Does Modern Soul Suck?

Maybe if we concentrated on spinning cheeper lesser known 60's a bit more, it just seems that some nights although northern nights, tend to spin alot of seventys/modern and in most cases this is out weighing the 60's, now dont get me wrong, i like to hear some seventys/modern at venues but when it out weights the 60's it apeals to me very little, even ends up boring me.

Sorry im not a true soul fan for likeing genraly only 60's whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hey Sean I think your take on things is rather selective. Those early Mecca tracks you listed were I agree pretty well universally accepted at the time but you conveniently omitted to mention the later Mecca disco phase when Ian and Colin were playing tracks like Salsoul Orchestra which were big in the NY clubs. It was that change in music policy which led to a split in the audience not those earlier tracks. I can well remember waiting till the last half hour for Colin to play 60's like Don Gardner.

I really object to the idea that the 60's newies crowd were negative and retrograde. That Stafford thing was a reaction to the 60's newies being squeezed between 60's oldies [the real beer towel crowd] and modern.

Are you really saying that Rob Marriot,Jim Wensiora, Guy, Keb,Tim Ashibende, Butch, myself and Dave W. were a bunch of know-nothings out of touch with the direction the scene was going and having no appreciation of soul music in general.

Should Dave and I have not bothered playing Monique, Phoenetics, Young Brothers, Limelights, Combinations, Del-Tours,Topics, the unreleased Motown etc cos people were happy dancing to Richard's album tracks. Was that a retrograde step and they weren't worth listening to cos they're crap 60's. Yeah we didn't play many from the 70's but then other DJs were doing that and I do remember playing Blue Steam cos it was a bit less polished and just fitted in with what we were trying to do.

Finally if I understand Chalky's comment he feels that the revival has led to modern soul not being accepted nowadays when both Baz and I have stated that we've attended venues where it's exactly the reverse and it's 60's,unless oldies, that's suffering.

So allow us a little corner to listen to what we like and keep that strand of the scene alive.To use the examples earlier in the thread I don't see that Drizabone and DJ Genesis are any kind of future.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Did people actually call it Modern Soul at the Mecca ? I first heard the term used in the early eighties . and then Modern rooms popped up 81, 82 I think ??

It was even a strange term back then... as , in London it was just Soul old or new release ...

Cheers

Simon Murray wink.gif

Interesting I went to the Blackpool Mecca and I thought of it at the time as 'new release' Soul rather than 'Modern'. However, Around '78 I complied the following tape which I titled 'Various Northern (Modern)'. So I must of being using the term 'Modern' to distinguish 70's from 60's. In true Balderdash & Piffle fashion - I claim to have invented the term 'Modern soul' !

Mike

ps though I say so myself not a bad tape !

Felix Cavaliere - Never Felt love Before

Smoke - I'm So Glad You Came Along

The Montclairs - I Need you More Than Ever

Tower of Power - This Love is Real

Lou Ragland - Since You Said You Would Mine

Voices - Cashing In

Nolan - Oh baby

Imaginations - Love Diet

Jimmy Lewis - Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady

Jackey Beavers - Trying TO Get Back To You

Loleatta Holloway - The World Don't Owe You Nothing

Carolyn Crawford - Just got To Be More Careful

Leroy hutson - Ella Weez, Could this Be Love

Charles Man - It's All Over

Linda Perry - It'ss All In the Back Of Me

Bits n Pieces - Keep On Runing Away

Originals - Good Loving Is Just A Dime

Norma Jenkins - Can you Imagine That

Diane Jenkins - Towaway Zone & I Need You

Loleatta Holloway - Mother Of Shame

Jessie Fisher - You're Not Loving A Beginner

Cortez Greer - Very strong On you

Chocolate Syrup - You've got A lot To Give

Lee Fields - Take Me Back

Skull Snaps - My Hang up

Tomorrows Promise - You're Everything Good To Me

The Montclairs - Hung Up On Your Love

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me

Social source share

Guest Dodger

As daft as it seems, 'modern soul' is probably a retro term . . . blush.gif

Hello Mike by the way, long time no speak matey. :lol:

Social source share

As I am that well-respected, charismatic, babe-magnet of a 60's collector to whom Stuart refers I am pretty certain I did not throw a wobbler on hearing Ronnie Walker at the Mecca. To my recollection the only time I was really miffed was when Levine played Gloria Gaynor "Never can say goodbye" early doors and Francis T. skipped across the floor to let Levine know that he had plumbed new depths!!

To further illustrate this monstrous calumny, John, are you aware that I actually discovered Curtis [Midwest Distributors, St. Louis] so I know a catchy Modern 45 when I hear it. Modesty only prevents me from mentioning that I also discovered True Image "Im not over you yet". Oh shit!!

My fave modern tracks which I own in my modern box not far from where Im sitting now are Ty Karim Romark and Elvin Spencer Twinight, and Velvelettes "Needle in a haystack"

My choice of "modernsoulsucks" is really a not very articulate frustrated cry as I feel that lately modern[anything from 70's oldies to current R&B] and earlyR&B are pushing 60's Northern to one side in this particular area. It's gotta stop!!

So thank you Stuart for putting me in it and I can only put this down to jealousy on your part as I am neither ginger nor Scottish.

ROD

Rod! Very articulate, now I can see the result of all those hours, sat doing the Times crossword on the stall wink.gif

Social source share

Does Modern Soul suck?..................you decide:

Details for my next guest show on Starpoint radio are as follows:

1st broadcast - Friday 19th May 11pm - 1am

Repeats - Tuesday 23rd May 8am - 10am

& Wendesday 24th May 12pm - 2pm.

www.starpointradio.com

Sky Digital Ch 0163

Hope some of you can join me for those choice new and recent releases!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Interesting I went to the Blackpool Mecca and I thought of it at the time as 'new release' Soul rather than 'Modern'. However, Around '78 I complied the following tape which I titled 'Various Northern (Modern)'. So I must of being using the term 'Modern' to distinguish 70's from 60's. In true Balderdash & Piffle fashion - I claim to have invented the term 'Modern soul' !

