulful uplifting voiceover.

Is this a cover up ? Pete Waterman ?

Social source share

i suppose it depends on the dj really does he play to the floor or for his self i brought it not played it as yet but if it was asked for i would. At the end of the day it working . i have seen hardened soulies dancing to this so are they hand baggers to.  Remember not so long ago folk were asking for Duffy mercy it had its day and went this one will do the same.  At the end of the day. body's on dances floors is what its about. On a personal note i don't like it but if djs only brought records that he liked then his set would soon become boring same old same old i have a few tunes in my box that i don't like but buy them because other do. Dance floors should dictate  .  My opinion is if it works play it.We cater to a very wide variety of punters these days we have to keep this scean alive and at the moment this is working. Rant over sorry folks """""""""""" :hatsoff2:          

you buy reciords coz others like them and you dont...........what is that all about

• Helpful 1
Social source share

you buy reciords coz others like them and you dont...........what is that all about

Not sure anything's changed there, back "in the day" all the dj's had to have the same top sound or they'd be left behind, they probably didn't all like them but knew they'd get asked for them so they made sure they'd got them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!