Fantastic Four Ric-Tic 113

boba

I'm sure that this must have been discussed at some point, and I would just say "no" as I would have seen it in a manship auction or on ebay at some point, and I've never seen it. But I've had people in real life tell me it does. The people on this forum would definitely be the experts on this specific topic though. Does it? If not, does someone have an acetate or something. Thanks in advance.

Social source share

The only reference I have ever seen to RT113 is ...

Fantastic Four "Can't Stop Looking For My Baby" (Vocal)  / (Instrumental)

... in the Sharon Davis book from the 90's

So it would appear that Ric-Tic "thought" about this release enough to document it, but that was probably as far as it went before the number was even mastered (although a GW acetate would not be competely out of the question - maybe - one can hope)

Shame that when the Fantastic Four was released on it's later number, the Instrumental was dropped.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

So it would appear that Ric-Tic "thought" about this release enough to document it, but that was probably as far as it went before the number was even mastered (although a GW acetate would not be competely out of the question - maybe - one can hope)

Shame that when the Fantastic Four was released on it's later number, the Instrumental was dropped.

Cheers

Mick

Yes, have heard that Fantastic Four theory before - think it must have been back in a copy of "Detroit City Limits" - will see if I can find it when I get a minute.

I wonder if that pre-dated the Sharon Davis book - it might have done?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

This thread is still sort of ambivalent. Still, the record is such an important northern 45 that I would think it would definitely be known here if even an acetate exists. I'm just going to say it doesn't exist. Thanks everyone.

Social source share

This thread is still sort of ambivalent. Still, the record is such an important northern 45 that I would think it would definitely be known here if even an acetate exists. I'm just going to say it doesn't exist. Thanks everyone.

Ho Bob

Yes, to be clear - I have never seen anything tangible - only rumours - such as than the references above - so would agree it doesn't exist.

The unlucky 13 theory would also help to support this.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

same here, but ive not seen it anywhere. i use ray bartletts book as a catalouge and it is in  as a double sider, unissued. making 119 the first fantastic four on the label. maybe it was a contractual thing! as all others have a no 13........... miracle, i believe stopped at 12, from memory.

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

I doubt that it was even "Thought of", as it was Ed Wingate's policy to not use #13.  Golden World #12 and #14 came up long before Ric Tic 112 and Ric Tic 114.  Golden World never had a #13.  Why, all of a sudden, would they plan a Ric Tic 113?  Later, Wingate skipped # 013.  In 1972, Ron Murphy purchased all the back stock of Ed Wingate's labels, complete with catalogue lists.  There was no listing for Ric Tic 113.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I doubt that it was even "Thought of", as it was Ed Wingate's policy to not use #13.  Golden World #12 and #14 came up long before Ric Tic 112 and Ric Tic 114.  Golden World never had a #13.  Why, all of a sudden, would they plan a Ric Tic 113?  Later, Wingate skipped # 013.  In 1972, Ron Murphy purchased all the back stock of Ed Wingate's labels, complete with catalogue lists.  There was no listing for Ric Tic 113.

Yep, sure you're right, I was just trying to suggest a possible reason for the reference to exist in the first place. I had never heard of it prior to SD reference, so I wonder where it originally came from.

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Is the Sharon Davis book MOTOWN THE HISTORY ? because if it is I just checked my copy and there is no reference to a title in the RIC-TIC discography for RT113. My copy was published in 1988 and unless the discography was altered in a later edition then the number does not feature in the book. Incidentally the numbers RT 121 Fantastic 4 and 125 Willie G are absent from the list as well. All of this is academic in reality because RT 113 does not and never has existed. The story has been told many times of Ed Wingate's aversion to the number 13. A renowned inveterate gambler and horseplayer he was very superstitious and never used the number 13.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is the Sharon Davis book MOTOWN THE HISTORY ? because if it is I just checked my copy and there is no reference to a title in the RIC-TIC discography for RT113. My copy was published in 1988 and unless the discography was altered in a later edition then the number does not feature in the book. Incidentally the numbers RT 121 Fantastic 4 and 125 Willie G are absent from the list as well. All of this is academic in reality because RT 113 does not and never has existed. The story has been told many times of Ed Wingate's aversion to the number 13. A renowned inveterate gambler and horseplayer he was very superstitious and never used the number 13.

Well the copy I saw was in the early nineties, I don't know if the book had been updated by then. I was as John Pughs house and he had the book there. If John sees this then hopefully he can clear it up, although as you say, it is all academic as there is no RT113 full stop.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

The Golden World Engineer and also James Stanford (Cassablanca) he was Ed Wingates chaufer and ended up with the remaining stock of 45s after Motown bought Mr Wingate out both told me many moons ago that as said before RT113 and RT126 never came out due to superstition reasons

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Golden World Engineer and also James Stanford (Cassablanca) he was Ed Wingates chaufer and ended up with the remaining stock of 45s after Motown bought Mr Wingate out both told me many moons ago that as said before RT113 and RT126 never came out due to superstition reasons

Eeyup mate, that's also what Tony Coleby [r.i.p.] told me also

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for clearing it up Robb (again).....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!