Billy Woods, Let Me Make You Happy

I know it was played at the Mecca but think the copies came from John at soul bowl so May have been same time at Wigan and cleethorpes.

Ian Levine and Richard Searling snagged copies from John for £3 apiece. I turned one down at the same price to my everlasting regret!

Ian D :D

Social source share

£3.00 then £2000.00 or thereabouts now why regret it Ian lol

My big, big mistake. Can't win 'em all. The minute John told me it was on Sussex I just wasn't interested 'cos I figured it would turn up in quantity. How wrong I was ay. At the time everywhere I went seemed have 1000's of Sussex cut-out 45's - Soul Searchers, Bill Withers, Dennis Coffey etc, etc, so I just figured there'd be a least a couple of thousand of ANY record on Sussex knocking around. Since then, only 6 copies I think......?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This maybe against the grain...But I got to be honest, I always thought it was ok, but nothing really special... Obviously mega rare and all that, Maybe you just had to be there type of track....Personally I wasn't and this is just another OK 7ts dancer... not worth £2k but such is record collecting...

Not to leave on a negative note, but might I suggest The aristocrats - Lets Get together Now as something along the same lines, but far superior imo...

Mal.C

Is this a 70s recording?

Always had in in my head as 60s but just listened to it and not so sure.

Not that it matters, just never had it pigeon holed that way in my mental filing system  :huh:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Is this a 70s recording?

Always had in in my head as 60s but just listened to it and not so sure.

Not that it matters, just never had it pigeon holed that way in my mental filing system  :huh:

Word was and I don't know how true it is that JA picked up a finger full. When he went back the rest had gone ... but where?

or was that Don Gardner "Cheatin' Kind"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Word was and I don't know how true it is that JA picked up a finger full. When he went back the rest had gone ... but where?

It was Billy Woods, if you dig deep on Soul Source you can find the story. But from memory JA picked up a handful from a guy who had a stack of them and when he went back for the rest they were binned and gone.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

It was Billy Woods, if you dig deep on Soul Source you can find the story. But from memory JA picked up a handful from a guy who had a stack of them and when he went back for the rest they were binned and gone.

Cheers mate, yeah that sounds more like it   :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was chatting to JA just after I had bought one from Manship (£70 about '84/5) and he told me he got 5 Billy Woods at the same time as he picked up several other things in 5 counts. He didn't mention leaving any behind though.

Social source share

John told me he got them from the engineer when the label went bust for the first time and the engineer hadn't been paid by Sussex and just had these 200 or so records that he'd managed to get his hands on. Worth asking him about it when you se him, it's a good story.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Billy Woods - 2K?

When? .......in 1998?

Anyone wants to shift a Billy Woods that plays well all the way through at 2k I'm yer man. 

Regards,

Dave

Dave I just put £2000.00 as a price to show the difference I don't know what you would have to pay to get one I do know where there s a virtually mint copy though .

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Ian Levine and Richard Searling snagged copies from John for £3 apiece. I turned one down at the same price to my everlasting regret!

It was £8.00 Frank! I bought mine at the same time as Richard ,one Sat morning at Soul Bowl. I wasnt keen on the record at the time but Mr Searling said that whatever else I bought that morning I wasnt to leave without a copy.

Social source share

Didn't one go under the hammer a few years ago, and I'm not talking about an auction!

I seem to remember the same thought it was about £2,500

Social source share

I guess I am the lucky one. Bought it for about £55 from memory back in about 1980. Top top tune. Always reminded me of WC the long hot summer of 76, light starting to break through as dawn approached. La la etc.  

Then sold it to Dave Raistrick with a load of other stuff in mid 80,s.

Managed to re buy it from a friend who got it from another friend. The owner was having a bad time on chemicals and this, The Salvadors, The Martels and a couple of others were under the bed in a cardboard box.

Condition not great BUT got it back in about 96/97 maybe. Not for sale. Even missing on Van McCoys discog. It is listed but no picture. 

Still would like to know how many there are. I know 1 turned up after the original find by JA as Carl Willingham got it. BUT how many are there around I wonder.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i bet theres 20 copies in the country.....still not a lot in the scheme of things

I'll be a bit more conservative and say 12. It's an incredibly rare record. No one who was connected with Sussex at the time that I've managed to speak even knew of it. Clarence Avant, who owned Sussex didn't know it. Harry Weinger who runs the Universal catalogue which now owns Sussex didn't know it. Effectively this is a none record. :g:

I've been to lengths to try and find a box of these somewhere. They must have pressed at least 500. So where the hell did the other 488 ( :lol: ) go?

