Bargain Of The Century

Guest stevie frear

Guest stevie frear

Tell us about your bargain finds,Anything soul related that you've paid peanuts for.....from carboots/second hand shops/or otherwise.

I'll kick off with this great find from a record shop basement  for the grand price of £2.00 :yes: Only last year !

Edwin Starr's SOULMASTER lp  ex condition.

post-23350-0-06530800-1364154855.jpg

It don't after be super rare,so long as its soul related :thumbup:

So come on lets hear some of ya stories

Stevie.

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Ha! Ha!  I've bought THOUSANDS of '60s Soul records for 10¢ (US) each or 5¢ each, at record shop bargain bins, Woolworths' 10¢ sales and in thrift and junk shops, all within 1-3 years of their release.  I would be dead before finishing the list on this thread (I'm 66 years old, and I'm a slow typist).  :rofl:   And, yes, many (if not most) would now be considered "Northern Soul" (at least one side).

My best find was NOT NS, however. 

In 1966, i was in a usually heavily picked through "Goodwill Store" in Los Angeles, and for some reason (instinct), I moved a bookshelf (which had only a few old children's records on it) , just for a quick peak behind, as I was frustrated in finding NO records to look through.  Lo and behold! There were 3 45 RPM records that had fallen behind the shelf.  One was "Dreams of You" by The Royals on Okeh Records.  A Black  R&B vocal group harmony record from 1952 (worth over $1,000 US at that time, as well as a 45 by The Aladdins on Aladdin Records from 1953 (worth about $300 then), and a 45 by The Five Keys on Aladdin from 1952 worth about $500 then.  The  Royals was in M- and the Aladdins were in VG++ condition.  That was the highlight of my thrift-shopping career.  When I told Steve Propes about that find, his face turned all sorts of red and purple.  That made me feel better about all the records that were held for him to look at AFTER I had visited many thrift shops, because propes had bribed those workers with gifts of pies from his pie delivery route (he drove a truck delivering pies to groceries and restaurants).

Ha ha..Brilliant,hey your mate steve may have had all the pie's,But you certainly took the cake ! lol

Cheers Robb

stevie

Social source share

I was mooching around the Wintergardens, disconsolate because I had no money, and looking through boxes anyway, and I came across an original of the Gypsies "It's a womans world" (issue) the first real one I had ever seen.

The chap only wanted a couple of quid too. I looked in my pocket and had to tell him "Look, I want it but I only have thirty seven and a half pence". To my absolute shock he replied "Go on then!".

Speechless!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

because propes had bribed those workers with gifts of pies from his pie delivery route (he drove a truck delivering pies to groceries and restaurants).

Hi Rob

I hope you're keeping well my friend. Them pies better have been premier pies!

:D

Peter

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Just last year i painted some sign's for the local church as i do all their event posters,signs and the likes

On completion of a chritmas fayre poster i was aproached by the wonderful lady who run's the charity good as new shop in the church

steve would you like this carrier bag of old records she asked,knowingly that collect vynal !

Yes thank you,i replied and taking them from her poppod em in the back of the van thinking there's gonna be nothing in there really for me.

That night opened up the bag and had a butchers,there were some great 45s uk stuff,most of them are up in the loft now,so i'll have to dig em out for future post's

execpt this one i found at the bottom of the carrier and at current in mi favourite play box.....

post-23350-0-89283600-1364159175_thumb.jpost-23350-0-21411200-1364159087_thumb.j

BIG MAYBELLE UK DEMO WITH THAT AWESOME B-SIDE........RESULT, HALLELUJAH :rolleyes:

Stevie

Social source share

Found this in an East L.A. street market in '75. At the time it was the most in-demand record on the Popcorn scene apparently but they only had the one copy over there which was cracked. Bought it for 5 cents and sold it for $2000. The guy flew over and picked it up from me in L.A.

