New Yorkers On Tac-Ful

Go to solution Solved by Robbk,

I just saw the notes for this week's "Sitting in the Park" show (another great one Boba) with a guest DJ Elaine Wade.

One of the tunes played had this note attached:

"New Yorkers–You Should Have Told Me–Tac-Ful [named after Chrysler New Yorker!]"

I heard somewhere (maybe on soul source?) that this vocal group was made up of New York native football players who were playing in Los Angeles (where, I heard, this was recorded) - hence the name "New Yorkers" and the reason for the football players on the label.

I know this is absolutely not important at all - but just was curious if anyone could corroborate either story (football story or Chrysler story...) 
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• Solution

The football origin is the "correct" origin story.  The 3 footballers, Rosie Grier plus 2 other players who had been stars on The New York Giants for many years, and recently had been traded to The Los Angeles Rams, had ventured into the record business and managing a singing group, within a few years of moving to L.A., only after Grier had already started to, himself, become a successful singer.  So, the ex-footballers moving from New York directly to San Diego is inaccurate.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!