Mike

ps though I say so myself not a bad tape !

Felix Cavaliere - Never Felt love Before

Smoke - I'm So Glad You Came Along

The Montclairs - I Need you More Than Ever

Tower of Power - This Love is Real

Lou Ragland - Since You Said You Would Mine

Voices - Cashing In

Nolan - Oh baby

Imaginations - Love Diet

Jimmy Lewis - Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady

Jackey Beavers - Trying TO Get Back To You

Loleatta Holloway - The World Don't Owe You Nothing

Carolyn Crawford - Just got To Be More Careful

Leroy hutson - Ella Weez, Could this Be Love

Charles Man - It's All Over

Linda Perry - It'ss All In the Back Of Me

Bits n Pieces - Keep On Runing Away

Originals - Good Loving Is Just A Dime

Norma Jenkins - Can you Imagine That

Diane Jenkins - Towaway Zone & I Need You

Loleatta Holloway - Mother Of Shame

Jessie Fisher - You're Not Loving A Beginner

Cortez Greer - Very strong On you

Chocolate Syrup - You've got A lot To Give

Lee Fields - Take Me Back

Skull Snaps - My Hang up

Tomorrows Promise - You're Everything Good To Me

The Montclairs - Hung Up On Your Love

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me

Awesome selection ....... I'd say you did invent the Modern soul term .. ( I first heard the term metioned on the Northern scene 81 ) I suppose its like saying Trad jazz or modern jazz .

Social source share

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your comments.

Taking what you've written just one bite at a time!

Rather selective? True, it was not meant to be a comprehensive posting. Just my brief contribution to the question as to whether Modern Soul Sucks... or not.

Mecca Disco Phase? Terrible wasn't it. Some awful stuff masquerading as Soul!

Rob Marriot,Jim Wensiora, Guy, Keb,Tim Ashibende, Butch, yourself and Dave Withers - Know nothings? No, I don't think so. I've met most of these guys and found them to be very knowlegeable. Fair play to anyone who discovers and plays Good Soul music (regardless of era). Bring it on!... but yes, if we're talking about the early 80's, lots of people were very happy dancing to 'Bobby King' 'Gary Glenn' ' Melba Moore' ' Zingara' 'Tony Fox' 'Bobby Womack' etc. alongside 'Mr Soul' 'Jimmy Bo Horne' and 'Paul Thompson' etc.

DJ Genesis etc. no kind of future? Totally agree. Pretty much as bad as the Salsoul Orchestra in my book. Dance music... but certainly not Soul!

I just think people risk missing out on good tunes... if they're too... errr... selective!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

I emphathise totally with what you're saying, Rod, but with regards to modern in northern rooms, don't you think it's simply the natural order of things, on any scene, to generally incorporate newer music as time moves on? House music is obviously too big a jump for the majority, but isn't playing 70s 'modern' in northern soul rooms a kind of natural progression?

Another question that I often think about is what was the cut off point, when northern soul fans who in the 60s and 70s used to embrace new music and discoveries of the time, stopped liking new and current music and thought to themselves 'I'm sticking to the oldies because that's what I like'? When did that happen?

Roger

Hi Roger I thought that after my last glib posting and sebsequently reading some of the excellent posts on this thread I'd drop a few more serious comments which (hopefully) reflect my view on the situation

Firstly, taking on board your comment re 'natural order' or 'progression'. After spending more time that i've done for a long time in Northern Rooms recently, i'm begin to wonder whether playing more 'Modern' in Northern rooms IS actually a logical, natural progression, i'm not sure. The Northern Scene has always IMHO been (mainly) about 60's music. It has survived nearly 40 years now on that basis and from what I can see, it can (and should) continue to do so. There is a wealth of great underplayed 60's soul music still out there waiting to have its day, some of the threads on this forum that confirm this and I can personally testify that I am still enjoying listening to and buying wonderful 60's Soul. What's more, judging by the members on this forum and their commitment to 60's (Northern) Soul, i'm not the only one. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that the 'Natural Order', should not be the 'Order' of significantly different music but the order of more of the same, (especially if the idea of a good 'modern' record is the Drifters or DJ Genisis rather than Peabo Bryson or Jamie lewis)

Now dont get me wrong, i've been convinced that more Modern should be played in the Northern rooms and i've long held the belief that 'Soulful House' in so many ways is the 'real' natural progession of Northern Soul (and probably will be one day, under a different

name and to a different generation) but that should NOT be to the detrement of the Northern Soul scene as we know it. Better the Northern Soul rooms should stay as they are; places where good quality Sixties Soul is played to a crowd who want it, appriciate it and more importantly love it. Change it now and you'll possibly lose it, forever.

IMHO Northern Rooms should not become the new Modern Rooms nor become Soulful Garages ;-) or whatever, because they will loose the very people who were in there who keep the fire burning week in week out.

The majority of pepole who are still into Soul Music in a big way (buying tracks or attending gigs etc.) have probably decided by now what kind of soul is their 'Soul' and in answer to your second question, have made their minds up where they wanna be. Ask your self the same question, when did you mark your preferences? I call then 'preferences', purposely, it doesn't mean to say your forsaken everything else but you just know where your 'first love' of Soul Music lies. Everyone has done it, they dont stop liking new music completely they just love old soul music more and visa versa.

And finally, Does Modern Soul Suck? Does it F%K!! - Real modern soul (new releases) and retro 'modern' soul for me is what it's all about everything from Gary Wallace to Gino Washington but it shouldn't be forced on those that dont particularily want to hear it, let alone REALLY listen to it.

Edited by BazM
Social source share

DJ Genesis etc. no kind of future? Totally agree. Pretty much as bad as the Salsoul Orchestra in my book. Dance music... but certainly not Soul!

Now this has been baffeling my brain for some time, records such as mentioned above and say for arguments sake Nicola Wills (modern but throw back 60's sound) are instant hits every tom dick and harry jumping on the band wagon, playing them....

