Price Please - Kenny Smith - Gar Stock Copy

Pete S

Got one Pete, cost me around £100 a couple of years ago.  Seen one recently ( a week or 2 ago ), issue, for £100. Not much movement on it. 

Seen a few over the past few years on Gold Spot ? The first release which may be keeping the price of the gar one down.

That on does look mint though.

Social source share

Issue and promo of the original GAR have the gospel fade out. The pressing does not. For me the fade out makes the record in that it sounds incomplete without it. When it's played out the gospel ending is really powerful even if people can't dance to it.

The Goldspot is a strange one. I have my doubts about when this would have first appeared and wonder if it was ever available to record buyers in Ohio.

The GAR issue looks very nice and you should get £150 for it all day long.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Issue and promo of the original GAR have the gospel fade out. The pressing does not. For me the fade out makes the record in that it sounds incomplete without it. When it's played out the gospel ending is really powerful even if people can't dance to it.

The Goldspot is a strange one. I have my doubts about when this would have first appeared and wonder if it was ever available to record buyers in Ohio.

The GAR issue looks very nice and you should get £150 for it all day long.

Never saw the Gold Spot until a few years ago.  Always believed the GAR to be Orig first release.  Not 100% sure on the History of this - Enlighten me time !

Social source share

Yogi Haughton played KS at our last OHS in the back room and I was amazed at how different (more complex) it sounded on a state of the art sound system.

It sounded amazing.

Could have been the 'new' version maybe?

There was a totally new mix of it on a cd released a few years back.

Also the Goldspot one is a different version.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The CD version Kenny Smith put out a few years ago is basically a new, tweaked mix of the Goldspot one. 

The Golspot arrangement is different in a number of ways. Organ at the start. No tack-piano throughout as per the GAR version. Heavy string section in the chorus. No acapella fade-out.

Not as good to my ears, but others may disagree.

Rumour is that Kenny Smith was approached to put this out specifically for the UK scene at the time the GAR was going big. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suspect the General American was the version which US record buyers were able to go into a shop and buy in the early seventies.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Gareth, just found this from the below page

issued in 1971 as the first and only release on Kenny's own Goldspot label, (originally titled "Lord, What's Happened?"), the record was written to cash in on a particular trend that Kenny describes as the "Jesus-rock era." "It was just a market or a trend that was going on at the time, so I thought it would fit," Kenny explains. Some label owners from Chicago thought that it would fit as well. They picked up "Lord..." to re-release on their General American Records imprint.

https://www.shakeitrecords.com/cincinnatisoulspectrum/smith/

Social source share

Very interesting this. One of my favorite records. I have a Goldspot one. To me the Goldspot version sound a little less "slick". The GAR one being more polished. In a similar way to the Natual Four - "I though you were mine" - Boola Boola and ABC versions. Personaly, I'd have thought the more polished version came second. I like both and would buy Pete's if I hadn't spent enough this month!! (and last month, and the month before, and.........)

Here's a link I came across that lists Ohio Soul.

Kev Bod

https://www.ohiosoulrecordings.com/g.htm

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

This is correct, regarding Goldspot. The Goldspot label 45 I have is from 1971, it's a QCA pressing and has all the proper markings from that operation. This is confirmed by other people who were there at the time and had the Goldspot 45. There may have been a second pressing on the Goldspot label but I've never seen it, as I am in the US and have no personal connection to the UK Northern soul scene.

Gareth, just found this from the below page

issued in 1971 as the first and only release on Kenny's own Goldspot label, (originally titled "Lord, What's Happened?"), the record was written to cash in on a particular trend that Kenny describes as the "Jesus-rock era." "It was just a market or a trend that was going on at the time, so I thought it would fit," Kenny explains. Some label owners from Chicago thought that it would fit as well. They picked up "Lord..." to re-release on their General American Records imprint.

https://www.shakeitrecords.com/cincinnatisoulspectrum/smith/

Social source share

Goldspot was originally the name of Kenny's BMI music publishing. Slambeat was Jim Mills' BMI publishing. Mills started the GAR label in 1965, based out of Missouri, I think he was a college student at U of M. Later he moved to Illinois, and then Cincinnati. There were three incarnations of the GAR label, with the Cincy one being the last.

Social source share

This is correct, regarding Goldspot. The Goldspot label 45 I have is from 1971, it's a QCA pressing and has all the proper markings from that operation. This is confirmed by other people who were there at the time and had the Goldspot 45. There may have been a second pressing on the Goldspot label but I've never seen it, as I am in the US and have no personal connection to the UK Northern soul scene.

Thanks for clearing this up George.

Social source share

Thanks for that George, Were there any other records on the Goldspot label?

Also, always sruck me as an odd design. It's my understanding that on some American 45s, a "blob" of gold paint was used to indicate a "deleted/returned" record, a bit like the drilled hole. Loads of copies of The Steinways 45 on Oliver have this. So havng a label that looked like it was deleted from day one was crazy!!

Of course, I may be talking complete rubbish as usual.

Cheers

Social source share

Also, always sruck me as an odd design. It's my understanding that on some American 45s, a "blob" of gold paint was used to indicate a "deleted/returned" record, a bit like the drilled hole. Loads of copies of The Steinways 45 on Oliver have this. So havng a label that looked like it was deleted from day one was crazy!!

Cheers

No you're right, it was ABC and it's subsidiaries that used a spot of gold paint for deletions instead of drill holes.

Social source share

I paid £100 for a much poorer looking one (issue) although plays well. I don't think that the fact it sits in a sales box at £150 means that much regarding what it would go for on-line to a wider market (no disrespect to poster at all). Given condition Pete I think you would easily land £200. Ex+ records are becoming increasingly difficult and with the HM customs charges biting buying habits from the US UK sales are looking more tempting.

I'm not doing my pal SteveL any favours here, I vaguely remembering him mentioning to me he wanted one but he will only purchase Ex/Ex+/Mint. PM him if you want to Pete.

Social source share

I paid £100 for a much poorer looking one (issue) although plays well. I don't think that the fact it sits in a sales box at £150 means that much regarding what it would go for on-line to a wider market (no disrespect to poster at all). Given condition Pete I think you would easily land £200. Ex+ records are becoming increasingly difficult and with the HM customs charges biting buying habits from the US UK sales are looking more tempting.

I'm not doing my pal SteveL any favours here, I vaguely remembering him mentioning to me he wanted one but he will only purchase Ex/Ex+/Mint. PM him if you want to Pete.

Thanks Dean but we won't agree on condition I'm afraid  :)

Social source share

I dId open the lid pete :D ,and i go to venues all over the place every wkend.Have spun it a few times at various places and its bombed on the dance floor which really suprised me.

If I sell this one and get more than one customer I'll pass them onto you if you like.

Social source share

Nothing else on the Goldspot label. There are recordings by other artists of Kenny's songs and published by Goldspot publishing - see the comment I made above where Goldspot was originally Kenny's BMI publshing name. 

Cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!