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

I've had a few over the years but "best find ever":

Sheet Music - Four Tops - Still Waters

When i bought it, off a sheet music site, I was contacted by the guy selling it to apologise but there was scribbling on it. "No worries", says I "it's only a couple of bucks", ($1.99).

Yep, you guesed it. ALL FOUR signatures of the Four Tops (with no dedication), and all just next to each of their faces but on them - The perfect way to autograph something. .  

Straight into a frame and been there ever since. RESULT!

Regards,

Dave

Nice one Dave, Recently got Freddie scotts-"Where doe's love go" sheet music  $3.00, Not really a sheet music collector but had to have it ! You'd think i would be tho,pottering around with a sax ! (That reminds me, better dust it off and get more practice in) lol

Social source share

many of you

Found this in an East L.A. street market in '75. At the time it was the most in-demand record on the Popcorn scene apparently but they only had the one copy over there which was cracked. Bought it for 5 cents and sold it for $2000. The guy flew over and picked it up from me in L.A.

Very nice.  But it's really just a slight improve on "Summertime".  Had this sold a lot, they'd have been sued.  I probably passed this one up in a 10 cent or 3 for a $ pile at Wenzel's Music Town in Downey, or in an East L.A. record shop.  There wasn't ever time to listen to all the cuts.  I had to screen a lot by just looking at the label credits, and title and artist name.  I missed a lot of great records, but also found thousands of good ones.

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Nice post Ian,liking this kinda stuff mate,reminds be a bit of the horrice silver stuff...Song for my father being my fave :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Rob

I hope you're keeping well my friend. Them pies better have been premier pies!

:D

Peter

Most of you familiar with The US collectors and L.A. know of Steve Propes.  He was an R&B/early Soul collector living in Long Beach in the 60s-'70s (probably still there).  He built his collection thrift and junk shopping.  He wrote books about record collecting, thrift shopping and cleaning and care of thrift shop finds.  He has been a DJ with an "oldies" radio show on Calif. State Long Beach's PBS radio station for over 30 years. 

When I relocated from Chicago to L.A. to attend university in 1966, I started making a thrift/junk shop/record shop tour each Saturday.  The first time I went through Long Beach and its environs, I met Steve at a thrift store.  He told me I'd never find anything in that area, as "he had it all locked up."  He pointed to his pie company truck, telling me that all the thrift stores saved their records for him to get first look.  I know that's partly true, as I saw him take pies into the back of the stores a few times.  But I also know that some of the shift employees put out good records he didn't see now and again.  Whenever I'd find anything good, and he would walk in after me, he'd storm to the back room and chastise the workers for not giving him first look.  He was serious about amassing records for his collection and swapping.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most of you familiar with The US collectors and L.A. know of Steve Propes.  He was an R&B/early Soul collector living in Long Beach in the 60s-'70s (probably still there).  He built his collection thrift and junk shopping.  He wrote books about record collecting, thrift shopping and cleaning and care of thrift shop finds.  He has been a DJ with an "oldies" radio show on Calif. State Long Beach's PBS radio station for over 30 years. 

When I relocated from Chicago to L.A. to attend university in 1966, I started making a thrift/junk shop/record shop tour each Saturday.  The first time I went through Long Beach and its environs, I met Steve at a thrift store.  He told me I'd never find anything in that area, as "he had it all locked up."  He pointed to his pie company truck, telling me that all the thrift stores saved their records for him to get first look.  I know that's partly true, as I saw him take pies into the back of the stores a few times.  But I also know that some of the shift employees put out good records he didn't see now and again.  Whenever I'd find anything good, and he would walk in after me, he'd storm to the back room and chastise the workers for not giving him first look.  He was serious about amassing records for his collection and swapping.

Great stuff - I love the stories.

P

Social source share

When I had my antique shop in Sedgley around 15 years ago I put an A board up outside stating I wanted records. Cheap advertising that got me a small collection or two.

Anyway one Saturday while I was out my wife Dawn said someone had popped in the shop who had a load of easy listening and pop Lp's and some bric a brac

They left their phone nunber but I was advised by Dawn not to bother ringing back as it sounded rubbish from their brief description.