Now get this, a truly magical peice of unrealesed 60's soul music has recently been released a real dancer in the form of The Royal Five - Dont stop, its f**king awsome and kicks the absolute shite out of the two mentioned above, has it been getting a look in, no it hasn't,(i've not herd it out yet, unless its me playing it) WHY i ask myself is this how its going to be the only new sounds accepted these days are 'new' recording's thumbsup.gif

Well you can keep your Genesis and your Nicol Will and I'll carry on spinning quality 60's like the Royal Five :lol:

Social source share

Totally agree mate. Found an old B&S article the other day where Frank Elson tries to bring sense to the whole situation. I'll try and scan it in a few days - if this thread is still going then.......

Morning, I found the B&S article and thought it may be of interest so here it is. It's from B&S of May 1978. If you can't make it out you may have to download and zoom in a bit - sorry. Funny how some things never change isn't it?

Always liked Frank, spoke a lot of sense and was actually a "punter" too. Hope he is still out there somewhere?

John. sad.gif

post-4607-1147859073.jpg

Social source share

Now this has been baffeling my brain for some time, records such as mentioned above and say for arguments sake Nicola Wills (modern but throw back 60's sound) are instant hits every tom dick and harry jumping on the band wagon, playing them....

Now get this, a truly magical peice of unrealesed 60's soul music has recently been released a real dancer in the form of The Royal Five - Dont stop, its f**king awsome and kicks the absolute shite out of the two mentioned above, has it been getting a look in, no it hasn't,(i've not herd it out yet, unless its me playing it) WHY i ask myself is this how its going to be the only new sounds accepted these days are 'new' recording's :lol:

Well you can keep your Genesis and your Nicol Will and I'll carry on spinning quality 60's like the Royal Five yes.gif

===========

Hasn't been played out cos it's pop for the white man's charts :Dthumbsup.gif:D

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge

well said Sean & Chalky

SAVE OUR SCENE FROM LUDDITES & ERA BIGOTS

whistling.gifwhistling.gif:wicked: :Djust realised i`ve posted up regarding a page behind,T*AT!

Edited by sydney bridge
Social source share

Maybe if we concentrated on spinning cheeper lesser known 60's a bit more, it just seems that some nights although northern nights, tend to spin alot of seventys/modern and in most cases this is out weighing the 60's, now dont get me wrong, i like to hear some seventys/modern at venues but when it out weights the 60's it apeals to me very little, even ends up boring me.

Sorry im not a true soul fan for likeing genraly only 60's whistling.gif

I`ve been in this scene since 1973 (some say earlier whistling.gif ) and I`ve come to the conclusion that there`s some good and bad soul in each era! I`m generally a sixties man but I appreciate there`s life after that era... (7T`S 8T`S 9T`S 2K) (and there`s life before it!!) I also love a fair bit of R N` B from the late fifties- early sixties,and also some raw blues-John Lee Hooker from the FORTIES! ) I wasn`t always like this-as some people who know me will tell you, I wasn`t interested in ANYTHING recorded after 1975. But i`ve become open minded over the years..I only judge anything now only if I`ve experienced it for myself. And IMO ours is possibly the world`s greatest ever underground dance music scene because it`s sooo diverse...

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Hey Sean I think your take on things is rather selective. Those early Mecca tracks you listed were I agree pretty well universally accepted at the time but you conveniently omitted to mention the later Mecca disco phase when Ian and Colin were playing tracks like Salsoul Orchestra which were big in the NY clubs. It was that change in music policy which led to a split in the audience not those earlier tracks. I can well remember waiting till the last half hour for Colin to play 60's like Don Gardner.

I really object to the idea that the 60's newies crowd were negative and retrograde. That Stafford thing was a reaction to the 60's newies being squeezed between 60's oldies [the real beer towel crowd] and modern.

Are you really saying that Rob Marriot,Jim Wensiora, Guy, Keb,Tim Ashibende, Butch, myself and Dave W. were a bunch of know-nothings out of touch with the direction the scene was going and having no appreciation of soul music in general.

Should Dave and I have not bothered playing Monique, Phoenetics, Young Brothers, Limelights, Combinations, Del-Tours,Topics, the unreleased Motown etc cos people were happy dancing to Richard's album tracks. Was that a retrograde step and they weren't worth listening to cos they're crap 60's. Yeah we didn't play many from the 70's but then other DJs were doing that and I do remember playing Blue Steam cos it was a bit less polished and just fitted in with what we were trying to do.

Finally if I understand Chalky's comment he feels that the revival has led to modern soul not being accepted nowadays when both Baz and I have stated that we've attended venues where it's exactly the reverse and it's 60's,unless oldies, that's suffering.

So allow us a little corner to listen to what we like and keep that strand of the scene alive.To use the examples earlier in the thread I don't see that Drizabone and DJ Genesis are any kind of future.

ROD

So what do you think of these modern 60`s sound-a-likey`s? i.e. "artistes" like Nicole Willis, the (Fatboy Slim?) Frank Popp Ensemble?

Social source share

Now this has been baffeling my brain for some time, records such as mentioned above............(DJ Genesis)........etc.......are instant hits every tom dick and harry jumping on the band wagon, playing them....

Should probably cross-post this on the Soulful House thread too (you'll see why with the record I'm gonna mention later and the point I'm making), you are now touching on the subject of what does actually get picked up on and played by jocks who are predominantly NS/crossover. The DJ Genesis cut you refer to above does very little for me, and yet it's got picked up and gone massive. I would say there are far better records worthy of attention than that. Below is an extract from my column for Soul Up North magazine last Autumn.............now whilst I am actually talking about a GOOD record here, you'll hopefully see the point I'm making.......kind of ties in to the bit of you post above I think:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Vince Montana Jr feat. William 'Smoke' Howard That's What Love Does (Original and Benedetti mix) (US Philly Sound Works CD-R)

