Pre-Releases At Wigan - Tailor Made Exposure ?

Mike

just reading another thread and strikes me that there must have been a fair few of tailor mades played as pre-releases at wigan

guess the obvious ones are all the ian levine ones and tommy hunts etc etc

an attempt to list all that were played ?

may lead to some interesting info coming out out

such as were any of the "bad" ones ever played

only criteria being played as a pre-release ...

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

There must have been business going on with Russ or Mike Walker and Barry Kingston of Spark records..Tommy Hunt live at Wigan lp..we will play Tommys Losing side prior to general release ie plugging it ensuring healthy sales.I'm not sure Levines tailor mades would have been allowed at Wigan.Russ also had links with Simon S ensuring his instrumentals got plugged prior to sales.The other obvious one is the deal he had with Pye which may explain some of the more poppier stuff.Russ did tell me that the Prt Wigan lp was a bootleg and not licensed.

Social source share

There must have been business going on with Russ or Mike Walker and Barry Kingston of Spark records..Tommy Hunt live at Wigan lp..we will play Tommys Losing side prior to general release ie plugging it ensuring healthy sales.I'm not sure Levines tailor mades would have been allowed at Wigan.Russ also had links with Simon S ensuring his instrumentals got plugged prior to sales.The other obvious one is the deal he had with Pye which may explain some of the more poppier stuff.Russ did tell me that the Prt Wigan lp was a bootleg and not licensed.

aint spark connection well documented already

bit lost why you think ian levines tailor mades wouldn't get played as they did and again well documented

where you getting your wigan info from?

no offence meant but sometimes in some of your posts it does all seem a bit ropey 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've got a tape with John Vincent playing Doomsday and LJ Johnson - Magic Put A Spell.  In fact I think it's still up on my mixcloud page, 23/9/75 2nd anniversary

Social source share

There must have been business going on with Russ or Mike Walker and Barry Kingston of Spark records.

there was, he was at the tommy hunt all nighter i sat with him in mikes office for hours a really nice guy but totaly delusional about spark releases he asked me my  honest opinion on the spark catalogue i answered in my honest opinion he seemed shocked and even upset, i felt bad after but he asked me..

Social source share

yes all that levine stuff was massive at wigan, reaching for the best , the exciters , l j reynolds ,your magic put a spell on me  evelyn thomas , weakspot, etc the back room was flooded with tomorrow demos  about three quid each at the time

Social source share

but by the time these records came out on tomorrow most had had a life at the mecca so it was no fantastic thing when wigan got them, heres ians acetates, heres the 10" one off herb rooney did for ian and james wells, there were unreleased and different versions of things on acetate too anyone got any? ill try to find some things later and heres a teaser who knew blackpool mecca had its own orchestra?!!

post-410-0-87220900-1364127569_thumb.jpg

post-410-0-96996200-1364127599_thumb.jpg

Social source share

but by the time these records came out on tomorrow most had had a life at the mecca so it was no fantastic thing when wigan got them, heres ians acetates, heres the 10" one off herb rooney did for ian and james wells, there were unreleased and different versions of things on acetate too anyone got any? ill try to find some things later and heres a teaser who knew blackpool mecca had its own orchestra?!!

Not now but I had an acetate of Doris Jones - He's So Irreplaceable which was ten times better than the version that got released, mentioned it to Ian and he agreed that the released version wasn't the best.

Social source share

Not now but I had an acetate of Doris Jones - He's So Irreplaceable which was ten times better than the version that got released, mentioned it to Ian and he agreed that the released version wasn't the best.

thats the one i mean really i actually think there are a few versions, theres a male version of your face keeps haunting me too

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!