News: Mel Britt R.I.P

Pete S

https://youtu.be/DLaz3BpdDo0

Seems hardly a week goes by without another of our idols passes away!

R.I.P Mel, and thanks for some wonderful music

https://youtu.be/DLaz3BpdDo0

Seems hardly a week goes by without another of our idols passes away!

R.I.P Mel, and thanks for some wonderful music

Really glad you posted this Dave, SCRB is incredible and right up there in most top tens but I have always thought this is awesome, remember also the great comedy film "National Lampoons Animal House" the group who play at the Toga Party and who are playing in that hilarious scene when John Belushi et al turn up at the non whites diner Otis Daye and The Knights, if you look at the credits, Melvin Britt is in them.

Kev

Social source share

quality record from a quality guy...met up with him in Chicago on the soul trip,  he got on our coach and he just could not believe the admiration we all had for him....r.i.p. Mel Britt... has any got a video of Mel Britt  in the Memphis Smoke in Detroit that day would love to see it....

Social source share

I'll never forget the "Mel Britt moment" at the bar in Detroit.

A Northern Soul icon watching people from across the Atlantic adoring his music in a way he would never have thought possible.

Anybody who was there and says they did not get a tear in their eye is telling a tall one.

God Bless Mel and thank you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Really sad news, as the others on the USA trip have said it was a humbling moment to see his reaction to SCRB being sung & clapped to by a bunch of brits,

I remember the first thing the late Glenn Hunter said to Mel was have you got any SCRB in your cellar to which Mel replyed i wish i had!

It was a special moment in my soul life seeing him in that bar in Detroit

R.I.P.Mell you will never be forgotten,

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

Some fantastic stories and memories of Mr Britt - it must have been a wonderful experience for those people who met him. He sounds like a real gentleman. It is indeed sad that he has passed away - but what a legacy he leaves behind. Thousands of people will have danced to his record(s) - and many more will continue to dance to, listen to and love his wonderful music. 

I'll make a toast to you Sir, Mr Mel Britt - and turn up the volume. :hatsoff2:

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Very sad news indeed, it was an honour to have met and spent some time with him on Soultrip USA in 2009. The music will last forever. Mick Perrins.

as you say it was a pleasure to meet him in memphis smoke and the responce when scrb was played with everyone singing it to him was a once in a lifetime moment and it was pleasing to see so many people with tears in there eye's showing there respect to mel ,thanks for the music sir and thanks to kev roberts for putting altogether

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

That is so true,R.I.P. mel,you gave me a lot of joy and will carry on doing so in your music,a true legend on the Northern Scene.

very sad news. . you hear Mel Brit and immediately you see yellow and blue spinning around on a turntable.  RIP

Social source share

Guest ruppy

Mel became a special friend to those who went on SoultripUSA 2009 to Chicago/Detroit. As the promoters of the event, we secretly arranged to pick up Mel from a motorway services near his home in Battle Creek, Michigan.

Mel accompanied us to Hitsville USA and spent time chatting with most of us including Frances Nero and Dennis Coffey.

Following a lunch and entertainment from the Capitols and others at Memphis Smoke, Detroit, he was amazed at the response as we ended the afternoon with his epic song. We dropped Mel back at the services to be collected by taxi. His words 'I know I will never see you again, but thanks for everything' will stay with us forever.

Sheila Lazenby from Rotherham will be particularly upset, as she sat with him during the coach journey. Dave Raistrick, Donna Dean, Dave Moore, Dave Ferguson and Steve Gainey are amongst those who helped during the day and on their return.

yes ,sad to hear the passing of  mel,i did record him being picked up on the coach ,on our way to detroit ,also all the motown legends including francis nero,capitals,clay mccurray,carl carlton ,spyder turner,and endless other stars standing with us brits as mel stood in the middle of he floor with one hand on his walking stick ,and the the other hand clearing the tears away from his eyes, as we applauded him with a rounding ovation as she will coming running back was played out

memories i and all who was there will cherish for ever,

i have the recording somewere,perhaps kev you could post it up here as i gave you a copy of it

Mick H

Mel was discovered in his homestate of Indiana by Donny Hathaway. Following a short stint with The Visitors in 1969/70, Robert Lee signed him to FIP. In 1972 with Tom Washington whereby he recorded 'She'll Come Running Back'. A track discovered in 1974 by Ian Levine, who in turn must be credited for finding him in 1999 for his SWONS project.

My own memory of the man was during a brief chat on the coach, he mentioned his best friend was the late Wade Flemmons, who used to live closeby. I mentioned 'Jeanette' among others, with MB announcing he was at the recording session! Not only that, Jeanette(Hutchinson) of the Emotions was Wade's girlfriend.

Special times, special people, a VERY SPECIAL MAN.

Kev and Sam @ Goldsoul

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

quality record from a quality guy...met up with him in Chicago on the soul trip,  he got on our coach and he just could not believe the admiration we all had for him....r.i.p. Mel Britt... has any got a video of Mel Britt  in the Memphis Smoke in Detroit that day would love to see it....

Mick H took one & posted it for a time but someone made him remove it, something to do with copy right or some rubbish I was told. I also remember Mel when asked, by almost everyone, if he had any copies of SCRB, saying there was  one on a jukebox in the diner he use to own before he retired but I don't know if he was joking, how cool would that be to stumble in there & stick a dime in & play it. :thumbup:

Spot. :shades:

p.s. In the Memphis Smoke Diner none of the Motown Stars etc had any idea who Mel was & it was a delight to see their faces & the realization of the iconic status this man held on our scene, at the end even they cheered & applauded.

Edited by spot
Social source share

Another 'Ledgend' passes on.!  "She'll come running back" has allways been in my top 5 best ever Soul records (not just N.S.) & I stll have a copy of it which I've just played, & it still sounds as fresh as the day it was recorded.  My heartfelt sympathies go out to all Mels family & friends.  Mel Britt will be very sadly missed, but his legend will live forever.  Rest In Peace mel & keep an eye on us from up there.!

Ritchie.

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Is there any other records by mel out there ? as i've only heard the two on Fip

If so could a sound file be put on here.

The  you tube post was taken by the late Dave Pointon, has anybody got any other recordings of

that memorable moment

Cheers Jim.

Social source share

not wanting to split hairs on such a sad occasion but the ztsc number on this suggests she`ll come running back came out in 1969 before he joined the visitors. incidentally he didnt appear on the bashie/ dakar 45`s but is on the later dispo 45 and the twinight 45 erroniously credited to the mist

R. I. P melvin britt

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!