This track will be a monster on the UK modern soul scene, and deservedly so. From the legendary Vince Montana, this has all those old skool charms that ensure it huge success in the UK, with William 'Smoke' Howard of the Ebony's providing some rasping vocals. The original mix would have to be described as a piece of Philly heaven for fans of that sound. Louis Beneditti has been enlisted to beef it up for today's dance floors, whilst not detracting from that old skool feel of the original, which is an astute move. I just find it quite frustrating that the more conservative amongst us latch on to toons like this, with scant regard to the other half dozen latest soulful dance records worthy of attention. Still, if records like this steer them slowly in the right direction, I would have to concede that this is a positive thing. Available via www.traxsource.com, with a vinyl release imminent I believe. Massive!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope I'm making sense!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Should probably cross-post this on the Soulful House thread too (you'll see why with the record I'm gonna mention later and the point I'm making), you are now touching on the subject of what does actually get picked up on and played by jocks who are predominantly NS/crossover. The DJ Genesis cut you refer to above does very little for me, and yet it's got picked up and gone massive. I would say there are far better records worthy of attention than that. Below is an extract from my column for Soul Up North magazine last Autumn.............now whilst I am actually talking about a GOOD record here, you'll hopefully see the point I'm making.......kind of ties in to the bit of you post above I think:

Hope I'm making sense!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Makes pefect sense to me Mark whistling.gif There is hunders of better and more soulful, house tuens about than DJ Genisis.

I suppose it all boils down again to the person spinning it i.e Sam, he has a big following and people will dance no matter what he plays because its sam playing it so it must be good ect, ect.

Tell you what he's made a big record out of it, quite good for some one who claimed not to like soulful house whistling.gif

Social source share

Not progressing musically is a very common trate, not just limited to "oldies fans" though they are the target we find easiest to hit as they walk round with big circular targets on their backs.

Doing a straw poll round here I actually find that very few people are interested in hearing new music of any genre. An example close to home -my missus still enjoys the rubbish she enjoyed twenty five years ago - Led Zep, Status Quo etc....She has not bought a new record since the early 80's. She is no different to the vast majority of people either.

My young son btw just texted me to say that darrell Banks "Our love is in the pocket" and "Out on the floor" are great records. He's not wrong there either, but unless he takes after his dad he is likely to end up at 25 or something losing interest in hearing new music.

I am not defending the oldies brigade - god forbid whistling.gif - I've heard far too many play safe DJs playing boring sets to accomodate the masses; all I am doing is recognising that the majority of people aren't that bothered about hearing something new - so we should not be surprised at the end of the day.

Social source share

Makes pefect sense to me Mark :wicked: There is hunders of better and more soulful, house tuens about than DJ Genisis.

I suppose it all boils down again to the person spinning it i.e Sam, he has a big following and people will dance no matter what he plays because its sam playing it so it must be good ect, ect.

Tell you what he's made a big record out of it, quite good for some one who claimed not to like soulful house whistling.gif

===========

Wasn't Sam who I heard play it first, but I did like it as soon as I heard it. There are probably loads of better soulful house records, but then I'm not generally going to hear them in a northern room am I.

Pretty much think Sam has earnt his reputation over the years by the way whistling.gif

Social source share

ROD

Rod - a gentleman and a scholar* - makes a really important point here about the evolution of the Mecca. We are all guilty of making genarlisations about era, clubs and DJs. When Ian levine became more intersted in becoming a producer rather than a rare soul Dj he became a bit fixated with the contemporary NY Disco scene, and the origins of 'hi-energy' and gay disco. Anything mixed by Tom Moulton, Patrick Adams, Jellybean Benitez became potential Mecca plays. Some were good many not. Some are now much rarer and prized. But back then most were commercially available in any half-decent import-shop and not rare in the sense we now mean it. I am fairly convinced that wehn DJ's become producer their taste usually wanes - they like their releases and trade some of the passion of the fan. But that's a separate post.

* Insert other crawling adjectives

Social source share

I didn't say he did

Pretty much think Sam has earnt his reputation over the years by the way whistling.gif

Would absolutely NEVER dispute that............I'm not digging at Sam, just stating that he has made this record big, and that IMHO it's very mediocre.

Cheers,

Mark R

=============

Was replying to Baz Mark, think it was him who said Sam made the record. I honestly don't know if it's mediocre or not, because I'm not generally exposed to soulful house, I think it fits with the current northern scene that's all.

Baz is doing me a CD so I can upgrade my knowledge of said genre, then hopefully I'd be able to judge for myself whether it can be the northen scene's salvation. That's talking from a, it could die soon perspective and I don't want it to laugh.gif

Social source share

Wasn't Sam who I heard play it first, but I did like it as soon as I heard it. There are probably loads of better soulful house records, but then I'm not generally going to hear them in a northern room am I.

Lets hope your not any way :wicked:

Thats what im saying about Sam, he's got a big following so crowds genrely accept what he plays is brilliant, as far as soulful house goes, its quite a medeocer (spelt wrong) tune.

P.S Will bring the CD to bedford with me next friday laugh.gif

Social source share

ROD

I'm not sayiong it's been neglected, just very few venues that cater for decent post '69 music. Usually get the stuff you mention above for modern soul, Drizabone, DJ Genesis, Angie Stone etc. Most venues as you know had decent modern soul dj's like those I mentioned previously, Dave Thorley being another with a good ear for modern stuff. Nowadays there's few venues that cater for proper across the board soul music, and by across the board I don't mean the northern type records like Drizaboine and Angie Stone.

I also agree with you that since thew revival of the early 90's, 60's soul has suffered greatly with thew emphasis on classic oldies, even the quality stuff the returnees picked up on from plays in the 80's got hammered and are still being hammered neglecting many other great records. There's too many quality records that you no longer wish to hear :wicked: cause DJ's know they are going to fill the floor and are therefore sscared opf being too adventurous.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I'm not sayiong it's been neglected, just very few venues that cater for decent post '69

I'll bet my bottom dollar there is more venues catering for post 69 (ooh madame :wicked: ) than there is venues that are catering for 60's. :lol:

Social source share

I'll bet my bottom dollar there is more venues catering for post 69 (ooh madame :wicked: ) than there is venues that are catering for 60's. :lol:

Not Northen venues. You used to get at least one modern DJ on a nighter line up at one time.

