Northern Soul And 60/70S High Street Clubs/discos

Mike

just me or anyone else notice nowadays how 1960/70s high street clubs/discos are now starting to creep in under the term northern soul ?

northern to me was never about these sort of clubs, sure ok for a sat nite get pissed/fight /pull sort of thing but nought to do with northern... imo

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

just me or anyone else notice nowadays how 1960/70s high street clubs/discos are now starting to creep in under the term northern soul ?

northern to me was never about these sort of clubs, sure ok for a sat nite get pissed/fight /pull sort of thing but nought to do with northern... imo

Well if you mean, punters attending normal high street clubs / ballrooms in the 1960's think that they were NS type venues then I'd have to say that back then (1964 - 69) they were.

There was no such thing as a NS club back in the 60'; first there were blues clubs that became mod clubs and then morphed into soul clubs.

The sort of sounds that were big at say the Wheel, Mojo, Nit Owl in 1967 (& later) were being played by your Locano / Top Rank / Mecca DJ's by about a week or so later.

There was no real 'import scene' until around 1968/69 and then it was mostly chasing copies of UK releases that you couldn't find as a Brit release anymore, so you chased US copies of those releases. The 'rare soul' scene hadn't even reared its head then.

So 95% of the niter plays were UK released tracks and so available to the DJ's in all the high street club / ballroom type venues.

I know our crowd up in Sth Yorks attended niters each Saturday (& Mojo alldayers on Sundays in 67) BUT in the week & on (other) Sundays we attended normal high street venues (there was nowt else).

The younguns that followed on from our lot were hearing niter tunes when they attended youth clubs. That is why anyone who didn't attend niters till the 70's refers to the big 60's club plays as 'youth club tunes' (which is quite demeaning to those top plays IMO). 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well if you mean, punters attending normal high street clubs / ballrooms in the 1960's think that they were NS type venues then I'd have to say that back then (1964 - 69) they were.

There was no such thing as a NS club back in the 60'; first there were blues clubs that became mod clubs and then morphed into soul clubs.

The sort of sounds that were big at say the Wheel, Mojo, Nit Owl in 1967 (& later) were being played by your Locano / Top Rank / Mecca DJ's by about a week or so later.

There was no real 'import scene' until around 1968/69 and then it was mostly chasing copies of UK releases that you couldn't find as a Brit release anymore, so you chased US copies of those releases. The 'rare soul' scene hadn't even reared its head then.

So 95% of the niter plays were UK released tracks and so available to the DJ's in all the high street club / ballroom type venues.

I know our crowd up in Sth Yorks attended niters each Saturday (& Mojo alldayers on Sundays in 67) BUT in the week & on (other) Sundays we attended normal high street venues (there was nowt else).

The younguns that followed on from our lot were hearing niter tunes when they attended youth clubs. That is why anyone who didn't attend niters till the 70's refers to the big 60's club plays as 'youth club tunes' (which is quite demeaning to those top plays IMO). 

but at the time wasn't  it was more like what later followed in the 70, 80s ,90s onwards till the current day

disco, house, dance etc etc

clubs playing the latest current dance tracks to uk joe public out for a good time saturday nite

the evolvement of 'northern' was more than this, wasn't it ?

Edited by mike
Social source share

Expanding this theme ....... to what was played at late 60's (or very early 70's)  niter venues ..........

What were the early 'import only' tunes to get regular plays on the scene back then .....

... two that became big that instantly spring to mind to me were ........

Fuller Brothers -- Times A Wasting

Soul Brothers Six --  You'd Better Check Yourself

What were some of the others ??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!