Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

It's a funny song. Very catchy and instant. One I used to like a lot when I first heard it over 25 years ago. Now I think of it as a cheesy tune that may have got played on a 70s tv show. Something like "Love Is In The Air" :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Simsy

The label it's on is called BOOT  :lol:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Indeed it is Kevlar. I only got it for the Sam Davis when I was little.

The OVO soul police are watching this thread with great interest.

:wicked:

Peter

I don't think anyone would play these grubby turds out. My mate got a 12" Alfred Davidson for cents whilst visiting Philadelphia some years back. Lucky bastard. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

theres a british release from about 10 yrs ago on thephilly groove label. ive seen plain white label copies that go for about a fiver. they should be easy to pick up.

Philly Groove release is slighty different mix to original I recall.

Social source share

It's a funny song. Very catchy and instant. One I used to like a lot when I first heard it over 25 years ago. Now I think of it as a cheesy tune that may have got played on a 70s tv show. Something like "Love Is In The Air" :D

Got to agree with you here Dave. ....And it still sounds like Cher to me!

- Kev

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

There's a lovely quality boot on Monumental (which came out in mid-'84), with "Fortune Teller" by Benny Spelman on the flip.  Haven't seen one for ages though.

Bought monumental pressing at Leicester Oddfellows but have an original these days fortunately! But because of the memories and history can't bring myself to sell the pressing even when I have an original!

WEIRD!!

I'll get me coat.

Social source share

So young Jordon,

Explain to me why I should send you the monumental pressing for free. Not that you asked at all I might add... but I'm feeling in generous mode to pass on the mantel!

Mark

I dont really know, and I am not going to pipe up some far fetched story either. All I can say, is it will be played, enjoyed , well looked after and out a smile in my face.

Jordan

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Would I be correct in saying the 12" version is pretty rare, or maybe a 'keeper' to those that have it? I think Soul Sam used to play the long version, which I've been after for years. If anyone has one for sale give me a shout, unless of course todays somewhat surprising prices scare me off (I'm a bit skint)

Here's hoping.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I'll swap it for an engineering company......I would have put 'thriving engineering company', but I couldn't possibly 'over egg' something for sale - It just wouldn't be 'cricket' would it?  :D

Social source share

I dont really know, and I am not going to pipe up some far fetched story either. All I can say, is it will be played, enjoyed , well looked after and out a smile in my face.

Jordan

Good enough for me Jordan!

A smile of appreciation is enough, as that's what I had when I bought it back in the day when I was 18( or maybe 20...long time ago!!)

send me address mate.

Mark J

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Found it...took me a while..bit of history for me...bought this at Leicester Oddfellows allnighter back in the day. Happy it's going to a good home. Will post it after Easter Jordan if that's OK.

I have no need for it apart from sentimental as have it on mercury these days!

all the best

Mark J

post-397-0-78584800-1364577523_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Talking about the issue there are two different issues one with small text and logo, one with larger text and logo, any one know why? East / West coast maybe!

Social source share

Indeed it is Kevlar. I only got it for the Sam Davis when I was little.

I don't think anyone would play these grubby turds out. My mate got a 12" Alfred Davidson for cents whilst visiting Philadelphia some years back. Lucky bastard. 

I had similar luck in East Village New York on my first trip in 2002. Great little shop called Wowsville that was on 2nd Avenue up at roughly 10th Street (not too sure now).

Almost the first record I came across, $1.

Social source share

Found it...took me a while..bit of history for me...bought this at Leicester Oddfellows allnighter back in the day. Happy it's going to a good home. Will post it after Easter Jordan if that's OK.

I have no need for it apart from sentimental as have it on mercury these days!

all the best

Mark J

attachicon.gifAD.jpg

Good lad Mark

Peter

Social source share

Would I be correct in saying the 12" version is pretty rare, or maybe a 'keeper' to those that have it? I think Soul Sam used to play the long version, which I've been after for years. If anyone has one for sale give me a shout, unless of course todays somewhat surprising prices scare me off (I'm a bit skint)

Here's hoping.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I'll swap it for an engineering company......I would have put 'thriving engineering company', but I couldn't possibly 'over egg' something for sale - It just wouldn't be 'cricket' would it?  :D

12" always got played @ Rotherham Len - remember it being stuck on the wall in the record area with £50 on it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who was Alfie Davison? Did he do anything else?

As previously stated he recorded a great version of "Who's Gonna Love Me" but he was also a DJ on a New York radio station. I have a tape from back in the day which someone pond-side kindly recorded for me but wouldn't have a clue where it is such is my filing system. I've a couple of boots somewhere which again, when I find them will be gladly forwarded to those that want one although this could take me a little time. My original is up in the loft... framed with a note underneath it saying "Murdered by the pressing machine" such was my disgust that it had been booted. To be honest it has cue burn on the intro hence me framing it. I always played the 12" when I was DJ'ing which, as far as I know is in a box in the garden shed. I really need to get my crap sorted :D  :lol:  :thumbup:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The original seems to go for stupid money, is there any quality 're-issues out there?

It's on a Goldmine CD, should pick one up for less than a fiver. The Philly Groove issue is in fact another take (not so good) the best is an late 80s re-issue/boot they pop on here from time to time.

Social source share

Who was Alfie Davison? Did he do anything else?

His real name is Alfie Davison  :D  got fished up in the late 90s by Ian Levine, the guy was really down on his luck, didn't have a twig to scratch his backside with.  :( 

post-4408-0-26636200-1365335680_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!