There might be more venues and some venues with a seperate room, I'm talking about modern in with the northern.

Social source share

I just love soul dance music...thank god my Mum never got me some blinkers for Xmas back way then. :lol:

Well im just glad i have blinkers, because obviously i have the best taste in music in the world, and if you dont like what i like you must have no soul! :wicked:

Social source share

Not Northen venues. You used to get at least one modern DJ on a nighter line up at one time.

There might be more venues and some venues with a seperate room, I'm talking about modern in with the northern.

Ok Name one current all nighter (that isn't a R&B one) that plays only 60's

The 100 club is proberly the closest you can get :lol:

Bit of a crap argument on my sake :wicked: , because i dont think i can name one all nighter that only plays post 69, but you get my drift plenty of 'accross the borad' nights, some emphisising on post 69 more than others,

Social source share

I just love soul dance music...thank god my Mum never got me some blinkers for Xmas back way then. :lol:

I have no Soul then Baz.... :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Craig the Manc

Anyway, why catagorize it. When all said and done its soul music that got everybody into this scene.

I personally enjoy going to many of the new (ish) venue's where you can here quality music from all era's. Middleton's a prime example.

I'm still lost for words after 25 years of being into "Northern" that I can still hear tracks that are brand new to my ears.

And that's a bonus IMVHO.

ENJOY the music and stop putting labels on QUALITY SOUL MUSIC. :wicked:

Edited by Craig the Manc
Social source share

Ok Name one current all nighter (that isn't a R&B one) that plays only 60's

The 100 club is proberly the closest you can get :lol:

Bit of a crap argument on my sake :lol: , because i dont think i can name one all nighter that only plays post 69, but you get my drift plenty of 'accross the borad' nights, some emphisising on post 69 more than others,

don't think you get my drift tho' Baz. Most of the post '69 stuff at nighters is on the safe side and acceptable (by most) 60's soulies, I'm talking proper modern, can you name me a nighter that has a proper modern dj on for at least one hour like they used to? Most of the crossover is more northern than modern :wicked:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

don't think you get my drift tho' Baz. Most of the post '69 stuff at nighters is on the safe side and acceptable (by most) 60's soulies, I'm talking proper modern, can you name me a nighter that has a proper modern dj on for at least one hour like they used to? Most of the crossover is more northern than modern :lol:

Ah see what your saying now, gets confusing when talking about modern, most people talk of modern as 70's and up :lol:

In answer to your question yes i can Soul Sam is a 'Modern DJ' but doesnt play a 'new' modern set :wicked: does that count :D

Social source share

don't think you get my drift tho' Baz. Most of the post '69 stuff at nighters is on the safe side and acceptable (by most) 60's soulies, I'm talking proper modern, can you name me a nighter that has a proper modern dj on for at least one hour like they used to? Most of the crossover is more northern than modern :wicked:

I know what you're saying Chalky, but in fairness to the sixties boys, if you take as read that the 60's sides that got played since year dot are still played (which of course they are), then the difference in the sound of new release soul becomes more and more removed with the passing of time, so maybe the difference in style between 60's and contemporary soul is just too far apart, than say the difference in 60's to "Stafford" type modern?? Having said that, I'm sure Glenda mcCloud etc sounded just as unacceptable to some back then!! But you see my point............for instance, surely we all concede that a 60's fan is more likely to turn to crossover soul rather than new releases in 2006...........I generalise with that statement of course.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Who is responsible for playing that DJ Genesis crap please?
Oh shit!

Partly responsible for this as i played it at our 1st Modernism night nearly 2 years ago & also played it at Prestatyn in 2004 & killed the place stone dead :wicked:

Heard someone else play it the same weekend & they got a similar reaction (think it was Hobbsy but don't quote me on this).

Proceeded to give it away but then bought another copy as it was getting requested.

Also played it at Modernism when Sam guested for us & it went right over his head at the time (as did Vincent Montana).

If folks ask me to play it now i try to make my excuses & give them a cd of this to listen to.

It's Betty Wright doing the original version live.

Proper SOUL music....

01___Betty_Wright___Tonight_Is_The_Night_1.mp3

As the Dalek said to the dustbin - "We all make mistakes" but let's not forget DJ Genisis was recorded as a "Tribute to Betty Wright"

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

So Gavin and Chalky we appear to be more in agreement than first appeared. Maybe the real problem is some of the music playing in Northern rooms masquerading as modern soul. As Gavin said, dance music but not soul.

Im not going to say anything else about the importance of continuing to play underplayed and new 60's cos BazM has done it for me. I know his committment to all kinds of modern soul over the years and it's good to see him writing in the defence of us luddites and blinkered reactionaries.

To Soul Intention. Those tracks you mentioned have about as much effect on me as Levine's Exciters etc did back in the 70's. There's just something missing.

Finally this little tiff is all Stuart Cosgrove's doing but he has promised to make amends. Using his considerable clout at Channel 4 he has arranged for all of us to sleep with our choice of the female stars of "Desperate Housewives". Obviously not all at once cos that would be a bit freaky. So I reckon we all owe Stuart a big debt of gratitude and should get in touch right away to arrange running order etc

I've already baggsed Eva Longoria [Gabby].

ROD

Social source share

Some stuff that got spins in the 80's and earlier...a fair few Robin Salter spins.

