Larry Clinton

Jaco

Know that this has been referred to many times in the rarest of the rare/fewest known copies type threads but.....

If there are just a handful of "known" copies do we know who has them?

Just curious, like.

Social source share

You are referring to she's wanted ....a few Demo's around and last year an ISSUE was sold....

I did have many years ago the covered up version....Eddie Seaburg Wanted In 3 States....(larry Clinton demo....)only a few around then...35 years ago..

Once again should have kept....

snooky

Social source share

So Chalky, do we know of anybody that has one or the demo?

As said Kev has an issue, one was sold on ebay last year or two.Dunno about the other.

Harry, why there was three I don't know, I'll ask Kev when I speak to him if Eddie elaborated.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably one of the few occasions when I've actually gasped out aloud when looking at a record label.

Courtesy of Popsike one seriously naughty scan.

post-1224-0-62848800-1364069827_thumb.jp

RARE Northern Soul LARRY CLINTON She's Wanted

End price:  USD  6767

End date:  2010-05-21

Start price:  USD  10

Start date:  2010-05-14

Number of  bids:  14

Auctioned at:  ebay

derek x

Social source share

was wondering that aswell.

if the demos didnt do the job to promote the record,why just get 3 issues done.if wanted a few more copies,wouldnt it of been cheaper to get few more demos pressed up.

unless he got issues from pressing plant,to show what they would look like if he wanted to release it.like a sample?.

Any particular reason why they would have done only 3 issues? family members etc??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Rudzy has a demo for sale on soul source now came from Rich's collection some time back fourty quid i think Rich told me at last Rugby think Rudzi has it for sale for four grand Simon.

Social source share

Don't know much about who has got what of this record - although I ain't got one!

But, this is one hell of a soul record - loved it back in the day and it still sounds fecking awesome when I bang it out at home today. I had this down as a Sir Dickie play - is that not correct?

Peter

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Don't know much about who has got what of this record - although I ain't got one!

But, this is one hell of a soul record - loved it back in the day and it still sounds fecking awesome when I bang it out at home today. I had this down as a Sir Dickie play - is that not correct?

Peter

Good evening nice how thing's with you Buddie hope you've got two pairs of socks on man keep jack frost out best regards Prof.
Social source share

Peter

Searling used to play it definitely, think it was a Sam play first???

I'm afraid it does nothing for me, never has done.

Pete

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good evening nice how thing's with you Buddie hope you've got two pairs of socks on man keep jack frost out best regards Prof.

Good Evening Prof

Yes, good here Sir. I have a bottle of three year old Cuban rum open - it is radiating sunshine and warmth!

I hope all is well with you and Paula and raise my glass as a toast to all of you.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Searling used to play it definitely, think it was a Sam play first???

I'm afraid it does nothing for me, never has done.

Pete

Hi Pete

Mm, Sam did play it didn't he. It's funny how we all like or dislike stuff. I've always thought that this is a super dance track.

Peter

Social source share

Hi Pete

Mm, Sam did play it didn't he. It's funny how we all like or dislike stuff. I've always thought that this is a super dance track.

Peter

On

It is funny how how we like or dislike stuff, I put Eddie Parker 'I'm Gone' in the same vein as Larry Clinton, just a wall of noise to my ears !! I know they're both revered, but both leave me cold. I've only just heard the John Harris and the Soul Sayers for the first time today, how good is that? It's a long time since a 60's track has grabbed my attention, like that has.

Pete

Social source share

Peter

I understood RS had a red issue?

Social source share

It is funny how how we like or dislike stuff, I put Eddie Parker 'I'm Gone' in the same vein as Larry Clinton, just a wall of noise to my ears !! I know they're both revered, but both leave me cold. I've only just heard the John Harris and the Soul Sayers for the first time today, how good is that? It's a long time since a 60's track has grabbed my attention, like that has.

Pete

This one Pete?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yep. How good is that? :yes:

I like the mid tempo vibe to the record buddy - it is good. I think there may have been a thread on here a bit back about the record. There was certainly a discussion taking place about records being recorded by GI's who were posted in Germany - and I think there may some similar background to this - could be wrong.

Peter

Social source share

carl fortnum had a red issue  it went to steve chadwick via gary fields at the griffin hotel mid nineties £1000 i think....there must be 50 odd demo`s in the uk ive had half a dozen chances to buy it but the pockets arnt deep enough....and ther`ll be a batch of red issues somewhere they wont just have pressed up 3

• Helpful 2
Social source share

carl fortnum had a red issue  it went to steve chadwick via gary fields at the griffin hotel mid nineties £1000 i think....there must be 50 odd demo`s in the uk ive had half a dozen chances to buy it but the pockets arnt deep enough....and ther`ll be a batch of red issues somewhere they wont just have pressed up 3

I've e-mailed Eddie to see if he can remember why there was only three.  I'm only retelling what Eddie said to Kev when Kev showed him his red issue.  It is quite possible they simply did a sample press if preparation? I've no reason to doubt Eddie either he seems to have a pretty good memory from his early days.  I would have thought if a full run of issues had been done the odd one or two more would have turned up as it was obviously very sought after and everyone here and in the US knows its rarity and value.

Social source share

Rudzy has a demo for sale on soul source now came from Rich's collection some time back fourty quid i think Rich told me at last Rugby think Rudzi has it for sale for four grand Simon.

Mine came from a guy in Texas via Carl Fortnum still in Jamie Guyden company sleeve for 20 dollars. Same guy i got the Judy Hughes off, Sold it to Steve Kennedy in 90/91 for 600 quid. Steve sold it on to Rudzi..

