Not Rare (Yet?)..great Recent Releases / Recent Discoveries To Ponder

I appreciate there's lots of threads which cover some of what I'm thinking here, but just wondering about some of the great recent(ish) new recordings + recently released 60's / 70's discoveries which might be top wants of of the future.

I often read on here (with a dash of envy :D ) about records people picked up back in the 60's / 70's for the price of a pie & pint, which now command serious money to prize them out of collections etc.

Not wanting to focus on the money side here (although I appreciate that "rare" and "price / value" kind of go hand in hand), but just interested in hearing of some more great recent soul releases &/or recently issued older discoveries which are being enjoyed NOW and where you think they just have "it" (everyone's view and taste is different I know) to stand the test of time...

Sounds which maybe, just maybe could be the top sought after 45's / LP's / CD's of the next 10..20...30 years?

For example, some recent(ish) "new" releases which I think are pretty great now and could fit the criteria might be say: 

- DeRobert and the Half-Truths - "The Joy" 45 and the "Beg Me" EP

- Many of the Timmion releases...eg Willie West & The High Society Bros "Lesson of Love" / "She's so wise" etc (thanks again Brian!), or Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators "If this ain't love", etc.

As for recent(ish) "discoveries" of 60's or 70's recordings which have been made available for the first time in limited quantity on 45's or LP / CD etc, I'm thinking things like say:

- Many of the amazing Kent / Ace 45 releases, eg Paramount Four "Sorry ain't the word", Spencer Wiggins "I'm at the breaking point", Willie Bollinger "I won't have to cry no more", etc.

- or LP's like the Little Ann "Deep Shadows" on Timmion / Ace (which I only picked up yesterday and think both the story behind it and the LP  itself are just brilliant).

Cheers, Steve :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

Steve your right i still sell thing's like The joy for a fiver and sometimes think shall i put a few away just incase regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Steve had a quick though on this one some of the street soul and soul junction thing's may be collectorble later as they have an on going modern feel that would endure with younger collectors.Records like J.C.Brooks,Seductive souls,Mr.Confuse,Los Charly's Orchestra,Wicked lester,1984,Derriere, ect all ltd releases as is the continental labels such as Tramp and Timmion are all worth picking up now if your into the 5,10,15 quid bracket.I've seen how fast these thing's go and repeate ordering is impossible I've had some recent thing's with ltd allacations per dealer.With the internet now collectors from all over can sample and buy so the ltd run soon goes.We try and stock as many new thing's as we can as I've alway's thought it to be proper thing to do sort of pumping the up and comming stuff ,it does have ltd sales but now I'm having people asking me for records I had 2 years ago the Maxi Priest thing is a prime example and I've seen that at £25.00 now.Even second issues of records like Joseph Henry's who is the king now changing hands for £15-£20.00 records like the Eddie Ray wiat a minute ans Sharon Jone's version of Just dropped in constantly sell out.The shipping costs and import duty will now make it too expencive to bother with so some of the newer stuff may slip throught the net and become future collectors items and to be fare they are all very decent records regards Simpn.

Social source share

Steve had a quick though on this one some of the street soul and soul junction thing's may be collectorble later as they have an on going modern feel that would endure with younger collectors.Records like J.C.Brooks,Seductive souls,Mr.Confuse,Los Charly's Orchestra,Wicked lester,1984,Derriere, ect all ltd releases as is the continental labels such as Tramp and Timmion are all worth picking up now if your into the 5,10,15 quid bracket.I've seen how fast these thing's go and repeate ordering is impossible I've had some recent thing's with ltd allacations per dealer.With the internet now collectors from all over can sample and buy so the ltd run soon goes.We try and stock as many new thing's as we can as I've alway's thought it to be proper thing to do sort of pumping the up and comming stuff ,it does have ltd sales but now I'm having people asking me for records I had 2 years ago the Maxi Priest thing is a prime example and I've seen that at £25.00 now.Even second issues of records like Joseph Henry's who is the king now changing hands for £15-£20.00 records like the Eddie Ray wiat a minute ans Sharon Jone's version of Just dropped in constantly sell out.The shipping costs and import duty will now make it too expencive to bother with so some of the newer stuff may slip throught the net and become future collectors items and to be fare they are all very decent records regards Simpn.