Al Johnson - School Of The Groove - Columbia

Alexander O'Neal - What's Missing - Tabu

Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business - Mercury

Allan Harris - Get Ready - Exact Change

Anacostia - What Kind Of Love - Columbia

Arnold McCuller - Freeway To Monterey - AVI

Atlantic Starr - Circles - A&M

Atlantic Starr - One Love - A&M 2822

Beloyd - Get Into My Life - 20th Century

Bileo - You Can Win - Watts City

Bill - Space Lady - Dollar Bill

Bill Harris - Am I Hot Am I Cold - RCA 10520

BJB - I Gotta Make You Believe In Me - Tee Ti

Bobby Jonz - Win Your Love - Dispo

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do - WB

Bobby Thurston - Just Ask Me - Mainstream

Brothers By Choice - Girl I Need You Too - Ala

Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song - Bantu

Cecil Lyde - I'll Make It On My Own - Alwest

Charisma Band - Ain't Nothing Like Your Love - Buddah

Chaz - For Your Love - Zanzibar

Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live - Buffaloes Reflection

Chuck Simmons - Am I Groovin' You - Move

Chuck Strong - Doin It Cause It Feels Good - Invasion

Clarence Carter - Messin' With My Mind - Ichiban

Clarence Jackson - Wrap It Up - RR 929

Cliff Dawson - I Can Love You Better - Boardwalk

Cody Marshall - The Thought Of Loving You - Sound Judgement

Colette Kelly - CIty of Fools - Volt

Collection & The Civic - I'll Be There - Soul Train

Creations - Footsteps - Zodiac

Creators - I Can't Believe It's True - Coconut

Creators - Just You And Me - RCA

Curtis Hairston - Summertime - Pretty Pearl

Cynthia Sheeler - Yes We Do - Skyra

David Martin - You're Mighty Right - Jay Pee & Rekord

David Sea - Night After Night - Crown Limited 15655

Dells - Don't Want Nobody - Private I

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century

Donn Thomas - How Can I Help But Love You - Myrrh

Dysons Faces & Hard Times - Welcome To All This Love Again - DDR Lp

Earl White Jnr - Very Special Girl - Cygnet

Ed Summers - I Can Tell - Soya

Elegants - Show Me - Real Music

Emmanuel Laskey - I'd Rather Leave On My Feet - DT

Entertainers - I'm In Love With You - HMC

Essence Of Love - I Wanna Share My Love With You - K-City

Eugene Smiley - Yes It's You - K City

Exportations - I Want You - Vir-Ro 1001

Family Circle - I Hope You Really Love Me - Sky Disc

Family Of Eve - I Wanna Be Loved By You - Full Sail 751

Fantastic Shakers - Biggest Mistake - Fantastic Shakers

Fishburn & Francis - Give Me Some Love - AIP International

Flight - Playing Your Games - SGA

Florence Trapp - Love Came Into My Life - You & I

Frankie Gearing - Spinning Top - Beale Street

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana 1953

Freda Payne - Easy Street - MGM lp

Freddy Waters - Just Enough To Get Me Cool - Move

Gang's Back - You Got What It Takes - Handshake

Garfield Fleming - Don't Send Me Away - Becket 7

Garland Green - I've Quit Running The Streets - RCA

Geater - Breathtaking Girl - House Of Orange

George McCrae - Take It All Off - Soul City

Gerald Mallory - Lay It Down On Me - Prelude

Gerald Sims - You'll Never Be Sorry - Warner Brothers

Glenda Mcloud - No Stranger To Love - H.G.E.I.

Greater Experience - Don't Forget To Remember - Colony

High Frequency - Summertime (12 inch) - NIA

High Frequency - Summertime (7 Inch) - NIA

Hugh Boyton - We're Gonna Make It - Soul-Po-Tion

Ike Strong - Your Love Keeps Me Dancing - Maple

In Touch - Why Did You Stop Loving Me - Macdad

Ivan Neville - Dance Your Blues Away - Cookie 8032

James & Truitt With Black Smoke - What's Wrong With It - Juca

James Govan - Uphill Climb - Envelope

Jan Jones - Independent Woman - Day-Wood 101

Java Lewis - Get It On - Golden Stable

Jesse Henderson - I Did It Again - Land Of Hits

Jessie James - I Can Feel Your Love Vibes - Midtown

Jhamels - Road To Nowhere - Liberty

Jim White - I'll Play The Fool - Suns

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over - Dispo

Jimmy Lewis - Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady - Hot Lanta

