Go Go Seventies Fast Soul

I heard that the type of music known as Go Go was briefly popular on the northern scene..

East Coast Connection-Summer In The Parks

sugar Billy- Sugar Pie

Anybody point me in the direction of any more.It seems typified by a fast guitar sound with the odd whistle and street rap.

Social source share

Go Go was slow rather than fast. "Summer In the Parks" is a great record but is hardly typical Go Go.

It was really a live form of music rather than a studio-based one. Few studio recordings captured the essence of the thing, which was extended jams with snippets of all sorts of songs, riffs and melodies over the top.

Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers were a sight to behold live. Definitely one of the best live acts I ever saw. The musicianship was awe-inspiring and the way they could wind it up over a period of hours without ever being boring was breathtaking.

Edited by garethx
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm sure I read that the original go go sound was the Sugar Pie and East Coast Connection sound...I know about the eighties Go Go sound and Snowboys comp..I'm talking about the seventies.It's like a mixture of funk and brazillian batucada.The nearest we got was Gonzales.

Social source share

I could see why it was played...very fast and in the same tempo as So is The Sun...a million miles away from the stop start jerky James Brown style funk.I'm into Brazillian Batucadas and Latin stuff and can see the connections.The 80s BGP released some comps called Focus On Fusion..this was more the jazzier end..I want to know about the funkier end of it

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Funnily enough Trouble Funk played only last week in London.

Chuck Browns 'busting loose' was anthemic on the London warehouse party scene mid 80s, go go was huge, then house exploded and it seemed to disappear !

Drop da bomb !!!

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Was'nt "Summer in the parks" a mecca spin, Funky northern soul...gentlemen & their lady's-"like her" and the like.

stevie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!