I rung back because I thought there may be something in the bric a brac and it was not too far away and arranged to go to see what they had on Sunday morning at a bungalow in Dudley.

I went in and on the living room floor was around 500 L'ps that they had got down from the loft. They were all 1960's Uk Tamla Motown and soul Lp's including most of the rarer and hard to find ones as long as the more common ones. No rubbish no easy listening or pop just all Tamla Motown and soul.

They were bought when new , played once and stored away. They were in stunning condition,

I've got to admit I trembled as I asked how much they wanted.

£25.00? for the lot they asked " We need them out the way".

Ok i said that seems fair enough.

The reply was you can have them on one condition and that is you take the bric a brac as well.

They took me in a bedroom and there was a wall clock and a load of capidimonte and other ornaments that they wanted £50.00 for which I quickly agreed to.

I kept what I wanted which I probably still have and took what I did'nt to Malvern flea market and sold most of the collection (probably too cheap) to a Worcester record  dealer who commented he had never seen this type of Motown and soul vinyl in this condition.

Although i have bought a lot of very large collections since nothing compares with the sheer  quality of this one.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

When I had my antique shop in Sedgley around 15 years ago I put an A board up outside stating I wanted records. Cheap advertising that got me a small collection or two.

Anyway one Saturday while I was out my wife Dawn said someone had popped in the shop who had a load of easy listening and pop Lp's and some bric a brac

They left their phone nunber but I was advised by Dawn not to bother ringing back as it sounded rubbish from their brief description.

I rung back because I thought there may be something in the bric a brac and it was not too far away and arranged to go to see what they had on Sunday morning at a bungalow in Dudley.

I went in and on the living room floor was around 500 L'ps that they had got down from the loft. They were all 1960's Uk Tamla Motown and soul Lp's including most of the rarer and hard to find ones as long as the more common ones. No rubbish no easy listening or pop just all Tamla Motown and soul.

They were bought when new , played once and stored away. They were in stunning condition,

I've got to admit I trembled as I asked how much they wanted.

£25.00? for the lot they asked " We need them out the way".

Ok i said that seems fair enough.

The reply was you can have them on one condition and that is you take the bric a brac as well.

They took me in a bedroom and there was a wall clock and a load of capidimonte and other ornaments that they wanted £50.00 for which I quickly agreed to.

I kept what I wanted which I probably still have and took what I did'nt to Malvern flea market and sold most of the collection (probably too cheap) to a Worcester record  dealer who commented he had never seen this type of Motown and soul vinyl in this condition.

Although i have bought a lot of very large collections since nothing compares with the sheer  quality of this one.

Great stuff craig

Social source share

Most of you familiar with The US collectors and L.A. know of Steve Propes.  He was an R&B/early Soul collector living in Long Beach in the 60s-'70s (probably still there).  He built his collection thrift and junk shopping. 

When I relocated from Chicago to L.A. to attend university in 1966, I started making a thrift/junk shop/record shop tour each Saturday.  The first time I went through Long Beach and its environs, I met Steve at a thrift store.  He told me I'd never find anything in that area, as "he had it all locked up."  He pointed to his pie company truck, telling me that all the thrift stores saved their records for him to get first look.  I know that's partly true, as I saw him take pies into the back of the stores a few times. 

What sort of pies?? We all want to know!

Social source share

What sort of pies?? We all want to know!

