John Harris And Soul Sayers - Hangin In

Guest Andy Kempster

tough tough tough tough record to find

heard there might be one on a market stall in Germany somewhere....MARC?

:wicked:

Social source share

No copy ever turned up in germany, allthough they where sold and recorded in Krautland. All known copies where found in the USA, very weird....

Maybe  a German based U.S.A servicemen who performed on the record ,took the few copies with him back home ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One turned up in UK. Recently exchanged hands I believe.

ROD

New copy or one that has changed hands ?

I:e has someone recently found another copy or has someone sold one to a well known dj ?

There's at least 3 copies in the hands of UK dj/ collectors .

Social source share

seriously tho. i remember marc`s  version of events now so its probable they were taken back to the usa. some may have been junked so its even possible that a copy or two may turn up in germany. its a big place....way bigger than the uk

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

As far as I know the seller had picked it up years ago and didn't realise it was anything so sold it for a good offer to Phil W.

I hope that's not supposed to be a secret !

ROD

know a English dealer/collector/dj recently found a copy in his collection. he told me he didnt knew it was so indemand.. dont know if he sold it (which would make it the same person you are talking about rod) or still has it (which in fact would be more likely I would have thought). I will ask him.

Social source share

Fab tune this. Production and voice is simply genius.   :hatsoff2:   Heard it on a mixcloud mix with Mr Santucci involved.  Out of curiosity what year was this made please?

1966, I played the also VERY nce flipside on solar radio last year. for an idea you can listen to it at here (it starts at 52.20 min if you dont want to listen to the complete show)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

1966, I played the also VERY nce flipside on solar radio last year. for an idea you can listen to it at here (it starts at 52.20 min if you dont want to listen to the complete show)

Many thanks Marc.    Nice flip it was too will def listen to the full show   thanks   :thumbsup:

Social source share

As far as I know the seller had picked it up years ago and didn't realise it was anything so sold it for a good offer to Phil W.

I hope that's not supposed to be a secret !

ROD

No secret Rod..... Phil W played it at the Dulcimer Bar Chorlton last night

Social source share

paul sold his on here £1800 i think....must have been 12 month later when marc got his( around the april fool scetch)

marc you say 1966...i`d say it was a couple or 3 years later...where does that info come from

no, mine came via stateside the same moment that Paul sold his to someone in Scandinavia who now lives in New York ;)

The information of the record having been done in 1966 came from the label owner with whom I did some sort of a small interview when I had tracked him down which again was about the same time when I got my record, winter 2010.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

no, mine came via stateside the same moment that Paul sold his to someone in Scandinavia who now lives in New York ;)

The information of the record having been done in 1966 came from the label owner with whom I did some sort of a small interview when I had tracked him down which again was about the same time when I got my record, winter 2011.

Don't know where you got that info from but as far as I am aware Pauls copy is still in UK .

I should know cos i am forever pestering the guy to trade it :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know where you got that info from but as far as I am aware Pauls copy is still in UK .

I should know cos i am forever pestering the guy to trade it :(

cheers jordi and nev, to answer the two of you in one post ;)...thats the info I had back then as I came second on said copy. actually while searching for some old pm`s I just realised it a few seconds ago it was already back in 2010 not 2011..how time flies..anyway, that said, there can have happened several things which led to the result that said copy stayed in britain..who knows.

Social source share

cheers jordi and nev, to answer the two of you in one post ;)...thats the info I had back then as I came second on said copy. actually while searching for some old pm`s I just realised it a few seconds ago it was already back in 2010 not 2011..how time flies..anyway, that said, there can have happened several things which led to the result that said copy stayed in britain..who knows.

seem to recall PS's copy sunning itself in a Aussie collection before coming to the UK.... 

Social source share

New copy or one that has changed hands ?

I:e has someone recently found another copy or has someone sold one to a well known dj ?

There's at least 3 copies in the hands of UK dj/ collectors .

Carl & Maria W.

Phil Wainwright

my own...

any others?

Social source share

but its true indeed, none of the roughly so far "known" one anda half handful of copies have turned up here in Germany. All via stateside. The reason as I already once stated when telling the whole background to this story after I had tracked down the label owner is that the record was a paid for job by John Harris who was a GI who played with his soul Sayers the southern German US Air Bases. All 250 copies were sold during those concerts (to GI`s) no Germans were allowed in back then. So it seems all remained copies were taken back home once the GIs went back to the USA. A bit of a similar situation and background as with Salt & Pepper really if you think about it..

Not really true, there was a kind of chitlin circuit for G.I.-bands in Europe back in the 60's and 70's that ranged from middle germany via Belgium to the North of France. Allthough these bands played in a rather close circle there has always been the possibility, that girlfriends or locals where allowed to these shows. Refering to the evident anti-americanism in germany now and then, (for example: girlfriends of G.I.'s has been slendered with words in germany, that are not quotable here), it's rather likely, that other copies turn up in France or Belgium, where the US-servicemen where much more welcome.

Social source share

Carl & Maria W.

Phil Wainwright

my own...

any others?

Marco Santucci (?)

That English collector/dealer/DJ I mentioned above

That one copy off ebay start of 2011 that went to a UK fella (seller didnt want to tell me who though LOL - may have ended up with C&M Willingham ?)

plus on the continent

me

plus

one in New York

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Not really true, there was a kind of chitlin circuit for G.I.-bands in Europe back in the 60's and 70's that ranged from middle germany via Belgium to the North of France. Allthough these bands played in a rather close circle there has always been the possibility, that girlfriends or locals where allowed to these shows. Refering to the evident anti-americanism in germany now and then, (for example: girlfriends of G.I.'s has been slendered with words in germany, that are not quotable here), it's rather likely, that other copies turn up in France or Belgium, where the US-servicemen where much more welcome.

Well, I can only speak for Berlin although it would make me wonder if the US Army would have had different rules for different regions. But however, here in Berin for example it was simply not possible to be allowed in if you had no US ID. My mum knew a fair lot of American people as my aunt was married with an US Army officer.

Still it simply wasnt possible to be allowed into either the US shops or the nightclubs for her...desite belonging to the same family. Also you must remember these were the heydays of the RAF so the US military police and such were specially alerted and not allowing anybody but people of US citizenship into their bases. This may have been a different story in France or belgium but John Harris & The Soul Sayers only toured Southern Germany.    

Social source share

Marco Santucci (?)

That English collector/dealer/DJ I mentioned above

That one copy off ebay start of 2011 that went to a UK fella (seller didnt want to tell me who though LOL - may have ended up with C&M Willingham ?)

plus on the continent

me

plus

one in New York

Hi Marc

Add Alex Jones to the list.....he's had it since early 9t's

Cheers

Phil W

Edited by grumpyfella
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source