Phyllis Hyman

Just heard 'You Know How To Love Me' on Kev Roberts Solar Radio.

Not heard the full 12" remix for years, what a timeless superb record this is from 79.

So I just wikipedia'd her career & was sad to learn she committed suicide.

Such a shame & what a great talent she was & she had worked with the best in her career, Gamble, Huff, Grover Washington Jr, Lonnie Liston Smith.

Such a sad shame her life ended that way.

AId.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There's great footage of Ms Hyman knocking around the 'net. She made a good living out of singing commercial jingles and radio fills as well as her recording career.  One of Philly's unsung heroines for sure.

Here's a slice of an interview she did :

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Great footage there Dave, 

What an absolute stunning beauty she was too.

When I read about her substance dependancy & the way her life ended I could almost weep.

Aid.

She struggled through most of her adult life Mate. Tragic really as Gamble and Huff almost rescued her from oblivion but human nature is what it is, I guess. She left some great music behind. Not just her discofied outings but she could sing it all. Some of her ballads are up with the very best.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why is this in freebasing?

Anyway, there is a superb (well I thought so) biography about Phyllis called Strength Of A Woman and gives a full and frank insight into her life and troubles.  Excellent read.  She was her own worst enemy at times but as Dave says she left some great music behind.

There used to be a website where you could buy it, the authors I think but I can't find it right now, could be out of print.  On amazon but almost £70!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strength-Woman-Phyllis-Hyman-Story/dp/0979489008

Social source share

Not heard the full 12" remix for years, what a timeless superb record this is from 79.

Such a shame & what a great talent she was & she had worked with the best in her career, Gamble, Huff, Grover Washington Jr, Lonnie Liston Smith.

AId.

I never realised that she took her own life either Aid, just looked it up in one of my books, sooooo sad  :(

There's great footage of Ms Hyman knocking around the 'net. She made a good living out of singing commercial jingles and radio fills as well as her recording career.  One of Philly's unsung heroines for sure.

Here's a slice of an interview she did :

Regards,

Dave

Brilliant footage Dave, she even makes a Burger King advert sound classy  :lol:    

her ' i refuse to be lonely ' is supberb

Cheers Toad, just cried listening to that  :(  I agree, it is superb  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why is this in freebasing?

Anyway, there is a superb (well I thought so) biography about Phyllis called Strength Of A Woman and gives a full and frank insight into her life and troubles.  Excellent read.  She was her own worst enemy at times but as Dave says she left some great music behind.

There used to be a website where you could buy it, the authors I think but I can't find it right now, could be out of print.  On amazon but almost £70!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Strength-Woman-Phyllis-Hyman-Story/dp/0979489008

.... cos Aid's a gloit :lol:

I say it should be moved to a more deserving place :thumbsup:   

Social source share

AId.

And she was gorgeous!!

Social source share

From what I remember reading Clive Davis at Arista records fully believed in her but she was headstrong and wouldn't take advice, wouldn't listen, always wanting to do things her way. I think in the end he gave up on her and the company put it's resources into Whitney Houston.  That was a big body blow to Phyllis.  I'll have to get the book out and re-read it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest martyn

One of my favourite singers. IMO one of the best tracks never to make it on the scene was 'Heavenly'. Played at the short lived Beford Nite Spot nighters in 1980 a couple of times - bombed, Should have been as big as YKHTLM

Social source share

One of my favourite singers. IMO one of the best tracks never to make it on the scene was 'Heavenly'. Played at the short lived Beford Nite Spot nighters in 1980 a couple of times - bombed, Should have been as big as YKHTLM

I love Heavenly :thumbsup:

Used to pester Adam to play it at Leicester and the like. Thanks for reminding me!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

She sure was Jordi.....

attachicon.gifMI0002748810.jpg               she was in men only ?  magazine topless. 79ish. true true.   seen it with my own eyes.

Playboy :thumbsup: - Phyllis had more class than a down market Paul Raymond publication like Men Only.  As did Vanessa Williams ! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bloodey ell  thought that was Terri Bryant  on vocals ????

Cheers Paul

Good point Paul. I don't know who's actually singing on that album, but Phyllis's autobiography and Wikipedia page both state she was definitely in the group, maybe just as a touring member. On listening to it again it could be her, but then again might be Terri Bryant too. 

Social source share

Guest martyn

I love Heavenly :thumbsup:

Used to pester Adam to play it at Leicester and the like. Thanks for reminding me!

Come to think of it Joan, it may have been Adam that played it at the Bedford nighters (?)...I know I used to hammer it at the local soul nights too.......A cracking sound whatever !!!! Glad Im not the only one to remember it

Social source share

Good point Paul. I don't know who's actually singing on that album, but Phyllis's autobiography and Wikipedia page both state she was definitely in the group, maybe just as a touring member. On listening to it again it could be her, but then again might be Terri Bryant too. 

Looks nothing like Phyliss on the LP cover, don"t think it sounds like her either but I've not listened to the LP for a while. So maybe a touring member

Cheers Paul

Social source share

yes but that was the bipolar talking for sure........

From what I remember reading Clive Davis at Arista records fully believed in her but she was headstrong and wouldn't take advice, wouldn't listen, always wanting to do things her way. I think in the end he gave up on her and the company put it's resources into Whitney Houston.  That was a big body blow to Phyllis.  I'll have to get the book out and re-read it.

Social source share

Maybe? She was highly insecure throughout her life and the only way she could over come this was to take control. Also drugs had a big say in her downfall so I think it was a mixture of things that led to her demise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

The Living All Alone lp is a classic , no interest to the northern fraternity though, but if you like your Soul slow and deep it comes highly recommended.

What you won't do for love,Old friend,If you want me,You just don't know love um  
Social source share

one of the classic symptoms of bipolar when your on a high is control, apparently you feel you could rule the world ,but when your on a low you want to leave the world.

Maybe? She was highly insecure throughout her life and the only way she could over come this was to take control. Also drugs had a big say in her downfall so I think it was a mixture of things that led to her demise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Stunning voice and a god like face,You Know How to love Me, Dont  Tell Me Tell Her.Let Somebody Love You ect awesome talent

On the spot as usual Mr Doonan, with Don't Tell Me, the No 1 closely followed by Baby I'm Gonna Love You, very closely followed by lots of others. Great voice, not a totally traditional soul voice, but she could hold a note and it was capital S for me. Her first LP on Buddah is still the one for me.

Haven't read her book yet as suspect it will be enthralling and disturbing in the way Divided Soul was, still get upset on reading that. Even though I have about 4 times. Maybe take this quiet weekend ahead for Phyllis music and book!

One aside is I remember her being advertised as singing at Edinburgh Cathedral, I suspect as part of Edinburgh jazz festival. I was gutted I missed it, did anyone see or remember this?

Social source share

Phyllis is definitely desevring of legendary status. Her Arista and PIR albums are brilliant examples of soul music, and stand up against just about any other female artists output. Her guest appearances alongside the likes of Lonnie Liston Smith, Norman Connors, McKoy Tyner etc also showed her versatility. A timeless voice.

To clear up the New Direction thing - she did tour with the group circa 1970/71 but that was after they had recorded the LP for Gamble & Huff's Neptune label. She then joined a group called PH factor before guesting with Norman Connors and recorded 45s for Desert Moon. Her 1st solo album was in 1977.

Here's an example of her perfect tones;

Edited by phillyDaveG
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!