Jessica & Essica Records

• 2 weeks later...

jessica 401   willie small    how high can you fly /  say you will  (eddie silvers)

essica 404   curtis smith    the living end / say you will    (curtis smith)

both records have the same  "say you will " on them and  have Angie music BMI on them ,

I have played the tracks and they have the same delivery of  "say you will".

I can only assume that Willie Small and Curtis smith are the same person!!!

Social source share

jessica 401   willie small    how high can you fly /  say you will  (eddie silvers)

essica 404   curtis smith    the living end / say you will    (curtis smith)

both records have the same  "say you will " on them and  have Angie music BMI on them ,

I have played the tracks and they have the same delivery of  "say you will".

I can only assume that Willie Small and Curtis smith are the same person!!!

Some of the Curtis Smith are miss-pressed with How High Can You Fly on them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the info I've got:

Jessica 401 - Willie Small How High Can You Fly / Say You Will - 1965
Jessica 402 - Rozetta Johnson - That Hurts / It’s Nice To Know — 1965
Jessica 403 - ?
Jessica 404 - Almost certainly released as Essica 404
Jessica 405 - Little Edith - I Couldn’t Take It / I Believe In You - 1965

Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / How High Can You Fly - 1965
Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / Say You Will - 1965
Essica 002 - Francis, Ruff And The Illusions - Give Me Mercy / Misery Loves Company - 1966
Essica 004 - C-Quents - It’s You And Me / Dearest One - 1966

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think everything on Jessica is Milwaukee, always thought it was a milwaukee label. I never made the connection to Essica before though even though it clearly is connected. The c-quents are from DC and ruff francis and the illusions are a white band from new york (they have or at least had a web page). I've never seen two curtis smiths on essica, but one of the sides got released on the local chicago Doma label.

There is an Essica 005, it is a very rare release by the Sharpees, I don't have it but know someone who does.

Social source share

I've never seen two curtis smiths on essica

They actually look the same -- it's only when you play them that you realise that they have different tracks on...

Social source share

They actually look the same -- it's only when you play them that you realise that they have different tracks on...

yeah, I googled and found that, the discography should maybe state that the label is the same but plays a different track (ideally with deadwax info to tell).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Don't know if the deadwax info is different or not and I'm at work now and records at home, so...  Will try to remember to check tonight...

Social source share

Don't know if the deadwax info is different or not and I'm at work now and records at home, so...  Will try to remember to check tonight...

And now she's at my house, and the records are at her house.............but I'll remind her to check on Tuesday :thumbup:

Jessica 403 - ?

This is the one that's bugging me though, I've been trying to find out what it is, or whether it even exists for several months now, and drawn a blank everywhere.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Willie Small on JESSICA

401-A on "How High Can You Fly" and 401-B on "Say You Will"

Correctly pressed Curtis Smith on ESSICA:

3135 IRC/45 on "The Living End" and 401-B on "Say You Will"

Mis-pressed Curtis Smith on ESSICA:  

3135 IRC/45 on "The Living End" and 401-A on "Say You Will" (plays "How High Can You Fly")

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• 7 months later...

I think this is pretty much correct now.

Jessica 401 - Willie Small - How High Can You Fly / Say You Will - 1965
Jessica 402 - Rozetta Johnson - That Hurts / It’s Nice To Know — 1965 (Also released on Atlantic 2297)
Jessica 403 - ?

Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / Blank - 1965 (DJ Copy only)
Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / Say You Will* - 1965 (*Also released on Doma 101)
Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / How High Can You Fly - 1965 (To complicate matters more, the two labels actually read the same, ie ‘The Living End / Say You Will’ . It’s only from listening to the records or checking the matrix numbers that you know that ‘Say You Will’ plays ‘How High Can You Fly’ which is identical to ‘How High Can You Fly’ by Willie Small)
Essica 002 - Francis, Ruff And The Illusions - Give Me Mercy / Misery Loves Company - 1966
Essica 005 - The Sharpees - Just To Please You* / Hug Me Tight - 1966 (*Also released as One-derful 4839)

Jessica 001 - Reuven Kall & Margaret Hines - Main Man / Misty - 1982 (There is also a slight possibility that this is the same label because of the St Louis connection)

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

• 1 month later...

There is an Essica 005, it is a very rare release by the Sharpees, I don't have it but know someone who does.

Hi Bob,

Did you get anywhere with obtaining a scan of this ?

It's really strange, normally if you do an search of the net for a record you can find some reference to it, either as a past sale, or on a playlist, but I can't find a single thing about this release other than the reference you made to it above. So a scan would be really useful.

I'm beginning to piece the story of the label together slowly, I've now made contact with Curtis Smith, and sent him a series of questions, which will answer a lot of the queries that are still outstanding.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

We spoke to Curtis Smith last Saturday night. he's confirmed as much of the information as he could remember, and added quite a bit of other information that now needs following up.

A couple of things for now:

The label is definitely St Louis

Willie Small & Curtis Smith are one and the same person

Curtis Smith has a long history as a guitarist, with a variety of bands going back to the late Fifties, in the Chicago area.

He remembers playing guitar on 'Do The 45' and 'Just To Please You' by The Sharpees

I'm currently writing up the interview notes into an article, which I'll post here with lot's of label scans, and artist photos.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

We spoke to Curtis Smith last Saturday night. he's confirmed as much of the information as he could remember, and added quite a bit of other information that now needs following up.

A couple of things for now:

The label is definitely St Louis

Willie Small & Curtis Smith are one and the same person

Curtis Smith has a long history as a guitarist, with a variety of bands going back to the late Fifties, in the Chicago area.

He remembers playing guitar on 'Do The 45' and 'Just To Please You' by The Sharpees

I'm currently writing up the interview notes into an article, which I'll post here with lot's of label scans, and artist photos.

Thanks Dave , i had a hunch " Willie S n Curtis S "were the same guy.

I'll get you a pint in the Blue Posts.

many thanks for the info everyone.

cheers Frank

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I think this is pretty much correct now.

Jessica 401 - Willie Small - How High Can You Fly / Say You Will - 1965

Jessica 402 - Rozetta Johnson - That Hurts / It’s Nice To Know — 1965 (Also released on Atlantic 2297)

Jessica 403 - ?

Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / Blank - 1965 (DJ Copy only)

Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / Say You Will* - 1965 (*Also released on Doma 101)

Essica 404 - Curtis Smith - The Living End / How High Can You Fly - 1965 (To complicate matters more, the two labels actually read the same, ie ‘The Living End / Say You Will’ . It’s only from listening to the records or checking the matrix numbers that you know that ‘Say You Will’ plays ‘How High Can You Fly’ which is identical to ‘How High Can You Fly’ by Willie Small)

Essica 005 - The Sharpees - Just To Please You* / Hug Me Tight - 1966 (*Also released as One-derful 4839)

Jessica 001 - Reuven Kall & Margaret Hines - Main Man / Misty - 1982 (There is also a slight possibility that this is the same label because of the St Louis connection)

Ironically , i've found a copy of Curtis smith  (sitting in one of my boxes) , say you will on Doma records too,

just one to add to the list.

regards Frank

regards Frank

Edited by Bossfourpart1
Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!