Joe Simon - Love Look At Us Now - Possee

Johnny Scott - Let Me Be A Winner - Portra

Kashif - Rumors - MCA

Khemistry - Can You Feel My Love - Columbia

Kitty Haywood - Givin' It Up - Lance

Larry Brown - Breaking Training (part 1) - Fireworks 1000

Larry Wedgeworth & Clique - No More Games - Groovehall

Leroy Burgess - Heartbreaker - Salsoul

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston

Lew Kirton - Talk To Me - Believe In A Dream 4058

Lifestyle - Trying To Make It Up To You - MCA

Longo Bros - Coast To Coast - People City

Lonnie Hill - Cold Winter In The Ghetto - Urban Sound

Lou Ragland - What Should I Do - SMH

Loveman Ronnie Stokes - Touch You Again - Philly Town

Luckey Davis - It's Not Where You Start - Highland

Luther - Don't Wanna Be A Fool - Cotillion

Luther Davis Group - You Can Be A Star - Lifetime

Luther Ingram - Do You Think There's A Chance - KoKo lp

Luther Vandross - I Wanted Your Love - Epic

Marc Sadane - One Minute From Love - WB

Marlena Shaw - I Just Want This Feeling To Last - South Bay

Maurice Jackson - True Love IS You - Parrall

Miami - Party Freaks (Vocal) - Drive

Mind & Matter - I'm Under Your Spell - M&M

Mind & Matter - Sunshine Lady - M&M

Misty Graham - Soul Energy - CRS

Mixed Emotions - Gold Of My Life - Rock Way

Moody Scott - My Lovely Lady - Ahead

Nina Simone - Touching And Caring - VIP lp

Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit - Arista

Patches - I'm Gonna Make This World A Better Place - Phax 2002

Perfections - Can This Be Real - Calgar

Pete Warner - I Just Want To Spend My Life With You - Polydor

Pockets - Catch Me (12 Inch) - Arc

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In Her Own Way - Ichiban

Prince Phillip Mitchell - One On One - Atlantic

Pro - Fascination - I Want To Wrap You In My Arms - MOT

Pro-Fascination - Try Love Again - MOT 312

Prophecy - Rain In My Life - All Platinum

Richard Caiton - It's Hard To make It - Sho-Boat

Rose Royce - Best Love - MCA

Rufus & Roots - Caught Up - T Jay

Sammy Gaha - Thank You, Thank You - Right On 103

Satin - Your Love's Got Me - Shell

Scheer Music - Falling Back In Love - TBA

Serenade - When Love Is Gone - Out Front

Sho Nuff - Hold On For Love - Jamila

Sidney Blue - Count The Ways - Recording Concept

Sins Of Satan - Dance And Free Your Mind - Buddah

Sir Henry Ivy -You Left You Standing There - Future Dimension

Solid Gold Revue - She's So Good - Castanet

Sorokas - Gentle Touch - Sorokas

Starpoint - Wanting You - Chocolate City

Target - Give Me One More Chance - Kama

Terry Callier - I Don't Want To See Myself (Without You) - Erect

Terry Collins - Hold Hands With One Another - Silver Blue

Theresa Davis & Jerry Butler - I Can't Stop Lovin' You Either - DJ

Timeless Legend - I Was Born To Love You - Bright Light

Tolbert - Lucky Man - Rojac

Tony Aiken & Future 2000 - Good Things - Kimsha

Tony Troutman - What's The Use - Jerri 102

Towana & Natural Destruction - Wear Your Natural Baby - Romark

Troy Johnson - I Want You - Soul Beat

Twelve 76 - The Way You Make Me Feel - Critique 1079

Ultimates - Girl I've Been Trying To Tell You - Br-Roma

Walter & Sisters - How Long - Studio

Webster Lewis - Let Me Be The One - Epic

William Bell - Passion - Wilbe

William Bostic - What You Do To Me - SOR

Willie C - I Just Can't Get Enough Of You - Hot Ass

Willie Clayton - Love Pains - Kirstee 22

Willie Darrington - Never Should Have Walked Away - RAV

Willie Johnson - What Am I Gonna Do - Savannah

Wilson Pickett - The Best Part Of A Man - Wicked Records

Winfield Parker - I Wanna Be With You - P&L

WQBC - Love Me Anyway - Thunderbay

Young Devines - Deep In My Heart - New London & Cotillion

ZZ & Company - Gettin Ready For The Getdown - Columbus

Social source share

Some stuff that got spins in the 80's and earlier...a fair few Robin Salter spins.

===========

some nice tunes there chalky ...

alan harris - get ready -GREAT record

Al Johnson - School Of The Groove - Columbia

Alexander O'Neal - What's Missing - Tabu

Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business - Mercury

Allan Harris - Get Ready - Exact Change

Anacostia - What Kind Of Love - Columbia

Arnold McCuller - Freeway To Monterey - AVI

Atlantic Starr - Circles - A&M

Atlantic Starr - One Love - A&M 2822

Beloyd - Get Into My Life - 20th Century

Bileo - You Can Win - Watts City

Bill - Space Lady - Dollar Bill

Bill Harris - Am I Hot Am I Cold - RCA 10520

BJB - I Gotta Make You Believe In Me - Tee Ti

Bobby Jonz - Win Your Love - Dispo

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do - WB

Bobby Thurston - Just Ask Me - Mainstream

Brothers By Choice - Girl I Need You Too - Ala

Brothers Gilmore - I Feel A Song - Bantu

Cecil Lyde - I'll Make It On My Own - Alwest

Charisma Band - Ain't Nothing Like Your Love - Buddah

Chaz - For Your Love - Zanzibar

Chosen Few Band - What It Takes To Live - Buffaloes Reflection

Chuck Simmons - Am I Groovin' You - Move

Chuck Strong - Doin It Cause It Feels Good - Invasion

Clarence Carter - Messin' With My Mind - Ichiban

Clarence Jackson - Wrap It Up - RR 929

Cliff Dawson - I Can Love You Better - Boardwalk

Cody Marshall - The Thought Of Loving You - Sound Judgement

Colette Kelly - CIty of Fools - Volt

Collection & The Civic - I'll Be There - Soul Train

Creations - Footsteps - Zodiac

Creators - I Can't Believe It's True - Coconut

Creators - Just You And Me - RCA

Curtis Hairston - Summertime - Pretty Pearl

Cynthia Sheeler - Yes We Do - Skyra

David Martin - You're Mighty Right - Jay Pee & Rekord

David Sea - Night After Night - Crown Limited 15655

Dells - Don't Want Nobody - Private I

Dells - Your Song - 20th Century

Donn Thomas - How Can I Help But Love You - Myrrh

Dysons Faces & Hard Times - Welcome To All This Love Again - DDR Lp

Earl White Jnr - Very Special Girl - Cygnet

Ed Summers - I Can Tell - Soya

Elegants - Show Me - Real Music

Emmanuel Laskey - I'd Rather Leave On My Feet - DT

Entertainers - I'm In Love With You - HMC

Essence Of Love - I Wanna Share My Love With You - K-City

Eugene Smiley - Yes It's You - K City

Exportations - I Want You - Vir-Ro 1001

Family Circle - I Hope You Really Love Me - Sky Disc

Family Of Eve - I Wanna Be Loved By You - Full Sail 751

Fantastic Shakers - Biggest Mistake - Fantastic Shakers

Fishburn & Francis - Give Me Some Love - AIP International

Flight - Playing Your Games - SGA

Florence Trapp - Love Came Into My Life - You & I

Frankie Gearing - Spinning Top - Beale Street

Frankie Sanders - Take Another Look - Juana 1953

Freda Payne - Easy Street - MGM lp

Freddy Waters - Just Enough To Get Me Cool - Move

Gang's Back - You Got What It Takes - Handshake

Garfield Fleming - Don't Send Me Away - Becket 7

Garland Green - I've Quit Running The Streets - RCA

Geater - Breathtaking Girl - House Of Orange

George McCrae - Take It All Off - Soul City

Gerald Mallory - Lay It Down On Me - Prelude

Gerald Sims - You'll Never Be Sorry - Warner Brothers

Glenda Mcloud - No Stranger To Love - H.G.E.I.