I don't remember the company (some bakery).  That was almost 50 years ago.  I doubt that even Steve would remember now.  But they were the standard American dessert pies (no meat-we don't eat those here in North America!).  You know the American style-apple, cherry, peach, lemon merangue, blueberry, raspberry, lemon custard, banana cream, blackberry, boysenberry, chocolate cream, pumpkin, etc.  We call 'em tarts in Holland.  I guess you'd call them tarts as well (?). 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

I don't remember the company (some bakery).  That was almost 50 years ago.  I doubt that even Steve would remember now.  But they were the standard American dessert pies (no meat-we don't eat those here in North America!).  You know the American style-apple, cherry, peach, lemon merangue, blueberry, raspberry, lemon custard, banana cream, blackberry, boysenberry, chocolate cream, pumpkin, etc.  We call 'em tarts in Holland.  I guess you'd call them tarts as well (?). 

oh Apples,peaches,pumkin pie...jay and the americans. picked loads of em up over the years 10 British p's. Ha ha

stevie

Social source share

Yeah, 'bargain finds' that go back 20, or 47, years are not exactly awe inspiring - fun for the buyer to remember and retell to his/her drinking pals, OK. If you couldn't find rare soul, or for that matter garage 45s and psych/private LPs for pennies, you weren't trying, as they were pretty much underfoot everywhere in the US (and Canada) until 10-12 years ago.

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

most of these stories are about bargains from last century

Mine were'nt they were in the last couple of yrs,but still all good stories with results,dos'nt matter if they are from last century or present,there good to hear.

i'm sure you have a bargain find tucked away,that at the time you were pretty damn pleased with ?

Ha ha funny tho "last century indeed" :facepalm:

stevie.

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

Last year I went to Las Vegas for the Xmas period.

I only had 1 half day available for record stores, so I decided to hit the one near the Airbase East of Freemont.

There was only a hand full of boxes of vinyl left, but I managed to find a nice clean Tobi Legend "Time Will Pass You By" on Demo marked up at $20.

When it came to settling up, the guy behind the counter knocked it down to $12 since I'd had a bit of a natter to him during the hour or so that i spent in the store.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Yeah, 'bargain finds' that go back 20, or 47, years are not exactly awe inspiring - fun for the buyer to remember and retell to his/her drinking pals, OK. If you couldn't find rare soul, or for that matter garage 45s and psych/private LPs for pennies, you weren't trying, as they were pretty much underfoot everywhere in the US (and Canada) until 10-12 years ago.

Yeah we all know about that there were stax of em everywhere in the states,also hear in britain you could by boxes full us soul 45s in the form of soul packs for a few £s, infact you still can buy soul packs (but for a few more £s) And we in uk did'nt have access to them as are stateside pals.

stevie

Social source share

Ha! Ha!  With my accelerating senility, I have virtually NO short-term memory!  I can't remember ANYTHING that's happened in the last 30 years.  So, naturally my stories are all from the '50s and '60s.  I haven't paid attention to anything that's happened since the end of the 1960s, in any case!  I like to hear stories about the "old days", and I hope others here do, as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Last year I went to Las Vegas for the Xmas period.

I only had 1 half day available for record stores, so I decided to hit the one near the Airbase East of Freemont.

There was only a hand full of boxes of vinyl left, but I managed to find a nice clean Tobi Legend "Time Will Pass You By" on Demo marked up at $20.

When it came to settling up, the guy behind the counter knocked it down to $12 since I'd had a bit of a natter to him during the hour or so that i spent in the store.

Nice one, these are one's, the one off little finds (or big finds in this case)

cheers

stevie :D

Social source share

I don't think so George, I was visiting the US every year from 1974 for twenty years and it was never easy. You'd regularly hit stores and all the "Northern" had gone. I made money from Popcorn, Girly, Rock and even blues/doowop to make a living. If it had been easy I'd have gone every other month. Once or twice a year was fine. What happened of course is that Northern kept moving the goalposts so each trip there were new titles or styles of soul to pick up.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Teeside racecourse boot sale 1988 or thereabouts....oh that's a major Lance UK dwmo of Ain't No Soul...I've heard of this other group..The Game It's Shocking What they call Me...UK demo.I'll have a punt on both...that'll be a pound.I left the Beatles demos.Funny rhing is my mate had gone through them...nothing there Kev.Still got both.Best ever haul was in San Francisco... A few mint copies of Rhonda Davis..A copy of Melvin Elling..A copy of Benny Troy plus a holdall of other pieces all at 2 dollars 99 cents.He let me off with the tax.Got rid of the Melvin which paid my flight.