This was a successful independent label with great promotion and distribution and Bill Withers selling millions of records. Billy Woods was a Van McCoy song and production so it's almost inconceivable that they would go the trouble of printing a handful of copies. My guess is that this record may have come on the cusp of Clarence switching distribution or something and got lost in the shuffle. I'll try and do a bit of research but I'm betting this was the last release before some kind of switch. And then everyone conveniently forgot about it, until some annoying Scotsman turned up in the early 70's........ 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll be a bit more conservative and say 12. It's an incredibly rare record. No one who was connected with Sussex at the time that I've managed to speak even knew of it. Clarence Avant, who owned Sussex didn't know it. Harry Weinger who runs the Universal catalogue which now owns Sussex didn't know it. Effectively this is a none record. :g:

I've been to lengths to try and find a box of these somewhere. They must have pressed at least 500. So where the hell did the other 488 ( :lol: ) go?

This was a successful independent label with great promotion and distribution and Bill Withers selling millions of records. Billy Woods was a Van McCoy song and production so it's almost inconceivable that they would go the trouble of printing a handful of copies. My guess is that this record may have come on the cusp of Clarence switching distribution or something and got lost in the shuffle. I'll try and do a bit of research but I'm betting this was the last release before some kind of switch. And then everyone conveniently forgot about it, until some annoying Scotsman turned up in the early 70's........ 

i think they were distributed by buddah all thru that time :g: are they all promo`s thats surfaced thusfar

Social source share

I'll be a bit more conservative and say 12. It's an incredibly rare record. No one who was connected with Sussex at the time that I've managed to speak even knew of it. Clarence Avant, who owned Sussex didn't know it. Harry Weinger who runs the Universal catalogue which now owns Sussex didn't know it. Effectively this is a none record.

I've been to lengths to try and find a box of these somewhere. They must have pressed at least 500. So where the hell did the other 488  go?

Ian D

Has anybody ever seen a discography of the label complete or otherwise?

Where about's does the Billy Woods 45 fit in time wise?

Is there anything else on the label which suffered the same or similar fate as "Let me make you happy"?

And finally is this the only known release by him?

Where did he come from? And where did he go?

Derek

Social source share

Has anybody ever seen a discography of the label complete or otherwise?

Where about's does the Billy Woods 45 fit in time wise?

Is there anything else on the label which suffered the same or similar fate as "Let me make you happy"?

And finally is this the only known release by him?

Where did he come from? And where did he go?

Derek

Same Billy Woods as the guy on Verve ?

Other Sussex 45s have turned out be harder to find than expected.... Sharon Ridley for example....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just checked Popsike to find only one Sussex original documented.

BILLY WOODS "Let Me Make You Happy" (Sussex 213)

End price:  USD  5750

End date:  2007-07-11

Start price:  USD  100

Start date:  2007-07-04

Number of  bids:  19

Description/Condition (from the seller):  

Here's one of the rarest  NORTHERN SOUL 45s from the 70s  -  Billy Woods'   "Let Me Make You Happy"  b/w  "That Was the Love That Was".

I found this record in a box of exclusively BUDDAH label related 45s that I uncovered while cleaning out one of my record stores' storage areas. There were hundreds of records on the Sussex, Buddah, Kama Sutra, Cobblestone and Smobro labels, 95% of which were promos and none of which appeared to have been used.  They probably were from a label rep who retired in Virginia Beach, Va.  I recall winning them at an auction there years ago and simply must have forgotten about them.

This record is in beautiful VG+ ('a' side') to VG++ ('b' side) condition, with the important 'b' side being the cleanest.  It appears to be unused, but does have a few very light sleeve scuffs.  

It's a "DJ" copy that is clearly marked "NOT FOR SALE", and has bright, clean, centered labels.  It comes with the original Buddah label inner sleeve.

And also at the risk of answering my own questions (hahaha) Popsike made me reckon the Billy Woods on Verve is the same geezer we’re on about — check the label on “I don’t want to lose your love” to see Sussex Productions Inc.

post-1224-0-70317500-1363817654_thumb.jp   post-1224-0-18154000-1363817661_thumb.jp

It's all good fun innit.

Derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....of all the people who need to be interviewed at great length for a book John Anderson is top of my list.

He's probably found, seen and looked at more records than any other person dead or alive. 

He's probably forgot more than everybody on this forum put together knows.

If he said yes - I'd switch the tele off, lock the front door and set off to Kings Lynn now.

Derek

The scene that we're all a part of was built on and around that man

Hold your Horses Derek

John been living in Scotland for the last 5 years.