Greater Experience - Don't Forget To Remember - Colony

High Frequency - Summertime (12 inch) - NIA

High Frequency - Summertime (7 Inch) - NIA

Hugh Boyton - We're Gonna Make It - Soul-Po-Tion

Ike Strong - Your Love Keeps Me Dancing - Maple

In Touch - Why Did You Stop Loving Me - Macdad

Ivan Neville - Dance Your Blues Away - Cookie 8032

James & Truitt With Black Smoke - What's Wrong With It - Juca

James Govan - Uphill Climb - Envelope

Jan Jones - Independent Woman - Day-Wood 101

Java Lewis - Get It On - Golden Stable

Jesse Henderson - I Did It Again - Land Of Hits

Jessie James - I Can Feel Your Love Vibes - Midtown

Jhamels - Road To Nowhere - Liberty

Jim White - I'll Play The Fool - Suns

Jimmy Burns - Can't Get Over - Dispo

Jimmy Lewis - Is That Any Way To Treat A Lady - Hot Lanta

Joe Simon - Love Look At Us Now - Possee

Johnny Scott - Let Me Be A Winner - Portra

Kashif - Rumors - MCA

Khemistry - Can You Feel My Love - Columbia

Kitty Haywood - Givin' It Up - Lance

Larry Brown - Breaking Training (part 1) - Fireworks 1000

Larry Wedgeworth & Clique - No More Games - Groovehall

Leroy Burgess - Heartbreaker - Salsoul

Lew Kirton - Heaven In The Afternoon - Alston

Lew Kirton - Talk To Me - Believe In A Dream 4058

Lifestyle - Trying To Make It Up To You - MCA

Longo Bros - Coast To Coast - People City

Lonnie Hill - Cold Winter In The Ghetto - Urban Sound

Lou Ragland - What Should I Do - SMH

Loveman Ronnie Stokes - Touch You Again - Philly Town

Luckey Davis - It's Not Where You Start - Highland

Luther - Don't Wanna Be A Fool - Cotillion

Luther Davis Group - You Can Be A Star - Lifetime

Luther Ingram - Do You Think There's A Chance - KoKo lp

Luther Vandross - I Wanted Your Love - Epic

Marc Sadane - One Minute From Love - WB

Marlena Shaw - I Just Want This Feeling To Last - South Bay

Maurice Jackson - True Love IS You - Parrall

Miami - Party Freaks (Vocal) - Drive

Mind & Matter - I'm Under Your Spell - M&M

Mind & Matter - Sunshine Lady - M&M

Misty Graham - Soul Energy - CRS

Mixed Emotions - Gold Of My Life - Rock Way

Moody Scott - My Lovely Lady - Ahead

Nina Simone - Touching And Caring - VIP lp

Norman Connors - Take It To The Limit - Arista

Patches - I'm Gonna Make This World A Better Place - Phax 2002

Perfections - Can This Be Real - Calgar

Pete Warner - I Just Want To Spend My Life With You - Polydor

Pockets - Catch Me (12 Inch) - Arc

Prince Phillip Mitchell - In Her Own Way - Ichiban

Prince Phillip Mitchell - One On One - Atlantic

Pro - Fascination - I Want To Wrap You In My Arms - MOT

Pro-Fascination - Try Love Again - MOT 312

Prophecy - Rain In My Life - All Platinum

Richard Caiton - It's Hard To make It - Sho-Boat

Rose Royce - Best Love - MCA

Rufus & Roots - Caught Up - T Jay

Sammy Gaha - Thank You, Thank You - Right On 103

Satin - Your Love's Got Me - Shell

Scheer Music - Falling Back In Love - TBA

Serenade - When Love Is Gone - Out Front

Sho Nuff - Hold On For Love - Jamila

Sidney Blue - Count The Ways - Recording Concept

Sins Of Satan - Dance And Free Your Mind - Buddah

Sir Henry Ivy -You Left You Standing There - Future Dimension

Solid Gold Revue - She's So Good - Castanet

Sorokas - Gentle Touch - Sorokas

Starpoint - Wanting You - Chocolate City

Target - Give Me One More Chance - Kama

Terry Callier - I Don't Want To See Myself (Without You) - Erect

Terry Collins - Hold Hands With One Another - Silver Blue

Theresa Davis & Jerry Butler - I Can't Stop Lovin' You Either - DJ

Timeless Legend - I Was Born To Love You - Bright Light

Tolbert - Lucky Man - Rojac

Tony Aiken & Future 2000 - Good Things - Kimsha

Tony Troutman - What's The Use - Jerri 102

Towana & Natural Destruction - Wear Your Natural Baby - Romark

Troy Johnson - I Want You - Soul Beat

Twelve 76 - The Way You Make Me Feel - Critique 1079

Ultimates - Girl I've Been Trying To Tell You - Br-Roma

Walter & Sisters - How Long - Studio

Webster Lewis - Let Me Be The One - Epic

William Bell - Passion - Wilbe

William Bostic - What You Do To Me - SOR

Willie C - I Just Can't Get Enough Of You - Hot Ass

Willie Clayton - Love Pains - Kirstee 22

Willie Darrington - Never Should Have Walked Away - RAV

Willie Johnson - What Am I Gonna Do - Savannah

Wilson Pickett - The Best Part Of A Man - Wicked Records

Winfield Parker - I Wanna Be With You - P&L

WQBC - Love Me Anyway - Thunderbay

Young Devines - Deep In My Heart - New London & Cotillion

ZZ & Company - Gettin Ready For The Getdown - Columbus

Social source share

Finally this little tiff is all Stuart Cosgrove's doing but he has promised to make amends. Using his considerable clout at Channel 4 he has arranged for all of us to sleep with our choice of the female stars of "Desperate Housewives". ROD

You can sleep with the one that was murdered at the start of Series 1.

Can I recommend The Embalmers 'Love Undergound' on (Stiff Records)

Social source share

Steve G , I think you need to get out more ...... :unsure: With the straw poll thingy

Simon the straw poll actually involved asking a few people at work whether they still listened to and bought new music. Essentially the answer was broadly no with the over 25s - that's it.

As for going out more - you can sleep easy that your record endurance feat of some 20 years without going out on the soul scene is in no danger of being overhauled by me! lol :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!