One of the best records ever imo

Rich

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've e-mailed Eddie to see if he can remember why there was only three.  I'm only retelling what Eddie said to Kev when Kev showed him his red issue.  It is quite possible they simply did a sample press if preparation? I've no reason to doubt Eddie either he seems to have a pretty good memory from his early days.  I would have thought if a full run of issues had been done the odd one or two more would have turned up as it was obviously very sought after and everyone here and in the US knows its rarity and value.

john manships goin to auction one shortly. there was one on ebay a while back...couple o copies been in the uk for years..theres probably more than 3 in the uk now......its just a red stock copy dont make sense to press 3 up

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Mine came from a guy in Texas via Carl Fortnum still in Jamie Guyden company sleeve for 20 dollars. Same guy i got the Judy Hughes off, Sold it to Steve Kennedy in 90/91 for 600 quid. Steve sold it on to Rudzi..

One of the best records ever imo

Rich

Hi Rich hope your both well son Your Judy Hughes is still safe and sound in my collection sir infact played it at Prestatyn still has your name scratched in the run out groove.Now i remeber you telling me about the Rudzi deal (I've still got slight brain damage you know mate) anyway see you at Rugby give your good lady a big sloppy kiss from me sir best regards Nana Mouskuri.xxxxxxx
Social source share

john manships goin to auction one shortly. there was one on ebay a while back...couple o copies been in the uk for years..theres probably more than 3 in the uk now......its just a red stock copy dont make sense to press 3 up

I agree it doesn't make sense, like I said I'm just retelling what Eddie says and if he replies and gives a reason I will pass it on.

Social source share

Pete

Great great record - was John Harris & The Soul Sayers ever reissued? 

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Is this our larry Clinton ha ha I can't imagine him singing ' she stands 5 feet tall and 1 quarter weighs 122 and half she's got good things in good order there's not a good thing she don't have lol lol

Sir he look's like a proper chap.
Social source share

Can anyone pin down the date for the first allnighter spins of Larry Clinton: which DJ and where?

I think it was about 78, maybe a little earlier when I 1st heard it, not sure where now.

It is a record that I never got when collecting, but did I want one.

Seen the W/D in a good few people's boxes over the years.

The only R/I that I have seen, was the one my old mate Pete Mason (not the Preston one, the Rawenstall one) had, late 90s or early 00s.

Social source share

I think it was about 78, maybe a little earlier when I 1st heard it, not sure where now.

It is a record that I never got when collecting, but did I want one.

Seen the W/D in a good few people's boxes over the years.

The only R/I that I have seen, was the one my old mate Pete Mason (not the Preston one, the Rawenstall one) had, late 90s or early 00s.

Was Larry before the unissued Eddie Holman?  If so Searling was playing Eddie in 1977 according to his 40 at 40 article, discovered by Anderson. 

Pete Mason's is now with Kev.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The discovery of Larry Clinton is in Neil Rushton's Soul Stories book.  Discovered by John Manship in Orlando Florida on the return from his second buying trip in 1976.  Sold to Sam who soon sold it to Richard.  John removed the J/G distribution logo from the label because as Jamie Guyden was re-issuing all the Arctic stuff at the time sam wouldn't have bought it if he thought it was a Jamie Guyden reissue.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave is right Larry Clinton was played around 1978 and yes was definitely before the unissued Eddie Holman tracks assume you refer to 'were im not wanted' and 'Hurt"? As far as I know all the copies of LC in the late 70s and early 80s were white dj copies, the first time I was aware of the red issue was mid 90s when it appeared on a list for £1500, along with Gwen Owens, Mel Britt DJ etc. someone in the north west was selling them can't remember who. Ted is also correct Ian Clark had mint white demos in the early 80s I got mine from him too, Soul bowl also listed it once or twice around that time.

As for Eddie Holman when Chris King first brought him to the UK in the mid 80s to perform at Stafford he didn't initially have a clue what the Larry Clinton 45 was and pretty much didn't want anything to do with it, certainly didn't want to learn it and sing it. I was asked or invited by Chris to attend the first rehearsal by Eddie, who was totally bemused by when shown the Larry Clinton 45 with his credit on it and had to be cajoled by Chris into having a go at it only though after he had run through 'hey there lonely girl' ... again. Eddie also had absolutely no memory of 'hurt' or 'where I'm not wanted', amazingly by the end of the week at Stafford he and Snake Davis had near perfected all three from a cassette tape I loaned Chris.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The discovery of Larry Clinton is in Neil Rushton's Soul Stories book.  Discovered by John Manship in Orlando Florida on the return from his second buying trip in 1976.  Sold to Sam who soon sold it to Richard.  John removed the J/G distribution logo from the label because as Jamie Guyden was re-issuing all the Arctic stuff at the time sam wouldn't have bought it if he thought it was a Jamie Guyden reissue.

great story, didn't know that ... always assumed Richard had found it on his infamous trip to Philadelphia or got it from JA.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John told me he`d been taken to meet an old vinyl hound, who was like an old hippy, his house was like a bomb site records everywhere, and a very pungent smell of Jamacan herbs in the air. Whilst this guy was trying to get them to look at other stuff, John noticed it stood on the mantle piece, looked at the credits and decided to give it a spin.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Had an orig acetate of P Brady mid 90ts, Rudzi is selling one at the moment I think Johnny fingers has one and know Des Crombie,s got one so defo a few around :)

Johnny Had one !!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!