Social source share

3 bargains for me -

Bought jimmy bo Horne - just cant speak - for £8 (or thereabouts) from black grape when it was first discovered by Kitch & Dean Anderson

Sold it to Ginger Taylor for £1150 about 16 years ago - result!!!

Brought back 4 copies of Milton Parker - women like it harder $5 each and sold them all for about £450 each - again about 15 years ago

Same trip stumbled upon a guy who had multiple copies of Hesitations LP - Soul Superman & Freddie Butler LP - all still sealed - think I came back with about 15 copies of each for about $3 each - sold them all for about £60/£70 - again about 15 years ago

I think everyone will have a lot better stories, but I thought I would share these

Jim

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest CARL D

Found mint copies of 2 45s i was after ages ago on ebay,but not under northern - Donna Loren-Blowin out the candles-capitol p.s.(x2)@$6 each from 1 seller. Volcanoes-Take me back again-Harthon@$5,from another. This was b4 paypal i think,coz i paid via western union, which cost a bomb, totally ruining the initial bargain! Carl

Social source share

After having a nightmare couple of weeks personal shit,

Then writing my car off on Fri eve on way to dj at Buxton

Things do even out!!

Last weekend it was Leicester record fare - walked out (ran)

With a mint president demo of Albert Washington - I'm the man

And Bobby Hebb - you want to change me mint Philips issue (British)

The two for £2!!!!!

Then at black hearts on sat white demo of 4 Sonics - its easier said £4

And save the best till last . Demo Stanley Mitchell - get it babe

With a nasty photo copied label over ORIGINAL VINYL £5!!!

Ey thank you!!

Dazz

• Helpful 3
Social source share

my best was off gemm.

doc peabody  the seller had it up for $6 vg-, so i says does it play ok.  he sends me a sound clip and says you can have it for $3.

traded it for just over a grand.

also had a mary saxton $1.65 also off gemm, sold on mannys auction £910

rupe

• Helpful 1
Social source share

last year i got 2 emails of ebay saying....quotations / i dont have to worry  just been listed on us ebay.

both were from same guy & listed in rock section.

so emailed & asked price to buy it now.he got back to me saying he had just removed them from ebay,thot someone beat me to it.

what happened was he had 4 copies,2 were good & 2 were bad,but had chucked the good copies out by mistake & thats why removed from ebay,lol.

so asked what condition the bad ones were.he said i dont have to worry plays ok on one disc but not on the other.said sounded like they had dust in grooves.

thot id take a risk cause ive had a couple of copies before & they both had slight background noise(just the pressing i think).

so asked how much for both,came back & said $5 for them both,ok ill take them,lol.

got them week later & both played great. 1 vg++ 1 ex.

just a pity about other 2 copies,they must of been mint.

Social source share

Sometime in the early part of this century, I was at a flea market looking at some 45's. The seller said "I have a few more

I forgot to put out" and hands me a paper bag with about 50 45's in it. There was nothing really special except for the 2

45's I wanted.

I take them to the seller who tells me "And don't think I don't know how much they're worth."

So I said ( as calmly as possible) - "Well, how much are they?"

The seller thinks about it for awhile and tells me $2.00 each.

I told him I would take them and left with a mint minus copy of Art Freeman "Slipping Around With You" and

the Honeybees on Garrison in about vg+ condition.

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

a

After having a nightmare couple of weeks personal shit,
Then writing my car off on Fri eve on way to dj at Buxton
Things do even out!!

Last weekend it was Leicester record fare - walked out (ran)
With a mint president demo of Albert Washington - I'm the man
And Bobby Hebb - you want to change me mint Philips issue (British)
The two for £2!!!!!

