Stafford Top Of World - Popcorn?

Cheers for that.  Found the majority on YouTube, but not all.   I imagine Valerie and Nick - It Aint Like That (Glover) are Ashford & Simpson. 

These tunes have a similar chararcteristic, unfortunately it's a beat that I can't dance to  :(  :(

i can name some records that i own that come up on youtube as "top popcorn sounds":

mitty collier - pain (chess)

deloris hill - true confession (companion)

dorothy berry - you better watch out (planetary)

jean knight - love (tribe)

kitty love - power of love (dade)

maxine davis - really got it bad for my baby (guyden)

valerie and nick - it aint like that (glover)

patience valentine - unlucky girl (sar)

pearlean gray - don't rush me baby (dcp)

all great tunes!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A broad generalisation - Most of the sets in the main room contained lots of fisrt time out tunes, mixed in with loads of 2nd time out tunes, the odd 3rd time out tune, and the even fewer in number tunes that may have lasted 5 or 6 niters (So maybe a ten to twelve week period?

To counter Geordies very valid point. The quality of all the DJs at Stafford wasnt restricted to just the main room. The downstairs room, and the upstairs rooms roster were just as good. It wasnt like you were feeling short changed if you went to one of the other rooms (The upstairs didnt open for the first year or so I seem to remember. It was downstairs initially in a much smaller room). As you say Dave Allcock, Steve Smith, Gary Rushbrooke, Ady Pountain, so many others...the Djs in there were playing sets that would be just as exciting as the guys in the main room. Often we'd spend a whole night in the other room, just cos it was great.

I wonder if part of the reaon for the quick turnover, was the fact that there were more people able to 'uncover' a song in 1985, than there were in 1974? I have no idea if this is true. but I did meet so many people at Stafford who's knowldge was unbelievable. And so if Pat Brady say had a first time out tune, you could be sat close to any number of guys (Butch, Dean Anderson etc, and they'd all sagely nod and say oh this is so and so on that lable.) Then Dean would have it for sale at the next nighter, probably for twice the price it was before :thumbup:

Social source share

sheer Madness, could you imagine half a dozen Northern folk giving it loads in the middle of that lot.... love to see that..Laughs  

Isn't it Fabulous Music we all share, even if it is sped up...

Probably already happened.  Half a dozen Northern uk soulies (on a long weekend in Brussels), just about to turn in for the night.... suddenly 'hear' mid-tempo Motown, coming from a basement of a nearby club.  They investigate further... !

Social source share

I think the first half of this recent clip gives a good indication of the Popcorn dance style. It degenerates into general disco towards the end.

Thanks for posting the clips.  Quite interesting!  Footwork jive, but the upper body (inward/ outward turns) reminds me of East Coast swing (which is a Country & Western dance).  You need a certain degree of dancefloor etiquette for partner dancing, and it shows. These folks are lovin' it.

Popcorn backdrop @ 8:43 !

atb

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!