Dave

P.S that's some more petrol money you've saved.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just checked Popsike to find only one Sussex original documented.

BILLY WOODS "Let Me Make You Happy" (Sussex 213)

End price:  USD  5750

End date:  2007-07-11

Start price:  USD  100

Start date:  2007-07-04

Number of  bids:  19

Description/Condition (from the seller):  

Here's one of the rarest  NORTHERN SOUL 45s from the 70s  -  Billy Woods'   "Let Me Make You Happy"  b/w  "That Was the Love That Was".

I found this record in a box of exclusively BUDDAH label related 45s that I uncovered while cleaning out one of my record stores' storage areas. There were hundreds of records on the Sussex, Buddah, Kama Sutra, Cobblestone and Smobro labels, 95% of which were promos and none of which appeared to have been used.  They probably were from a label rep who retired in Virginia Beach, Va.  I recall winning them at an auction there years ago and simply must have forgotten about them.

This record is in beautiful VG+ ('a' side') to VG++ ('b' side) condition, with the important 'b' side being the cleanest.  It appears to be unused, but does have a few very light sleeve scuffs.  

It's a "DJ" copy that is clearly marked "NOT FOR SALE", and has bright, clean, centered labels.  It comes with the original Buddah label inner sleeve.

And also at the risk of answering my own questions (hahaha) Popsike made me reckon the Billy Woods on Verve is the same geezer we’re on about — check the label on “I don’t want to lose your love” to see Sussex Productions Inc.

attachicon.gifBilly Woods.jpg   attachicon.gifBilly Woods Verve.jpg

It's all good fun innit.

Derek

One of many possible reasons for Billy Woods poor promotion or lack of release may be down to the fact that Buddah (Sussex distributor) was being taken or about to be over by 20th Century about that time and the release just got lost. This was the reason for the non release of the recent Oliver Cheatham track "Don't Pop The Question etc" When Bill Miller (song's producer) checked his records he remembered that he was messed about by Buddah for nearly 12 months after they expressed an interest in licencing it, with the deal just fizzling out.

Maybe one of many possible answers ?

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Interesting label really. Tons of Van McCoy productions and original versions of future hits for Gladys Knight and David Ruffin with Faith, Hope & Charity, some really great signings with Sharon Ridley, Zulema and Ralph Graham, some funk with Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers and Creative Source, some throwback stuff with the Lee 'Shot' Williams, the Presidents and the Decisions, some majorly oddball white and C&W stuff and Bill Withers. 

I think the Buddah promotion and distribution was kind of patchy over some periods. I'd routinely find multiple counts of Buddah, Invictus/Hot Wax and Sussex 45's all over the place. They probably used indie promotion and just concentrated on working the actual hits and pretty much dumped the other stuff.

Should be more Billy Woods out there somewhere though.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This maybe against the grain...But I got to be honest, I always thought it was ok, but nothing really special... Obviously mega rare and all that, Maybe you just had to be there type of track....Personally I wasn't and this is just another OK 7ts dancer... not worth £2k but such is record collecting...

Not to leave on a negative note, but might I suggest The aristocrats - Lets Get together Now as something along the same lines, but far superior imo...

Mal.C

I like the aristcrats but billy woods has a northern appeal beyond that, its got a commercial, catchy, edge that puts in the top draw when you add the rarity factor, both are great records but one has that 'up' quality, Hate to admit it but tonally its not disimilar to that Bob sinclair record I love, what it called? thats it Tribute. :thumbsup:   

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....of all the people who need to be interviewed at great length for a book John Anderson is top of my list.

He's probably found, seen and looked at more records than any other person dead or alive. 

If he said yes - I'd switch the tele off, lock the front door and set off to Kings Lynn now.

Derek

The scene that we're all a part of was built on and around that man.

Absolutely right Derek. The man has forgotten more than most people know......

Derek

The scene that we're all a part of was built on and around that man.

Social source share

One of many possible reasons for Billy Woods poor promotion or lack of release may be down to the fact that Buddah (Sussex distributor) was being taken or about to be over by 20th Century about that time and the release just got lost. This was the reason for the non release of the recent Oliver Cheatham track "Don't Pop The Question etc" When Bill Miller (song's producer) checked his records he remembered that he was messed about by Buddah for nearly 12 months after they expressed an interest in licencing it, with the deal just fizzling out.

Maybe one of many possible answers ?

Dave

i dont mean to be scaremongering or anything like that but i think there be a couple of boxes of promo`s lying around waiting to be found probably with other buddah distributed stuff in the usa somewhere..stands to reason

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!