Is Curtis Mayfield Move On Up Uplifting

and me , one of my all time top tunes ......didn't some bloke on soul source not that long ago' say curtis was over rated and hasn't made a good record :ohmy: , i could not believe  it 

absolute fool whoever it was. the man was a genius on an equal par with marvin and jb in my book. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Course it ismCurtis my favourite by far artist.Loved all the albums,Back to the world,Superfly etc,He was always my at home album of choice,same as my mate Wilkys,spent good times listening to Curtis doing Underground and other political stuff during the week as a change from all nighter sounds at the weekends and on some other weekdays.Cutis r.i.p  has a timeless voice ,you could never confuse him with another on first hearing a record of his.Move on up totaly uplifting but as well as loads of his others Youve been cheating with the impressions just drips soul.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Byrney

and me , one of my all time top tunes ......didn't some bloke on soul source not that long ago' say curtis was over rated and hasn't made a good record :ohmy: , i could not believe  it 

Someone did, but I recall they were being ironic with tongue firmly in cheek.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

been one of my fav records for years makes me feel good to be alive

hell yeah

particualrly the 12 minute extended version with the bongo madness in it

Social source share

Just reminds me of Scoeys soul club when I was a teenager - Just an amazing record even if the Lp version does go on a bit long!

The first words grip you into the song - "Hush now Child - and dont you cry"

Hey, I practically lived at Scoey's when I was kid....and you're right 'Move On Up' was never off the juke box, everytime I hear it, it takes me back to that place and time :)

.....and I've gotta say the extended LP version is a masterclass in soulful percussion.... :yes:

Social source share

Great track - I always think of the first time I heard it on the radio as a 7-year old in 1971.

This has always been my problem with this track...that it was a huge pop hit in 71, and that spoils it as a northern record for me.

Some of the other ex pop hits like LOAMT Robert Knight and the Motown stuff, like the Elgins, Tears of a Clown etc were released because they were played at northern venues and then became hits, but MOU does not have that background and I am still a bit surprised it is played.

I know things like Mel Torme, another pop hit will be thrown at me, but I don't think that should be played either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't realize that he was behind the Curtom label or that he had written so much stuff...............hits for Billy Butler, Major Lance and the fascinations!

Curtom sound, Curtis, Impressions, Leroy Hutson and Natural Four to name a few, is as good as anything in black musical history

Kev

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Curtom sound, Curtis, Impressions, Leroy Hutson and Natural Four to name a few, is as good as anything in black musical history

Kev

Yes I got a copy of the three disc "Curtom Story" which has good "sleeve notes" so I'm just catching up on all his stuff but I didn't realize how prolific he was, going right back to the mid-60's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That was actually a wind up by Joel in the thread on funk at Northern venues.

"Move On Up" has simply got to be one of the greatest records ever made. That's not a claim I would throw around lightly.

One I've never owned because it doesn't need to be owned. It's in your heart because it's elemental. Like Carbon or Oxygen.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Yes it's a great track - along with loads of other stuff he's done. I like this

More to the man than just music.

Peter

Love this album Peter,phookin magic,bought it after seeing the film Superfly when it first came out at the pictures,I went to see it at basildon when I was about 14 as part of a midweek cinema visit they used to do from my approved school ardale nr Grays.There was about half a dozen of us went and within a couple of weeks we nearly all had a copy of the lp and it got hammered loads in the record room.Seems as fresh as the day every listen Over the tears the song has meant more and more to me and myfriends ,some sadly gone but they arent going to be forgotten by me.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Love this album Peter,phookin magic,bought it after seeing the film Superfly when it first came out at the pictures,I went to see it at basildon when I was about 14 as part of a midweek cinema visit they used to do from my approved school ardale nr Grays.There was about half a dozen of us went and within a couple of weeks we nearly all had a copy of the lp and it got hammered loads in the record room.Seems as fresh as the day every listen Over the tears the song has meant more and more to me and myfriends ,some sadly gone but they arent going to be forgotten by me.

Hiya Manus

I hope you're well. It is indeed a top album with lots of powerful messages. The man was a poet.

Peter

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Hey remember watching him in black n white on top of pops wi mi mam performing "Move on up" :thumbsup:  Think it change mi life ! or certainly mi music one :yes:

stevie

Social source share

This has always been my problem with this track...that it was a huge pop hit in 71, and that spoils it as a northern record for me.

Some of the other ex pop hits like LOAMT Robert Knight and the Motown stuff, like the Elgins, Tears of a Clown etc were released because they were played at northern venues and then became hits, but MOU does not have that background and I am still a bit surprised it is played.

I know things like Mel Torme, another pop hit will be thrown at me, but I don't think that should be played either.