Then at black hearts on sat white demo of 4 Sonics - its easier said £4
And save the best till last . Demo Stanley Mitchell - get it babe
With a nasty photo copied label over ORIGINAL VINYL £5!!!
Ey thank you!!
Dazz

Ha Ha ran out- - - :sweatingbullets: ,I had the same experience once in a shop that had all kinds of musical items in from cd's books pop ex records "pop ex" racks remember them in record shops..got i'm a fool i must love-falcons - big wheel out of the pop ex section 10p :ohmy:.

Anyways i'm in this shop and notice boxes of 45s hear and there,There was one guy knelt on the floor flicking through some,I eagle eyed some uk tamla 45s he were pullin,Stuff of the common-grapevine-stoned love etc etc,,,But noticed he was passing by the one's with the big hole in the centre "us".

On his completion i was in there like an eagle,Well the first two were Funny how we change places...boogie with your baby...and so on i did'nt bother going through them all,as i heard the guy before me saying "How much for these please at the counter....Oh 20p each ta.....well i grabbed the box,just short of 100 as i flicked through them on the counter and give £20...could'nt get out fast enough :sweatingbullets: ....went back a bit later though a got loads modern,boogie,jazz funk 45s on uk 20p....And this is only Four year back.....the box was full of mecca stuff ! around 2grand of stuff. Maybe Not the the sale of century but Great to find stuff in this day and age, with e-bay and wot not-everyman and as dog "dealing" lol

Thanks for ya stories folks,It's all fun and games ain't it. :thumbsup:

stevie

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Lol,Nicely Drew good un.....A once found a mouldy pie down back of fridge :facepalm:

Hollands dosey(ier), Hollands!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.
I'll get me coat.

Regards.
Drew

Social source share

About five years ago picked up a uk demo copy on Coral of Jackie Wilson Who Who Song/Since You Showed Me To Be Happy vg+ condition for 10p. Also for the same price Lou Johnson Unsatisfied on London (noc). Bargain basement of Record Exchange in Camden which sadly has since closed down. Also a couple of years ago at an London Olympia record fair, Martha Reeves, No One There on a Mint TMG green demo for £4.

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

About five years ago picked up a uk demo copy on Coral of Jackie Wilson Who Who Song/Since You Showed Me To Be Happy vg+ condition for 10p. Also for the same price Lou Johnson Unsatisfied on London (noc). Bargain basement of Record Exchange in Camden which sadly has since closed down. Also a couple of years ago at an London Olympia record fair, Martha Reeves, No One There on a Mint TMG green demo for £4.

Nice one,Me jackie wilson-whispers lp uk coral.....Oxfam 3.00 3yr ago :D

Stevie.

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

many of you

Very nice.  But it's really just a slight improve on "Summertime".  Had this sold a lot, they'd have been sued.  I probably passed this one up in a 10 cent or 3 for a $ pile at Wenzel's Music Town in Downey, or in an East L.A. record shop.  There wasn't ever time to listen to all the cuts.  I had to screen a lot by just looking at the label credits, and title and artist name.  I missed a lot of great records, but also found thousands of good ones.

Truth is I would have totally passed this by as it was way too early for what I was looking for at the time. However, I was hanging around with a record collecting hippy called Chris Peake at the time and he'd mentioned this record to me as one that his Belgium contact would pay serious money for. I found it in an industrial street market in deep east L.A. which had thousands of 45's under a tarpaulin. I also found 50 copies of Eloise Laws "Love Factory" and 50 copies of Segments Of Time "Memories", two Terrible Toms and a Johnny Caswell. I shudder to think of what I left there! :g:

Social source share

Truth is I would have totally passed this by as it was way too early for what I was looking for at the time. However, I was hanging around with a record collecting hippy called Chris Peake at the time and he'd mentioned this record to me as one that his Belgium contact would pay serious money for. I found it in an industrial street market in deep east L.A. which had thousands of 45's under a tarpaulin. I also found 50 copies of Eloise Laws "Love Factory" and 50 copies of Segments Of Time "Memories", two Terrible Toms and a Johnny Caswell. I shudder to think of what I left there! :g:

I know Chris Peake very well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!