News: It's Better To Cry

Mark I'd love to know more about the process of getting the book published via Blurb.  What did you design it on - the layout etc - and how do you go about getting it to Blurb?  They obviously print off copies as and when, I just bought one and they said it would go to print in an hour.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is the book in colour or B&W ... I'm a bit confused ... Or do you get to choose !!!

Do you simply "add to cart" .....

Am I over analysing this

Andy

B&W only & you do simply "add to cart"   It then takes you through to payment details etc.

It's easy peasy ... even I did it 

Regards

Ali 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is the book in colour or B&W ... I'm a bit confused ... Or do you get to choose !!!

Do you simply "add to cart" .....

Am I over analysing this

Andy

It's black and white Andy but don't you find the concept quite exciting?  You can write a book, send the publishers a master copy and when you sell one, they just print it off!  No more minmum print runs.  I'm seriously planning something now...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's black and white Andy but don't you find the concept quite exciting?  You can write a book, send the publishers a master copy and when you sell one, they just print it off!  No more minmum print runs.  I'm seriously planning something now...

It does seem pretty cool to be able to do that

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi folks, thanks for the interest and hope you enjoy the book. More than happy to discuss self publishing but I will take this to freebasing as a separate thread, probably more appropriate there. Regarding version available for sale, only b&w available at present for a couple of reasons, one being that the charity which all the profits go to get a much bigger slice because of cheaper print costs. I had a big dilemma on this. That said I do have some colour versions versions coming in but will be a month or two off.

Thanks for all the interest, Mark.

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I purchased the book .. eventually ... well done Mark you did a fantastic job .. a thoroughly enjoyable and informative read. I take my hat off to you for investing the time and energy to record the details of such a musical legacy.

I would urge you all to go get a copy

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Andy, glad you liked it. Have just arrived back UK-side from Charlotte NC. Met up with Nat Speir from the Rivieras and Van Coble from The Tempests (they were a big help in the book for stories and contacts), good ole guys with some more great stories to include in the next edition! Nat and his wife Trish took us around Charlotte, unfortunately most of the old sixties beach music clubs in Charlotte are knocked down now to make way for skyscrapers (likewise all the original beach Pavillions along the coast are pretty much gone) but we did at least manage to locate The Cellar. 

Postage is £4.99 for a two week delivery to the UK. Other shipping details are at the bottom of the web page. This is set by the company, as the book is print on demand in the Netherlands (or the US if stateside), so has to be posted from there. 

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Me, the family and Nat Speir trying to find the old Cellar venue. Seems like the last brick building on this side of Charlotte, tucked away behind a parking lot and a load of skyscrapers....

post-14816-0-87428500-1367350854_thumb.j

post-14816-0-18591100-1367350893_thumb.j

And a random one of the Stax museum bogs in Memphis...

post-14816-0-03275800-1367351137_thumb.j

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Me, the family and Nat Speir trying to find the old Cellar venue. Seems like the last brick building on this side of Charlotte, tucked away behind a parking lot and a load of skyscrapers....

attachicon.gifpics 004.jpg

attachicon.gifpics 005.jpg

And a random one of the Stax museum bogs in Memphis...

attachicon.gifpics 001.jpg

Nice photo's Mark (even the one in the bogs :lol: )

Haven't had chance to read the book yet, as I've been up to my eyeballs with work & studying  :(  

Now that my studying is out of the way, and I've got a nice long weekend ahead, I'm really looking forward to starting the book  :thumbup:   

Once again, well done for getting this off the ground  :thumbsup:

Have a lovely bank holiday 

Ali x 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Quick update, as well as the colour and B&W softback options, I have just uploaded a colour PDF version tonight which can be purchased at the Blurb website. You'll find it here (select PDF / softback as appropriate):

https://www.blurb.co.uk/b/4222235-it-s-better-to-cry-colour-version

Just another option. Tried to do ebook conversion but unfortunately the (early) software package I used can't handle the process.

Mark

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, in an effort to present this work through every media known to man, just a wee note let y'all know I've started a blog which will eventually include all the book content and much more besides, can be found at...

southernsoulcollector.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers, 

Mark

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!