New Sounds " New Sounds "

Hi Andy,

I've got the P vine album and to be honest the sound is a bit muddy. Not sure how the original album sounds because I thought it was stupidly rare. But what a voice on 'don't take your love from me' :hypo:

Social source share

Hi Andy,

I've got the P vine album and to be honest the sound is a bit muddy. Not sure how the original album sounds because I thought it was stupidly rare. But what a voice on 'don't take your love from me' :hypo:

Hi Binsy my mates got the Turbo release,he rekons the P Vine release has the better sound quality..........anyway do you fancy letting it go.

Social source share

Don't Take Your Love ..... absolutely the best track on the album .... just brill :ohmy:

Social source share

Don't Take Your Love ..... absolutely the best track on the album .... just brill :hypo: [

Christian H used to have this Turbo and played it at Real Side. Was a bit muddy that one as well So prob in the tracks nature ( or another victory for the 45... :D ) not heard the P Vine myself though . great track tot agree :ohmy:

Edited by Soulof
Social source share

Guest Dodger

Andy, I've got the PVine LP and never play it these days, it's a minter. PM me an offer and I might think about letting it go.

Cheers

Roger

Social source share

any chance of anyone sticking up the track discussed above (or more from the album)? don't know it, would love to hear it? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Andy,

I've got the P vine album and to be honest the sound is a bit muddy. Not sure how the original album sounds because I thought it was stupidly rare. But what a voice on 'don't take your love from me' :thumbsup:

Classic Sylvia Robinson crappy ampex 2 track recording like so many on Turbo / Stang / All Plat etc. - you cannot get a good recording of this without digital remastering.

Social source share

Pretty sure it's Robert Tanner singing lead on this ... tip top and no mistake! :thumbsup:

Thats what I'm led to believe too blush.gif

Brilliant LP that every good home should have a copy of :lol:

Social source share

Classic Sylvia Robinson crappy ampex 2 track recording like so many on Turbo / Stang / All Plat etc. - you cannot get a good recording of this without digital remastering.

According to Greg Tormo, in an old issue of Shades Of Soul, the group said they recorded and produced the tracks themselves, and the record was issued without their knowledge or approval. George Kerr also registered himself as the writer of the songs, despite the fact that the group had written them, apparently...

The sound is poor on the Turbo original and reportedly worse on P-Vine which I believe was recorded from the Turbo album and not from mastertape. The LP can't really be played out on most normal club systems, the low bass causes a minor earthquake almost. The thing to do is to have some expert digitally remaster the tune from the LP and then play it off CD or a dub.

Social source share

"Tell Me Your Name" is clearly one of the best track on the album, much better than "Sweet Memories" anyway. Different lead vocalists on this and "Don't Take Your Love" obviously. It is probably Robert Tanner singing on "Tell Me Your Name". It also came out on a Megatone 45 in a different version but I have yet to hear that one. Anyone have an mp3 of the Megatone 45 version please?

Such a shame "Don't Take Your Love" never came out on a properly mastered Turbo 45 with "Tell Me Your Name" on the flip. whistling.gif

New_Sound___Tell_Me_Your_Name.mp3

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Theres a CD compliation with 'Don't Take Your Love' on it. It was remastered from a Turbo album (no tapes available) and is the best quality currently available.

Social source share

According to Greg Tormo, in an old issue of Shades Of Soul, the group said they recorded and produced the tracks themselves, and the record was issued without their knowledge or approval. George Kerr also registered himself as the writer of the songs, despite the fact that the group had written them, apparently...

The sound is poor on the Turbo original and reportedly worse on P-Vine which I believe was recorded from the Turbo album and not from mastertape. The LP can't really be played out on most normal club systems, the low bass causes a minor earthquake almost. The thing to do is to have some expert digitally remaster the tune from the LP and then play it off CD or a dub.

