Anyone Know Who Runs This Site

https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/soul-music/popular-musical-genres

The level of misinformed hyperbole on here makes John Manship sound good.

here are a couple of snippets that made me smile - 

Who does not know The Bee Gees? This band gave birth to disco with their funky tunes that invaded the playlists of every nightclub in the world.

Yes of course, now I know where disco came from !!!!

Jimmy Thomas: Springtime : Spark : £200

Amazing Unknown 60s Stomper & Its UK Only - His Rarest 45 Will Be Huge In Northern Venues Already Massive In Europe

Not amazing!!! Not Unknown!!! Not a Stomper!!! Not his rarest!!! and trust me it will not be huge in Northern venues cos it is crap.

Long John Baldry — The Drifter

This GREAT Uk Singer Is Revered In Germany For The Talent He Is Its Time We Recognized It,

The late LJB is and has always been recognised as the Doyen of British R&B, He was a pioneer and was instrumental in the careers of many artists - Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jack Bruce, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones, Mick Jagger, Julie Driscoll - the list goes on. Perhaps it is just the writer of this drivel who has not recognised the great mans talent until now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Although talking about George Blackwell, found a nice copy of "Can't Lose My Head" amongst the smoke many centuries ago!!

Social source share

https://www.rarenorthernsoul.com/soul-music/popular-musical-genres

The level of misinformed hyperbole on here makes John Manship sound good.

here are a couple of snippets that made me smile - 

Who does not know The Bee Gees? This band gave birth to disco with their funky tunes that invaded the playlists of every nightclub in the world.

Yes of course, now I know where disco came from !!!!

Jimmy Thomas: Springtime : Spark : £200

Amazing Unknown 60s Stomper & Its UK Only - His Rarest 45 Will Be Huge In Northern Venues Already Massive In Europe

Not amazing!!! Not Unknown!!! Not a Stomper!!! Not his rarest!!! and trust me it will not be huge in Northern venues cos it is crap.

Long John Baldry — The Drifter

This GREAT Uk Singer Is Revered In Germany For The Talent He Is Its Time We Recognized It,

The late LJB is and has always been recognised as the Doyen of British R&B, He was a pioneer and was instrumental in the careers of many artists - Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jack Bruce, Charlie Watts, Brian Jones, Mick Jagger, Julie Driscoll - the list goes on. Perhaps it is just the writer of this drivel who has not recognised the great mans talent until now.

You could spend a day on there entertaining yourself. I especially like it when they refer to something as their old so-and-so cover up, always on UK label, despite me reviewing it uncovered ten years earlier.

No offence like...

Social source share

You could spend a day on there entertaining yourself. I especially like it when they refer to something as their old so-and-so cover up, always on UK label, despite me reviewing it uncovered ten years earlier.

No offence like...

i think its lee jeffies site he also sell some pretty good stuff at decent prices

Social source share

- POP

In 1984, the controversial band Frankie Goes to Hollywood invaded the British music industry with their songs. Their achievement then gave way to more acts including Wham! and Dead or Alive.

Finally, bands such as Journey, Aerosmith, and AC/DC introduced us to hard rock, which continues to be a huge hit to this day.

Not to be be picky, but both Wham & Dead or Alive would have had record deals before Frankie, surely? :g:

And the hard rock sentence is just silly.

Linky

Social source share

I am sure he is trying to transmit his useful knowledge to the virtual audience.

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld

There are things that we know we know

There are things that we think we know

There are things that we are not sure we know

There are things that we know we don’t know

There are things that we think we don’t know

There are things that we are not sure we don’t know

And then there are those who know f**k all and just make it up to suit themselves

• Helpful 2
Social source share

- POP

In 1984, the controversial band Frankie Goes to Hollywood invaded the British music industry with their songs. Their achievement then gave way to more acts including Wham! and Dead or Alive.

Finally, bands such as Journey, Aerosmith, and AC/DC introduced us to hard rock, which continues to be a huge hit to this day.

Not to be be picky, but both Wham & Dead or Alive would have had record deals before Frankie, surely? :g:

And the hard rock sentence is just silly.

Linky

I missed these gems - just brilliant - you couldn't make it up could you - oh yeah he did didn't he :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fact - Marc Almond invented Northern Soul.

When his classic self penned tune Tainted Love was mercilessly covered by Glam Rock queen Mrs Marc Bolan (nee Jones) he withdrew from the all nighter scene to concentrate on playing the pink oboe.

This must be true because someone who thought it was decided to write it down somewhere - and that is the power of the old tinternet. If it is out there somewhere it must be right,right!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

To directly answer your thread 'starter question'  - Anyone Know Who Runs This Site?

Yes :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

.......Just noticed, some ones named him - All I'll add, is that Lee is a good ol' boy - It obviously works for him, the site has been going a long time :yes: 

I enjoy reading 'exagerated' record descriptions, and think most are 'tongue in cheek' anyway.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

To directly answer your thread 'starter question'  - Anyone Know Who Runs This Site?

Yes :D

All the best,

.......Just noticed, some ones named him - All I'll add, is that Lee is a good ol' boy - It obviously works for him, the site has been going a long time :yes: 

I enjoy reading 'exagerated' record descriptions, and think most are 'tongue in cheek' anyway.

For Fook's sake someone tell his dad aka blaster bates, He might blow him up. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Crumbs Garry - That's a bit 'out there' - But I got it! :lol:

Yeah was a bit, He's not all bad, he did buy a Bell Boys orig in VG about 14 yrs ago for £40 from me.

