Milton Bennett - What's One More Lie

Guest SteveC

Guest SteveC

All tongue in cheek this but since I first heard this track I've been hooked and for me the record oozes big production, awesome strings and great backing vocals.

Seems there are two cuts/versions (took Ady ages to admit it even tho it was so bloody obvious :thumbsup: ), the Marconi MC Big up on NYE mix and the one that Ady actually plays out.

Incidentally for me the Marconi mix is superior - but thats the by and by.

Now we've all had a bit of trouble deducing some of the lyrics from some of our beloved tracks at some point but take a listen to Mr Bennett's vocals very near to the beginning of the song and tell me he doesn't sing "It's a reptile".

Molly and I take great pride in that we pointed this out to Ady and subsequently proved the point by frog marching him to my car during the 100 club event and proving it. No matter how hard he tried to deny it the conclusion was an overwhelming "Yes - he's giving it the snake talk" (even tho Molly nearly turned turncoat!!! :( )

Take a listen and maybe someone can point the obvious out to us. Upon arrival home Carole mentioned that it might be "Erectile" he's singing :wicked: but I'm not convinced.

Ladies and gents - your call!!!

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest MOLLY

All tongue in cheek this but since I first heard this track I've been hooked and for me the record oozes big production, awesome strings and great backing vocals.

Seems there are two cuts/versions (took Ady ages to admit it even tho it was so bloody obvious :huh: ), the Marconi MC Big up on NYE mix and the one that Ady actually plays out.

Incidentally for me the Marconi mix is superior - but thats the by and by.

Now we've all had a bit of trouble deducing some of the lyrics from some of our beloved tracks at some point but take a listen to Mr Bennett's vocals very near to the beginning of the song and tell me he doesn't sing "It's a reptile".

Molly and I take great pride in that we pointed this out to Ady and subsequently proved the point by frog marching him to my car during the 100 club event and proving it. No matter how hard he tried to deny it the conclusion was an overwhelming "Yes - he's giving it the snake talk" (even tho Molly nearly turned turncoat!!! :huh: )

Take a listen and maybe someone can point the obvious out to us. Upon arrival home Carole mentioned that it might be "Erectile" he's singing :lol: but I'm not convinced.

Ladies and gents - your call!!!

Definitely "Reptile" mate just keeping you on your toe's :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Definitely "Reptile" mate just keeping you on your toe's :huh:

Leave my toes out of it - I still bear the scars (on my toes) from when you persistently dragged me round those cobbled streets of Dublin!!!!!! wacko.gif

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

Leave my toes out of it - I still bear the scars (on my toes) from when you persistently dragged me round those cobbled streets of Dublin!!!!!! wacko.gif

But I seem to remember "Flying" not walking round Dublin ! You know like Dolly did in the early hours of Sunday morning :huh::lol: "It's not my fault Doll".....

Social source share

Guest SteveC

But I seem to remember "Flying" not walking round Dublin ! You know like Dolly did in the early hours of Sunday morning :thumbsup::huh: "It's not my fault Doll".....

:huh::lol:

Social source share

I think it's " ? chile" as in child. But whatever it is this is a great great record.

agree with Billy on both counts here, sounds like he's saying "it's a wreck child" but then I'm deaf in one ear!

Social source share

Guest johnm

I slowed it down (without affecting pitch) and think it is

"When the lipstick that was over your lips oh girl is all over your neck child"

so she has been canoodling with someone......

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Fascinating guys and good work. The "All over your neck child" line was never in doubt but the "reptile" line was and this is the best diagnosis as yet. "Its a wreck child" sounds more than feasible and is in context too.

Come on Ady - make those calls and clarify m8. :unsure:

Social source share

Great detective work folks, I think you're along the right lines there.

When Steve and Molly abducted me to their car at 6.30 am during the 100 Club nighter, all I could hear was "It's A Reptile" but I think it was such a bizarre idea, I couldn't think of anything else. I'll try and get the writers on it.

It should have come out on NF Porter's Lizard label!

Social source share

Guest johnm

I think the next line is

"And what am I supposed to do when the (hell ??) that you went through

such pain to do It's a wreck child"

not sure about the (hell ??) part but that's what I hear....

Social source share

Not sure about what he says but he says it with some style, jeez, that almost had me dropping the gin bottle and thinking must get out that armchair one weekend, only almost!!

Great record Mr C. (Steve and Ady whistling.gif:thumbsup: )

A few more like that and I might even book that stage coach down to the smoke!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!