Yeah but mastering was by the Robinsons - we see it time and time again with their early output. They didn't get a decent production deck until oooh 1974-5 I reckon when they started having all those big hits....and this pre dates that. AGree both versions are recorded poorly and the reissue will blow out the woofers on many speakers. :huh:

It's Robert Tanner on lead on "Sweet memories" as well.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Played the album right through last night before wrapping it up to send to Andy and the sound isn't actually as bad as I remember when I last played it (around 1997!!). But it's nowhere near as bad as the sound on the Ultimates album, I was totally pissed off when I received that one, it sounds like it was recorded from a 20 year old cassette tape. :huh:

Social source share

Played the album right through last night before wrapping it up to send to Andy and the sound isn't actually as bad as I remember when I last played it (around 1997!!). But it's nowhere near as bad as the sound on the Ultimates album, I was totally pissed off when I received that one, it sounds like it was recorded from a 20 year old cassette tape. ranting_1.gif

Ah yes it's well known amongst the secret squirrels of the rare soul scene that the Ultimates LP is to be avoided on account of abyssmal sound. We should have pre warned you about that :shades:

Social source share

ME & TUBS GOT OFFERED TO BUY THIS IN ABERDEEN IN 1991 FOR 100POUNDS ON TURBO.WE THOT IT WAS TO PRICEY.YOU LIVE & LEARN :lol:

i bought that album from the guy bin aberdeen but unfotunatly dont have it anymore swapped it for fred and the turbines-bernadine best £100 i ever spent thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Ah yes it's well known amongst the secret squirrels of the rare soul scene that the Ultimates LP is to be avoided on account of abyssmal sound. We should have pre warned you about that :lol:

It was a trade a few years ago for a couple of sevens I didn't care about, so at least I wasn't out of pocket. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Yeah but mastering was by the Robinsons - we see it time and time again with their early output. They didn't get a decent production deck until oooh 1974-5 I reckon when they started having all those big hits....and this pre dates that. AGree both versions are recorded poorly and the reissue will blow out the woofers on many speakers. whistling.gif

OK, that sounds reasonable. I've never played the reissue, only the original, and that couldn't really be played out on a club system without major readjustments, and then it still had way too much low bass.

Social source share

Played the album right through last night before wrapping it up to send to Andy and the sound isn't actually as bad as I remember when I last played it (around 1997!!). But it's nowhere near as bad as the sound on the Ultimates album, I was totally pissed off when I received that one, it sounds like it was recorded from a 20 year old cassette tape. whistling.gif

I don't know about the P-Vine issue but the Turbo one sounded OK when you played it at home, it's when you play it out on a large system that the fun starts. whistling.gif

Social source share

Theres a CD compliation with 'Don't Take Your Love' on it. It was remastered from a Turbo album (no tapes available) and is the best quality currently available.

It's on 'Flying High' - The Modern End Of Northern Soul - On The Real Side 2 - CMRCD830 via Sanctuary came out in 2003, compiled by a certain gentleman Mr Simon White, and a fine CD it is too i might add and as Simon states you won't hear a better reproduction than on this compilation.....awesome track.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I remember thinking I was being very slick (yeah oil slick more like) when I persuaded a Japanese student at work to translate the words on the insert contained within the P.Vine album for me. Agreed to pay her by the hour thinking she'd rattle through it. Thought it was gonna talk about the history of the group, where its members came from blah blah blah. All I got was some ball bag along the lines of "Hi my names Leo, my star sign is cancer and I like walking across meadows full of butterflies in the sunshine". B*stards. Paid her £25 for it despite me telling her my mum was poorly. Obviously I never printed her translation and I quickly stashed it in a file under my bed. Oh well, derek

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 15 years later...
On 15/05/2006 at 18:28, Guest said:

Does anyone out there have an index of 'Shades' showing which issue Greg's interview on The New Sounds is in, please ?

Social source share

Hi Andy

Thanks for your feedback.

I did check with DP first - not at his fingertips, sadly  LOL                                                                                           His personal index doesn't show anything identifying the article.

Best, Garry

Social source share

For anyone who wants The New Sound LP it was issued on a CD by Outta Sight in 2011, coupled with the Willie and West -At Their Best LP plus Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories. The sound quality is fairly good, much better than most Turbo/Stang vinyl . At present it is listed as being in stock on their web site.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!