Renfro Demo's

Kev John

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There's an instrumental  of "A Case Of Love" on a one sided white demo, credited to the Renfro Orchestra and strangely subtitled ("Doctors Theme").

I am sure these are Simon Soussan jobs, but I saw one last week for the first time since 1989 so they are scarce.  Also in the JM book but not listed as a bootleg.

Social source share

There's an instrumental  of "A Case Of Love" on a one sided white demo, credited to the Renfro Orchestra and strangely subtitled ("Doctors Theme").

I am sure these are Simon Soussan jobs, but I saw one last week for the first time since 1989 so they are scarce.  Also in the JM book but not listed as a bootleg.

Far as I know these WDJs are legit and done by Anthony Renfro himself. Thing is....I can't remember why I think this. :(

I have one and would appreciate any confirmation from anyone?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Far as I know these WDJs are legit and done by Anthony Renfro himself. Thing is....I can't remember why I think this. :(

Regards,

Dave

It's certainly a curious item.  Must have slipped under the radar for most.

Social source share

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

What does the deadwax read may give someone a clue if legit ?

regards Kev

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Hi Dave

What does the deadwax read may give someone a clue if legit ?

regards Kev

All the following lightly scratched in;  Renfro   127 - A    then an oval with DD inside and finally  R - 127 - A   all in a different style/font than my other Renfro 45's.

One most reminiscent of being a demo is The Stunners - Nobody But Me  - 120.

Social source share

Kev.

Deadwax reads

Renfro 127 A, then a hand drawn oval with the letters DP or DD scratched in, then R-127-A, and finally directly opposite, a Star of David stamp

n.b. the B side looks like it has been sanded off!  

post-1893-0-22042300-1363537438_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

All the following lightly scratched in;  Renfro   127 - A    then an oval with DD inside and finally  R - 127 - A   all in a different style/font than my other Renfro 45's.

One most reminiscent of being a demo is The Stunners - Nobody But Me  - 120.

Snap  :lol:

Social source share

I bought it in the late 70's from Max Millward.  

The record is vinyl with a thicker, 1 cm bit round the outer edge - a bit like those Marvin Holmes "better keep her" vinyl issue on Brown Door.

I called JM about this a few years ago and he said the they were boots.

I quite like it as it has that bit of counting in at the start!!

Cheers.

Kev Bod

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

I have a white label test press of John Wesley's "Don't Give It Away/Just Believe" Renfro 114 all the mattrix numbers in the run out groove are the same as the issued release. The only difference being the label credits are hand written but credit "Don't Give It Away" to a one Paul Henry?

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

I have a white label test press of John Wesley's "Don't Give It Away/Just Believe" Renfro 114 all the mattrix numbers in the run out groove are the same as the issued release. The only difference being the label credits are hand written but credit "Don't Give It Away" to a one Paul Henry?

Dave

Hi Dave 

Could you give the matrix details please ? 

thanks Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!