Bargain Of The Century

Guest stevie frear

99 cents for a "player" copy of Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long on the original yellow label...on EBAY! with free shipping too. Had to have it shipped to my mom's in California (seller wouldn't ship overseas) and wait ages for it, but it was well worth it. 

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

most of these stories are about bargains from last century

party pooper, they make great reading.

i was once in a thrift shop in adelaide and bought a few aussie releases on a few good lables like KAPPand HICKORY and a few british stuff. nothing exciting and never bothered to play them as they all looked mint. any how a few years later and a shift over the nulabor i was tidying a few records away and came across the stack from the thrift shop and decided to play them and file them, gladys knight, newbeats, tina turner and a few others. i was down to the last one and about to go to bed when i thought...... hold on a minute, ive seen this title before. a white parlaphone demo, a side too, of "you make me feel like someone" and written by levine and tree. hang on a mo i thought and went to the racks, pulling out an acetate from john manships auction, credited to jimmy radcliffe same song and a cover letter advising the company what a good record it was. just such a coincidence, a sheer twilight moment...................

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

Back in 1975, bought a selection from a guy who said I could choose any 10 for £10.  He had a copy of 4 Tops Reach Out on an Audition Copy.  Bought 10, threw 9 away and kept it for about 15 years until someone nicked it from my box at a do !!

May be the same arse who recently nicked my Shane Martin Epic Demo a few months ago !!!!!

Social source share

5er each for

7 Dwarfs - Stop Girl - US Ideal orig

Jack Jacobs - I Believe it's Alright - US LIbra 

Both found in Uk  last year Crate Diggin Best way to find um in my book  :shhh:  :D  :wicked:

In the same shop  :huh:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Sorry folks, Got a nice copy of Bob Marley Young soul rebels on british Upsetter LP,

Vinyl EX+ Cover VG++  For the extorsionate price of 50p in a charity shop in wellingborough last tuesday after being dissapointed

that there were no records to be found in the Flea market, Also a dozen £5 sounds for £1 mostley reggae.

THERE STILL OUT THERE IF YOU TAKE THE TIME OUT TO LOOK

Garry

Social source share

I've had several incredibly lucky days over the years...one of the most memorable was circa 1996 in suburban Detroit at a heavy-metal record shop I'd driven by dozens of times but never checked out. Decided to take a look inside one day and it was pretty much what I expected: rock LPs and CDs and T-shirts and posters. I'd barely walked five steps into the place and was turning to leave when two 2-foot stacks of unsleeved 45s in the corner caught my eye. I crouched down to thumb through them and found three keepers: Marvin Gaye "Teen Beat Song," Dusty Wilson "It's Gonna Be a Tragedy," and Gwen Owens "Just Say You're Wanted and Needed." Total: $1.50 plus tax.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Just found two weeks ago on Amazon (of all places) a single in M- condition for $4.00, only one I could find prior to this was with a European seller on Discogs for 150 euros, result...

And the single was ?.....

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Major IV - All of My Love wd....$5

"Only last year" maybe not bargain of the century but a bargain all the same :wicked: 

Social source share

Haven't had a real bargain in ages but not been looking to be honest...when I lived in Hastings I used to get some great buys

frankie & johnny - uk decca £1

ray charles - don't need no doctor - uk hmv demo 50p

tintern abbey - vacuum cleaner - deram demo £5

artwoods - art gallery LP - uk decca 50p

billy joe royal - hearts desire - uk cbs 30p

steve alaimo - every day i have to cry - uk pye int 50p

wilson pickett - let me be your boy - uk mgm demo £6

if anyone has any old copies of my magazine, I used to feature all the bargains in there, stacks of them

the oddest one, was in 1999, I'd been to a boot sale, found nothing, got a phone call about an hour after I'd got back, bloke I know says he thinks he's found a record at the boot sale which I might be interested in - anyway, apparently this old lady only had the one single, it was leaning against the wheel of her car, he paid her 10p for it and was on the phone to me within minutes - it was a mint Uk Polydor demo of To The Ends Of The Earth by Tony Middleton!  I gave him £200 for it...

