The Singers That Could Have Been Big But Just Missed

call the names of those with superior quality but due to bad luck or the wrong label or producer or manager failed to make the big time ,and missed out on fame and fortune.

not just the obscure labels without top quality in their DNA ,but those who merit special attention and could have been very big ...

you need to think about this so as to not clutter it with only one hit wonders on obscure labels .

they should be blue blood stars who missed the limelight ..

Social source share

Did Gene Chandler.....or.....Eddie Holman ever get the international acclaim that they should have?

Can't really put "Clean Gene" in this category - he has sold millions of records and had a career that most would sell their soul for - I don't think international recognition is a true measure of success - Our lovely Cliff Richard is not much liked Stateside after all. Mind you come to think of it he's not much liked over here either :D  :D

Social source share

Another absolute favourite singer of mine, again don't know how he sold domestically or how much acclaim he actually received in his day as an artist, M-S & Thelma's, EDDIE HILL, Baby I Cried, You Got The Best Of Me, Nothing Sweeter, what a great, great vocalist, never seem to get tired of his voice, always a good sign that.

AId.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest drewid

Garland green. , ollie nightingale, Freddie Hughes ,Keisa brown Barbara Lynn , Paul Kelly

Edited by drewid
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest phillybuster

Anthony White,one great album,a pretty average 45 on Salsoul and a couple of tracks on Paul Simpson's LP.Could have been big.

Social source share

Anthony White,one great album,a pretty average 45 on Salsoul and a couple of tracks on Paul Simpson's LP.Could have been big.

Favourite by him Gary, for me, "I,m so much in love with you" got it on 45, on the album aswell I think, yep, great voice

Kev

Social source share

Think we often overlook the fact that to be a "big star" in the music industry, it often takes a lot more than just having a great voice.

Forget who it was now but I remember reading an interview years ago with a well known female Detroit soul personality (could have been Bettye Lavette ?) and she was asked why J J Barnes, with his fabulous voice, was never as big as Marvin Gaye and she said "the cold, hard, facts were that J J simply never had the looks or moved like Marvin, end of story ".

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

It'll always be Margie Hendrix/Hendricks for me :( 

Remembered for having an affair with Ray Charles and being his backing singer but should be remembered for her amazing voice!

Social source share

Guest giant

i think she was 26 when she passed,,,, she was 21 when she had a million seller with hypnotized but after that big hit in 1967 she was criminally ignored

thanks for the correction Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!