Is Curtis Mayfield Move On Up Uplifting

Mmmm it's interesting you say that - 'Move On Up' was before my time and I always sort of assumed it was initially a big underground northern hit which then crossed over into the pop charts.

So wasn't 'Move On Up' played much as a new release then on the northern scene?

And the reason this thread caught my eye was that only a few days ago after I'd been out walking mi dog near Shipley I called into a co-op in Saltaire on mi way home for some bits n bats. As I was bending over to examine the fresh bread 'Move On Up' came on over the in house radio.

It still sort of shocks me somewhat to hear it in places like this but I do feel an element of pride knowing that our scene helped to make it the classic it is.

And just like The Beatles its the sort of track you'll hear every now and again on the radio or where ever till the day I die.

To be honest I could never dance to it as it's so bleeding fast - does anybody know what its BPM is?

Still love to hear it though - uplifting is such a great word to describe it.

And from a collectors point of view - it wasn't a hit on release in America, that's why US copies are pretty rare and a lot more expensive (seen demo's @ £50 last year).

Derek

I Thought for a moment then you were going to say as you moved your head from the fresh bread counter the dog ( well known for his northern soul taste ) went into a spin and shimmied along the counter :) with a big paws up sign lol 

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I'd say one of the most progressive vocal and musical piece's of all time can you imagene being in the studio when this little baby was cooking ? kind of thing you want playing in the car on the way to rob a bank really gets the adrenaline soaring through the brain in a away it's audio amphetamine regards Simon.Hi Carms hope your on the mend sweet girl xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Social source share

Up to everyone i guess on opinions

He's done better records.. Can't stand it myself. One of the records that for some reason the i can't stand modern soul fraternaty love. Ranks along with Sister Sledge Love don't go, in my opinion.Absolutely nothing wrong with the sister sledge track commercial maybe but still a decent record up to you mate

Just reminds me of fat bald blokes in flight jackets.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!