Social source share

someone sent me a wild sounds unlimited (i know you) with no details on it just in the usual brown card sleeve, i didnt know what it was or where it came from ,, but i know i never purchased it as i had never even heard of it, sorry its not quite the same , but to me its a bargain , and also on the brilliant e-bay i picked up anna king, Big Change, no bids cost me about 60cents postage about £5, suppose everyones gonna say they sent me the wild sounds by mistake now, ha ha

Social source share

Here's a weird one.

When Ron Holden "I'll Forgive & Forget" had gone massive at Wigan, I was married and left my Mum and Dad's house in Pelsall, near Walsall.

Went back one tea time to take my kid sister out to the fair on Pelsall common. One stall was giving out 45's as a compensation for not winning whatever the stall did. Anyway, I paid for my sister to have a go and guess what....was handed a mint Ron Holden as the compensation single!

I took it to back to my parents and then went straight back to the stall and told the guy I would buy his records if any I wanted. He let me have a look through and nothing else there.

Social source share

Guest drewid

Once at Blake n Kevs soul night at normanton town hall and bought a soul pack of Fred ward , I shoved it in the back of my rec cupboard and months later had a look through , in that pack were Master force "hey girl" rainforest, Barbara Carr " my mama told me", carlena weaver , jealousy , not bad for a 5r . Trev Thomas also bought one and was flicking em over the balustrade and down the stairs lol , we had a few but the Yorkshireman in me prevailed!! Lol

Social source share

Here an even weirder one for you Neil ,

i went to school with your kid sister Lisa and she used to get me a record now and again ,when i couldnt get down to RGS, i remember her having my 50p dinner money for a millie jackson House for sale,

small world, dont worry she never got me anythin bigger than that, and if she's in the shit tell her i'm sorry

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know Chris Peake very well.

How is he? I haven't seen him since 1976. We used to hang out quite a bit. We'd go digging on the basis that I could get the soul and he could get the early punk/garage stuff. His house was ridiculous. Records in every room including the loo and even in the fridge LOL..

I lost my whole top end hearing when he took me to see Ted Nugent @ the Collosseum. I've never known such pain in my life as that feedback. Please give him my regards when you next see him. I had some fantastic scores with him! Also I found Willie Hutch "Love Runs Out" at his house when it was still covered up. Happy times.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

someone sent me a wild sounds unlimited (i know you) with no details on it just in the usual brown card sleeve, i didnt know what it was or where it came from ,, but i know i never purchased it as i had never even heard of it, sorry its not quite the same , but to me its a bargain , and also on the brilliant e-bay i picked up anna king, Big Change, no bids cost me about 60cents postage about £5, suppose everyones gonna say they sent me the wild sounds by mistake now, ha ha

yeah it was me....can i have it now please !  lol :yes:

cheers

stevie

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

How is he? I haven't seen him since 1976. We used to hang out quite a bit. We'd go digging on the basis that I could get the soul and he could get the early punk/garage stuff. His house was ridiculous. Records in every room including the loo and even in the fridge LOL..

I lost my whole top end hearing when he took me to see Ted Nugent @ the Collosseum. I've never known such pain in my life as that feedback. Please give him my regards when you next see him. I had some fantastic scores with him! Also I found Willie Hutch "Love Runs Out" at his house when it was still covered up. Happy times.....

"In the fridge" ha ha ...Bet they were all cool sounds :facepalm:

Sorry mate i'll get mi coat

stevie :D

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

This one i got about 7 yr ago from a back street music shop which as closed now,And is in the manships uk price guide but states the ep as jackie day and bobby day on ?
John wanted to see a pic of it following a e-mail i sent him some time ago,I've just dug it out of the loft as it was'nt in the place i thought it was and sent the pic to john through fb as i'm not sure weather or not he's on ss
Anyways for the bargain side of this 45 was that i give the shop owner a hand full of northern soul cd's for it ! Result:D

rare uk SUE IEP-711

:thumbup:  :rolleyes:                    :thumbup:  :rolleyes:

Stevie :hatsoff2:                       

Social source share

Sorry to say that I haven't seen Chris since 1985.  1984 was the last year I spent an appreciable amount of time in L.A. working with Airwave Records.  Although still an owning partner, I spent only a couple months each year there, having started working full-time for Dutch Disney Publications in late 1984 (and spending much of  the time in Holland).  I did see Chris in 1985, as he was very friendly with Tom DePierro.  But, I never saw him after that.  I did hear that Chris helped take care of Tom when he was dying of cancer, and that he ended up with Tom's record collection. 

