King George & The Fabulous Souls

tosspot

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 

Ion had this way back. Maybe mid, late 80s. I remember going to his flat in London to buy records and he played it to me. Blew me away but I don't think it was for sale anyway.

That would have been before 1990. I'm sure Ion can confirm but that's possibly the copy which ended up with Cliff Steele.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Ion had this way back. Maybe mid, late 80s. I remember going to his flat in London to buy records and he played it to me. Blew me away but I don't think it was for sale anyway.

That would have been before 1990. I'm sure Ion can confirm but that's possibly the copy which ended up with Cliff Steele.

I have it on a tape nof Cliff's which I'm sure is late 80's???  I'd have to check to be sure.  Cliff might put the story straight if he reads this.

Social source share

Yes, Cliff is who I remember playing it, sometime in the 90's - Two of us dancing! lol. That happened twice with it 'around these parts', once at The Pemberton Centre (when Tony Parker ran it) and once at The Embankment Club - I remember Brian Goucher coming up to me with his arms in the air, saying "Len, what the f*ck is up with everyone? This is one of the best, and rarest records that ever was!".....then we both carried on 'bopping' to it :D

I expect Ion played it for a short while, then moved on to 'samat else' :D

Great tune.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Has this been reissued then aswell ? it leaves me scratching my head -no wonder some folk can't be arsed anymore...certainly a odd one as a original,as tricky to find as any of the so called rarest of the rare !

Hi Andy Don't know about reissued but found a dozen around two years ago in Belgium on the orange everlast label which is normal re"doing" deep soul and stuff for the Dutch/Belgium type of sound.Had them in my £5.00 cheepie box's but very slowly sold.In fact didn't sell any for over nine month's at a fiver.I've not seen it either in France, the Netherlands or belgium since and the last two trips i did i was really digging deep don't think they were intended for the U.K and to be honest I asked around a bit and seems they were done quite a few years ago, the other side is a very unremarkable Kip Anderson track that's quite Frankly as boring as watching a corpse decompose.I'm off on a buying trip in a couple of weeks and covering Holland, Belgium and France but doubt if I'll find one and in truth not really looking so I don't think you'll expect the flood gates to gush forth 500 copies regards Simon.
Social source share

YES PLEASE.

£2,000 - CASH WAITING, SERIOUSLY

John

I was thinking the same.  It is hard to put a price on a record where only half dozen or so are known to be owned by collectors over here, especially one that is so wanted by so many other collectors.  But the price this has commanded and indeed sold for, dealer to buyer, is I would have thought the bench mark, not half that figure?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest ruppy

Thought Mick got his from Phil? Sam got his from Andy D.

no got my copy of john phillips,also pick up a spare from phil,all the copys i have seen are issues,his other baby i,ve got it i have a white demo the only one i have seen

so could there be a demo of i need you out there ,you never know

Mick H

Thought Mick got his from Phil? Sam got his from Andy D.

Social source share

Hi,

To set the record straight I got the first copy off Barrie Waddington/Brad around 84 and played it for 4/5 years covered up as George Hobson. Cliffe Steele had always loved the record and I let him have it for a modest amount (thats what you did with pals back then)

when I sold up my then DJ play box around 90ish. I am pleased it is now given the credit it deserves, at the time most people seemed more interested in The Enchantments and the like. If memory serves me I also had the first Sandy Golden in the same deal - Barrie and Brad were amazing at turning stuff up and very few people seemed to be interested in unknowns...

All best

Ion

Unfortunately..for most of the paying public..Nothings changed!

Social source share

Ion

Round Cliffs when he had the King George you also had that I remember playing Sandy Golden,Helen Moore,Stunners,The test pressing of Chubby Checker? And that beat ballad on Dynamo.I was skint!!!!! Trev

Hi Trev,

Good to hear from you.

You have a better memory of the night and my tunes than I do, but they were all things I had at that time except the Helen Moore which I remember Cliffe having and me doing some serious coveting!

All best

Ion

Social source share