Thanks for that Simon.Yes I'm a fan of J. C. Brooks and also some of the Street Soul + Soul Junction releases (Natural Impulse "We're gonna make it through" being a personal fave :) ). I picked up the manic / brilliant Joseph Henry this time last year and have heard it out, although legs couldn't keep up :D .

You list some artists there I don't know and will look up, which is largely why I started this thread, but just interested to get different views too.

You make a valid point there about recent increase in shipping costs and import duty etc meaning perhaps fewer new US releases will make it over here in any great numbers. I certainly only tend to buy new UK releases, or from UK sellers.

It is interesting to see how some new records start to get played, pick up in price (often quickly!) in terms of what people then ask for them / offer for them, then level out and hold for a bit or then drop in demand again depending on what's going on. EG the first Kings Go Forth 45 from a few years ago. Has always been the way I know. Demand and supply etc.

As for this thread...to quote from sleeve notes of the Little Ann LP I'm just listening to (again!!)... "If it doesn't work out, I tried"! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

The Joseph Henry was a second issue after his death i think all or part profits from the sale went to an American cancer charity , I sold one to S.Sam afew years back and is now part of his dj spot i think G.Mahood play's it off the first issue .S.Sam is without doubt the champion of the new release and this includes other forward thinkers like S.Guriani (sorry about spelling Steve)and Sam Evans and all the alternative/free style room dj's especially the loverly Julie H .There is a nucleus of activists involved in this unfolding and expanding satalite of our scene so I think your right in a few years people will say I remember S.Sam or Julie h playing that in the free style room at Stoke.If you have any problems getting anything like this let me know if i havn't got it I can probably put you on to one regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

As with everything, anything released as 'limited edition' or in limited numbers creates instant rarity (once they're gone they're gone and if you still want one market forces then dictate price). Kings Go Forth, I think was released in limited numbers (was it 500?) if memory serves me correctly it was then pushed by some DJs fueling demand further. Similar to a couple of Gospel/Funk new releases that were limited in number (can't remember names/titles off top of head) but they already selling for £100 or thereabouts. These are of course very 'now' type sounds and it's hard to say if that will endure (although as point made earlier this sound attracts a younger crowd so there's every chance these will go up and maintain value in years to come).

As a general rule of thumb the limited numbers items are the one's to go for (although unless demand is there they won't gain in value much). That said certainly those listed Spencer Wiggins, Paramount Four etc will be the Grapevine releases of the future and how much do they go for now?

Quality always endures though whatever the type of sound or quantity released :)

Social source share

not forgetting stuff like cookin on 3 burners, jo stance, whiskey barons, lucinda slim and lone stars, the getup etc
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

ive now got that copy simon!...bought it at the last rugby off sam...told me it was a second issue but had been his play copy..he must have a deeco one now as he played it at prestatyn...john s also plays it..great record!

eddi ray mentioned earlier is a great tune too..can still pick it up for a fiver if you look

dean

The Joseph Henry was a second issue after his death i think all or part profits from the sale went to an American cancer charity , I sold one to S.Sam afew years back and is now part of his dj spot i think G.Mahood play's it off the first issue .S.Sam is without doubt the champion of the new release and this includes other forward thinkers like S.Guriani (sorry about spelling Steve)and Sam Evans and all the alternative/free style room dj's especially the loverly Julie H .There is a nucleus of activists involved in this unfolding and expanding satalite of our scene so I think your right in a few years people will say I remember S.Sam or Julie h playing that in the free style room at Stoke.If you have any problems getting anything like this let me know if i havn't got it I can probably put you on to one regards Simon.

Social source share

forward thinkers like S.Guriani (sorry about spelling Steve)

You got it all wrong, his surname is spelt .... Giryani or Biryiani .... or sumat like that ........

Its found it easier in the early 80's just to call him Steve G  (or alternatively Mr. Wand) and that has always seemed to work.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!