I first met Chris in the later mid '60s, when he was a big Rock-A-Billy fan.  He had just moved south from Central California, and lived in the back room of Poohbah Records, in Downtown Pasadena.  He had hundreds of thousands of Rock & Roll and Rock-A-Billy records mostly by Caucasian artists.  In the late 60s, he switched his taste (and allegiance to '50s R&B.  Then,at the beginning of the '70s he switched to Soul. Then, in the mid '70s he switched to hard rock and Punk.  He'd continuously change what he liked and turn over his whole collection and sales stock (hundreds of thousands of records) to something different.  How very strange!  Sort of like John Hillyard (another bizarre character). 

Of course, most serious collectors are plenty weird. 

I wonder what people are saying about me? 

(eh, Rod?) :rofl:

Social source share

Not a recent find but a very welcome one.................. 80/81 used to spend a fair amount of time in a record shop in Chapel Street market London. Used to have boxes & boxes of 60s & 70s @ 10 & 20 pence lots of motown & commercial soul but the occasional goodie such as Tom Emmanuel and Ron Experience - Why( the knower) / When you lose your groove. 

They also had a box of more recent stuff that hadn't sold & these were also priced @ 10 or 20pence. I bought the odd thing that looked interesting & most ended up gathering dust in the back of various boxes.

Fast forward to 2006/7 flicking through manships price guide & thought that name sounds familiar, had a search in my boxes & came up with a mint copy of Herby Brown One More Broken Heart Blue Ash bought from the market shop..... a very nice profit on that one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

UK Esther Phillips - Just say goodbye issue - Ex £4.00 Camden Market circa 1989. Sold UK ebay £106.00 circa 2004.

Yeah i also got that one on the black and silver uk....in with the intensions on sue,how could i forget that :rofl: there was some more but my memory :huh:

and for a hand full of cd's :thumbsup:

Stevie :D

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

He's another great find of mine not record but book.....OFF THE RECORD motown by master number 1959-1989 volume 1: singles by Reginald j.Bartlette.

Found 2 yrs ago on a west yorkshire flee market.....£3.00

post-23350-0-70915600-1364399101_thumb.j

Social source share

Legendary producer/arranger Claus Ogermann moved back to Munich in the mid 90s. Brought a basement full of 1960's records with him and sold most of them to local dealers for peanuts. One of the dealers ended up with the 7". I was one of the first to go through the lot. And I said hello to 25 count boxes of Lynne Randell - Stranger in my arms - Epic P/S and Shawn Elliott - The joker - Roulette W/D. Bought them for a few Deutschmarks each and sold/traded most to UK dealers. Infact, I financied two trips to the 100 club that way.

Before anyone asks, of course he had boxes of Tony Middleton on Mala and MGM too. Plenty of demos and issues. But some c*nt tipped him off that a local Jazz dealer ripped him off and he refused to sell them to anyone.

Social source share

Had quite a few bargain finds over the years, but one of the best soul ones was "It'll Never Be Over For Me" by Timi Yuro on UK Liberty - found in Greenwich market for £1 one Sunday afternoon in January 1989.  Swapped it two years later with Dawn Brown for The Arcades on Triad.

Also had "We Got To Start Over" by The Turbines on Cenco from a US list for $10 in 2001.  Coincidentally, it went to Nick Brown (Dawn's husband) for £800 worth of trades a few years later, amongst them a lovely mint Eddie Foster on In.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Got this for £2 off the local market.

Sold it on here for £25 a few years back.....only its probably worth a wee bit more,£150+....bargain reversal alert !!! :lol:  Not my thing at all ,but someone loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5jqykKsbk

Yeah i'd put this in the same category as the thing ginger was spinning a few year back (western movie songs) :yes: Just needs a few clip clop of the horse here and there :lol:

Stevie  :D

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

1994, I got an Anthony & The Aqua Lads "I Remember" on Gold Bee out of a shop in Eastbourne, the bloke actually gave it to me for nothing because I bought a few others off him including a Detroit Spinners "I'll Always Love You" Tamla Motown red and white demo for £25.

