Anyone Like The Real Thing?

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Does anyone like the band The Real Thing. I do but know they have not done any Northern soul, but lots of Disco stuff. Fav has to be You To Me Are Everything

Edited by WPaulVanDyk
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My faves would be their version of Love Takes Tears on Calibre and the track they did under the name The Chants - I've Been Trying - wouldn't call them disco !!!

Girf

...and the fantastic "Stone Cold Love Affair" which - be warned - I've got in my box as a possible play for this coming MonuMENTAL!

Agree 100% about "Love Takes Tears" - and, of course, if "You To Me..." had been an obscuity instead of a # 1 hit, it would have been one of the all time biggest records that the Modern scene would ever have had!

TONE :huh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

...and the fantastic "Stone Cold Love Affair" which - be warned - I've got in my box as a possible play for this coming MonuMENTAL!

Agree 100% about "Love Takes Tears" - and, of course, if "You To Me..." had been an obscuity instead of a # 1 hit, it would have been one of the all time biggest records that the Modern scene would ever have had!

TONE :huh:

YTMAE has one of the best opening verses in 70s pop music.

Its just one of those tunes, that after a drink or two has you singing along to. Not that you'd find me admitting that in public mind.

Social source share

TONE :lol:

Yes indeed - whats the Stone Cold Love on ??? One of their other Calibre tracks is tops too - 'I Believe In Love' I think. Have a soft spot for Can You Feel The Force too :huh: - now that is disco !!!

Girf

Social source share

weren't they from liverpool? didn't they do something on rca as the chants (if so i've got it and it's quite good).

i love ytmae btw :huh:

Social source share

weren't they from liverpool? didn't they do something on rca as the chants (if so i've got it and it's quite good).

i love ytmae btw :lol:

Dan, why do you always have to ram your opinions down peoples throats and antagonise them all the time. :angry:

It wouldn't have been allowed to happen in the good old days you know. :huh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Initially I thought this was going to be a posting for the freebasing section, about whether Coca Cola tastes better than Pepsi Cola.

Social source share

i love ytmae btw :huh:

Yes they were from Liverpool and were originally called either the Chants or the Vocal Perfection but I don't think they were the same group that were on RCA. I used to see them regularly at the Mardi Gras in Mount Pleasant when Billy Butler was the DJ and They were two bothers in the group Called Chris & Eddie Amoo, the other two were dumped when they became the Real Thing as they weren't good looking enough.

Best record was "Children of the Ghetto" which they wrote and was covered very well by Courtney Pine.

Was a great venue the old Mardi Gras, also saw Manchester's Great Expectations there and I think they had a minor hit in the states with something which escapes me at the moment. Also saw Wilson Pickett, Arthur Conley.

Kev

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yes indeed - whats the Stone Cold Love on ??? One of their other Calibre tracks is tops too - 'I Believe In Love' I think. Have a soft spot for Can You Feel The Force too :lol: - now that is disco !!!

Girf

'Twas on Pye International, rather than regular Pye (although it was recorded here). Also came out in the USA on 20th Century 2185 - very handy for us elitist gits who prefer not to have Pye 45s!!!!

Actually they had a lot of US releases - four on Epic (including CYFTF) four on UA (including YTMAE) and this one. Talk about your coals to Newcastle...

TONE :P

Social source share

Does anyone like the band The Real Thing. I do but know they have not done any Northern soul, but lots of Disco stuff. Fav has to be You To Me Are Everything

About 76 a couple of dozen of us spent a couple of weeks in sunny Torquay.

A club on the waterside put the Real thing on i think they were having a chart with-

/You to me are everything!

Had a great night but as we came out one of the Bouncers put his hand down on a guy named Steve Pardoes shoulder ,Steve had a blisster the size of a Portugese man of war, and squeeled in pain as it exploded!,Steve measured 5 foot nothing! Turned round and layed this guy who was built like a barn door spark out in reaction! Rest of the bouncers couldnt beleive it as steve was jumping around like a red indian,totally gone mental!

We quickly had to stop the imminent onslaught by them with the reasons why?Luckily there was enough of us!,when they saw his shoulder they understood and offered him a job! :lol: EEeeee Memories!

Social source share

The Real Thing were the same Liverpool group as the 60's rca group the Chants, Baby I don't need your love being the uk only rarity ,also the same as the Chants who recorded on pye in the 60's & indeed the same group on chipping norton records,I remember reading that they were the uk's answer to the Temptations ,took them a long time to get any hits & they cut some great northern soul tracks along the way so fair play to them. :lol:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

They did a cover of I Can't Help Myself in 1987. Fantastic but i seen them 3 times so far it's a thing that everytime Real Thing or Jimmy James plays here i have to go and see them as they 2 of my fav soul acts. my all time fav sadly died years ago

Social source share

Seem to remember them doin a gig at our local Soul venue Paynes Cafe Royale in Llandudno ,I may be wrong or confused or possiby senile,thought they later appeared on Hughie Green's show and won it too......can someone verify or put me feckin straight,thanking you kindly sourcerers. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

They sure did win Opportunity knocks but had already had hits before they would have won it for being so talented. I still think they are one of the best soul bands ever

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!