Because they lack obscurity/rarity? I know what you mean. As a teenager it was drilled into me that NS had to be rare, obscure etc. I felt ill at ease one night at Wigan when they played "Nowhere To Run" and "Another Saturday Night" in the main hall. I absolutely LOVED (and love) these records outside the NS context but I felt I'd been sort of short changed that night, even though it was an oldies all-nighter. "Move On Up" gives you wings, it's an incredible tune, but I'd rather hear other stuff out to be honest...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some of the other ex pop hits were released because they were played at northern venues and then became hits, but MOU does not have that background and I am still a bit surprised it is played.

Mmmm it's interesting you say that - 'Move On Up' was before my time and I always sort of assumed it was initially a big underground northern hit which then crossed over into the pop charts.

So wasn't 'Move On Up' played much as a new release then on the northern scene?

And the reason this thread caught my eye was that only a few days ago after I'd been out walking mi dog near Shipley I called into a co-op in Saltaire on mi way home for some bits n bats. As I was bending over to examine the fresh bread 'Move On Up' came on over the in house radio.

It still sort of shocks me somewhat to hear it in places like this but I do feel an element of pride knowing that our scene helped to make it the classic it is.

And just like The Beatles its the sort of track you'll hear every now and again on the radio or where ever till the day I die.

To be honest I could never dance to it as it's so bleeding fast - does anybody know what its BPM is?

Still love to hear it though - uplifting is such a great word to describe it.

And from a collectors point of view - it wasn't a hit on release in America, that's why US copies are pretty rare and a lot more expensive (seen demo's @ £50 last year).

Derek

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mmmm it's interesting you say that - 'Move On Up' was before my time and I always sort of assumed it was initially a big underground northern hit which then crossed over into the pop charts.

So wasn't 'Move On Up' played much as a new release then on the northern scene?

And the reason this thread caught my eye was that only a few days ago after I'd been out walking mi dog near Shipley I called into a co-op in Saltaire on mi way home for some bits n bats. As I was bending over to examine the fresh bread 'Move On Up' came on over the in house radio.

It still sort of shocks me somewhat to hear it in places like this but I do feel an element of pride knowing that our scene helped to make it the classic it is.

And just like The Beatles its the sort of track you'll hear every now and again on the radio or where ever till the day I die.

To be honest I could never dance to it as it's so bleeding fast - does anybody know what its BPM is?

Still love to hear it though - uplifting is such a great word to describe it.

And from a collectors point of view - it wasn't a hit on release in America, that's why US copies are pretty rare and a lot more expensive (seen demo's @ £50 last year).

Derek

It's connection to the Northern Scene, as far as I know, is via Dave Evison who played it 'by mistake' one night at Wiganin the late 70s. He was keeping an eye on things for a DJ who'd gone for a leak and had to pull a record out quickly and stick it on.... The crowd must have reacted favourably as it came to be identified with Dave Evison... So the scene never really had a part in the record's success, unlike stuff like Tammi Lynn, The Tams etc...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

He's done better records.. Can't stand it myself. One of the records that for some reason the i can't stand modern soul fraternaty love. Ranks along with Sister Sledge Love don't go, in my opinion.

Social source share

Course it ismCurtis my favourite by far artist.Loved all the albums,Back to the world,Superfly etc,He was always my at home album of choice,same as my mate Wilkys,spent good times listening to Curtis doing Underground and other political stuff during the week as a change from all nighter sounds at the weekends and on some other weekdays.Cutis r.i.p  has a timeless voice ,you could never confuse him with another on first hearing a record of his.Move on up totaly uplifting but as well as loads of his others Youve been cheating with the impressions just drips soul.

just imagine being a young black man in the usa back in the day this came out and hearing this and the line "take nothing less than the supreme best" enough said ?

Social source share

Yes it's a great track - along with loads of other stuff he's done. I like this

More to the man than just music.

Peter

thanks for posting this up just about my all time favourite curtis track :yes: every line (pardon the pun)and lyric just so bang and still so poignant today play this to most young music lovers that ain,t really into soul usually love the groove instantly but even more when they take in the lyrics,something curtis would have been proud of as i guess that was his intention anyway

dave L

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Dave

No problem mate. I love lots about the record - but love the spoken intro. Curtis is so cool - he was a poet and musical genius and as you say sooo relevant to today. He was probably also the father of drum and bass!

Peter

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Up to everyone i guess on opinions

He's done better records.. Can't stand it myself. One of the records that for some reason the i can't stand modern soul fraternaty love. Ranks along with Sister Sledge Love don't go, in my opinion.Absolutely nothing wrong with the sister sledge track commercial maybe but still a decent record up to you mate

Social source share

Curtis Mayfield was my introduction to soul music around 20 years ago.  Jamaican music has always been my first love and a mate told me that just about every rocksteady tune ever was a CM cover.  So I got a best of the Impressions LP and been hooked on soul ever since.  Move On Up is his greatest tune of course.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!