And for those that diddent get it, Dad was the subject of a doccumentry blasting rocks in a quarry many years ago.

ATB Garry

Social source share

cheers fellas, although I might agree on that their prcies here and there might be a "bit" over the top and some description do indeed make a wonderful and entertaining read on a rainy afternoon at home ... I think whats happeing on here right now is what the youth these days calls a "shit storm"... dont think it will do their website and future business any good. So bearing in mind everybody does his job for a living and eveyrthing ever written and said on the internet stays on the net...this thread might better be stopped and deleted.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Social source share

"Original Version Or Certainly Inspiration To Larry Clintons "Wanted"

That's Bill Cosby's "Little Ole Man" he's talking about there...

I am beginning to get it now, he just puts any old bollix down no matter how unconnected to the record in question.

In this example you take a classic Motown inspired track out to Hollywood and get a comedian who cannot sing, round up the second best studio band in the world to perform the track - The Wrecking Crew  (obviously the Funks are number 1), bring in the best producer of 60's dance music - Fred Smith to supervise the session and you end up with the most remarkable novelty song ever pressed on vinyl. Oh yes and this becomes the inspriration for an obscenely rare Philly recording that was actually issued before Bill Cosby went into the studio. I guess the Harthon boys must have had a time m/c to go forward in time to get this inspiration.

Social source share

cheers fellas, although I might agree on that their prcies here and there might be a "bit" over the top and some description do indeed make a wonderful and entertaining read on a rainy afternoon at home ... I think whats happeing on here right now is what the youth these days calls a "shit storm"... dont think it will do their website and future business any good. So bearing in mind everybody does his job for a living and eveyrthing ever written and said on the internet stays on the net...this thread might better be stopped and deleted.

The problem is though, we are all quick to take people to task on ebay for overpricing records, in fact there's been a thread running for 2 years on here Comedy Sale Of The Day.  If I, personally, was selling records and putting these sort of prices on them I would expect someone to comment.  I should also add and this is no word of a lie, I remember offering them my remaining UK collection in 2009 which at the time included Chapter 5, Chubby Checker, Cajun Hart, and 200 others, and they offered me £500 for the lot.  Strike me down if I am lying.  I've no bones to pick with anyone, I do what I do, others do what others do, but crazy prices and claims are things that will always get talked about.  And I don't think anyone's being nasty about it.

Social source share

If they can withstand people taking the piss about their Northern Soul Burgers I'm sure this will be like water off a ducks back  :yes:

Social source share

Perhaps we should all remember the often quoted adage "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

I guess what I am getting at with this topic is - if you don't know what you are talking about shut the f**k up or you will seriously piss off the vast majority of anoraks out there who think they know what they are talking about. Obviously I include myself in this righteous (or should it be self-righteous) group of The Knowledgeable.

Social source share

on the actual points raised about closing/deleting thread

good points, but after a look at the posts don't feel such is needed just yet from a site view

there is a report feature, which as a member the site owner can use to pass on concerns ( if he does have any ) about any post

thanks

mike

Social source share

Sorry chaps, I've taken a valium and calmed down a bit now - Just looked at his Bill Cosby record - Looking at that beauty in all of it's UK demo glory - words are truly superfluous, you know "one picture is worth a thousand words" and all that. Didn't Levine write that one??? :D  :D  :D

:sleep3:  :sleep3: :sleep3:  

Social source share

on the actual points raised about closing/deleting thread

good points, but after a look at the posts don't feel such is needed just yet from a site view

there is a report feature, which as a member the site owner can use to pass on concerns ( if he does have any ) about any post

thanks

mike

Exactly so. There's no real malice here. More to the point,  if a website owner decides to publish their opinions about soul/Northern soul records, not just in the public domain, but with the clear intention of drawing attention to them - and I include prices and sales pitches here - then they should be completely prepared to have the same commented upon and even criticised on a soul music site such as this.

Edited by Godzilla
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Exactly so. There's no real malice here. More to the point,  if a website owner decides to publish their opinions about soul/Northern soul records, not just in the public domain, but with the clear intention of drawing attention to them - and I include prices and sales pitches here - then they should be completely prepared to have the same commented upon and even criticised on a soul music site such as this.

Very very well said.

by the way

If anyone would like to go to my website at www.raresoul.co.uk and take the mick out of my prices they are more than welcome, while you are there why not have a look around, I have the best selection of Jamaican 45's on the entire internet plus many very rare Northern Soul 45's, all available as buy it nows at very competitive prices.

see, any publicity is good publicity

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

If that's me Steve,its worth every penny of 400 quid. :lol: What was the record again.? 

Without wanting to contribute to the "shit storm" I'd just like to know how many records he actually sells at those prices and who buys them.

A mate bought a record a few years ago from a well know DJ for £80 and this guy had it on the site for £400 :huh:

Social source share

Very very well said.

by the way

If anyone would like to go to my website at www.raresoul.co.uk and take the mick out of my prices they are more than welcome, while you are there why not have a look around, I have the best selection of Jamaican 45's on the entire internet plus many very rare Northern Soul 45's, all available as buy it nows at very competitive prices.

...Yes, a very good site Pete........and I will be playing similar soul sounds that are for sale, in 'Lens Den' at Soul in The Bowl, Rushden on Sat April 13th - hope you all can make it :thumbsup: 

:D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Very very well said.

by the way

bloody hell, this made the whole thread worthwhile (if it wouldnt already have beeen anyway)..didnt even know you had a website beore you posted that link!

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!