Sunshine On Phil-La Of Soul

Sammy

Sunshine - Leave Me (and see what happens) - Phil La of soul 359.

I heard this on a cd called the northern side of philly, liked the record and to my surprise when i put the needle in the grooves at home I heard a different mix than the cd. There are female chorus singers that are not featured on the cd? Anyone know the story? Is the cd version unreleased or are there differences between demos and issues (mine is a white demo)?

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest trickbag

“Sunshine” was born in Philadelphia as Herbert Eugene McCracken. As Herb Ward, he had his first single, "Hands Off She's Mine" in 1964 on the Buddy label, while his second record, "A Strange Change," was released on Argo in 1965, produced by the Harthon production team of Jimmy Bishop, Weldon A. McDougal III, Luther Randolph and Johnny Stiles. In 1967, Herb's second manager, WHAT-AM DJ Sonny Hopson, arranged a recording deal with Phil-L.A. of Soul Records at Broad and Girard in Philly.  Three songs were recorded, including the unreleased, "There's No Love Left." "Wrong Place At The Wrong Time"/"You Can Cry" came out in late '67 on Phil-L.A. of Soul 312. and, in early '68, Herb recorded "If You Got To Leave Me" and "Going Home,” which were released in 1972 on Phil-LA of Soul under the name Sunshine. After Herb stopped recording, he worked for the City of Philadelphia as a tractor trailer driver for 20 years and then retired to West Philadelphia.

Soulful Kinda Music

Sunshine (Herb Ward)

Phil-L. A. Of Soul 359 - Leave Me (And See What Happens) / Going Home To An Empty House — 1972 (Apparently these tracks are two recorded by Herb Ward in 1967, and released without his knowledge, under the name of Sunshine)

359 Sunshine「Goin' Home To An Empty House / Leave Meã€

DSCN9486.JPG

sunshine maybe the name of a label?

hope some of this info helps.

ricky

Social source share

Thanks Ricky! Some of this is new to me. When the track was recorded for example... Well, my guess is that the people who put the cd together had access to the mastertapes and thought the song sounded better without the backing singers and subsequently removed them. The cd track is also in stereo opposite to the mono mix of the 45. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!