Social source share

Legendary producer/arranger Claus Ogermann moved back to Munich in the mid 90s. Brought a basement full of 1960's records with him and sold most of them to local dealers for peanuts. One of the dealers ended up with the 7". I was one of the first to go through the lot. And I said hello to 25 count boxes of Lynne Randell - Stranger in my arms - Epic P/S and Shawn Elliott - The joker - Roulette W/D. Bought them for a few Deutschmarks each and sold/traded most to UK dealers. Infact, I financied two trips to the 100 club that way.

Before anyone asks, of course he had boxes of Tony Middleton on Mala and MGM too. Plenty of demos and issues. But some c*nt tipped him off that a local Jazz dealer ripped him off and he refused to sell them to anyone.

I remember buying 2 or 3 of those Lynn Randells off you - mint issues with demo copy stickers on them I think

Social source share

Guest drewid

Parisians twinkle. Demon hot min £30 queens hall Bradford all niter thing was I couldn't make my mind up wether to bother , saw the seller ready to go home and decided I'd buy it at last minute , traded it on a couple of year later

Edited by drewid
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Good deal!  That's a VERY expensive book.

yeah,Great find eh...I've seen it going for £100+ since,may have doubled now :ohmy:

Its a fantastic book as well...some records in there that i've got hold of since,that i have been informed are album only!! :shades:

Stevie :thumbsup:

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

Totally Mint Stateside Red and White demo of the Temptations "Girl,Why Do You Want To Make Me Blue"

30p at car boot sale!!!

Trouble is, I could not pass by a boot sale for years after that!

Social source share

Sorry to say that I haven't seen Chris since 1985.  1984 was the last year I spent an appreciable amount of time in L.A. working with Airwave Records.  Although still an owning partner, I spent only a couple months each year there, having started working full-time for Dutch Disney Publications in late 1984 (and spending much of  the time in Holland).  I did see Chris in 1985, as he was very friendly with Tom DePierro.  But, I never saw him after that.  I did hear that Chris helped take care of Tom when he was dying of cancer, and that he ended up with Tom's record collection. 

I first met Chris in the later mid '60s, when he was a big Rock-A-Billy fan.  He had just moved south from Central California, and lived in the back room of Poohbah Records, in Downtown Pasadena.  He had hundreds of thousands of Rock & Roll and Rock-A-Billy records mostly by Caucasian artists.  In the late 60s, he switched his taste (and allegiance to '50s R&B.  Then,at the beginning of the '70s he switched to Soul. Then, in the mid '70s he switched to hard rock and Punk.  He'd continuously change what he liked and turn over his whole collection and sales stock (hundreds of thousands of records) to something different.  How very strange!  Sort of like John Hillyard (another bizarre character). 

Of course, most serious collectors are plenty weird. 

I wonder what people are saying about me? 

(eh, Rod?) :rofl:

Wow. I honestly didn't think his tastes were as diverse as that. He seemed almost obsessional about collecting every early L.A. punk or Garage band record he could get his hands on. In fact it was Chris who first described to me what a punk was and this was way before the so-called punk explosion in the UK.

He was definitely weird though. Mind you, I always seem to get on with weirdos for some reason........ :lol:

Social source share

Guest stevie frear

Totally Mint Stateside Red and White demo of the Temptations "Girl,Why Do You Want To Make Me Blue"

30p at car boot sale!!!

Trouble is, I could not pass by a boot sale for years after that!

Ha Ha Me too... Even set up shop.ask derek pearson...he did'nt notice me and was looking through some stuff i had,when he looked up and saw me me..."oh i might have known it'd be you..most intresting box of stuff i've ever seen on a carboot" he says ...and then try's to buy the record box there in !! Ha ha

Has you can see he did'nt get it, love this box.....And a bargain at £2 maybe 5 yr back :lol:  post-23350-0-74923100-1364415812_thumb.j

I'd consider swapping it for the temps 45 tho :huh:

Stevie  :D

Edited by stevie frear
Social source share

Guest stevie frear

If only Shakin Stevens records were witha pot of gold in charity shops i would be a millionaire :(

Yeah,Could have had every "Carousel" the musical lp ever pressed :rofl:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!