Majjestees On Mutt - Re-Issue

Isn't this the recent número re issue? Darker green label, on vinyl, came with the 50 box set they put out last year...

M

Looks like it :yes:

Seems there were some other interesting things in that box set like Walter & Admirations, Two Plus Two.

Original Mutt is also on vinyl.

Anyone got one of these re-issue 45s please who can comment in more detail on the distinguishing features, including dead wax markings?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

well, ive just bought one, off the back of never having heard it before and, having investigated, viewed a genuine on jm im certainly not going to pay an arm and a leg when this reissue is completely legit. it is a good tune though and you can see why the mutt label has been in the spotlight just recently, some overlooked and underrated stuff on there as well as the jewell in the crown, dusty wilson.

Social source share

Think it should be noted that these re issues are allot thinner vinyl.... They resemble allot of the 8ts lookalikes, such as Kelly garrett on smash etc... But you notice the difference straight away, it's not original....

Allot of the Mutt releases were pressed at a certain pressing plant in the state, cant remember the name but i'll find it, they also pressed stuff on the Mag logo which all have a ridge about a centemeter from the centre... Two fellows was the same....

Carol jones and sophisticates are slightly different pressed, that's it they are Archer stamped... I need to check but I think certain releases are from a different plant, i may be wrong, but there is allot of info on the label in the book that came with the 50 box I mentioned above...

En route home so ill update this post later tonight...

Cheers all

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Allot of the Mutt releases were pressed at a certain pressing plant in the state, cant remember the name but i'll find it, they also pressed stuff on the Mag logo which all have a ridge about a centemeter from the centre... Two fellows was the same....

Rite?

Social source share

One has black vinyl and by the looks of it the re issue has brown vinyl ...... Bloody good lookalikee copies.

Hi B,have you seen the re-issue in the flesh?.I think Mal is right about the ridge around the centre hole.From the scans this seems to be missing from the Numero one.There is a different spelling of Majestees/Majjestees as well.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Hi B,have you seen the re-issue in the flesh?.I think Mal is right about the ridge around the centre hole.From the scans this seems to be missing from the Numero one.There is a different spelling of Majestees/Majjestees as well.

I can't see that, pretty sure they are both spelt with the double 'j' Majjestees....

Also, look closer, I think you'll see the re-issue has the ridge too.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

I can't see that, pretty sure they are both spelt with the double 'j' Majjestees....

Also, look closer, I think you'll see the re-issue has the ridge too.

There are two original releases of the Majjestees/Majestees.

One has the band name with two 'J's. The other only one 'J'.

I believe the correct group name is with one 'J' and that the original pressing run was a mistake with the two 'J's.

On this basis the correct-spelling version was the second batch, but I could be wrong - and I don't think it affects value or anything.

I have the version with two 'J's but I'm attaching a scan from a recent eBay sale with the single 'J'.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-32472500-1364844771_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest franky m

post-4395-0-17786100-1364848313_thumb.jp

this is the numero uno box set 45 , matrix   num45 z1b 18381 it was the only 45 in the box that was pressed off center and was warped.........

Social source share

That's it 'Rite' the Mag release I have has that in the dead wax, and is that Margaret Glover release 'this wil never do' same press as two fellows..dusty Wilson.

i've gleamed the following from the Eccentric Soul: Omnibus book; So Mutt was owned by Nate Dore, the Majestees was recorded in the summer of 1966, with Fred Bridges at the helm, the initial release sank as did all the Mutt 45's, but the Majestees got a repressing with the typo 'Majjestees'... The backing for these tracks came from La Beat, and were the LPT's....

Mal.C..

Social source share

Is that in the actual booklet with the box set Mal?

I found this from a google ...

#7. The Majestees (Highland Park, MI) - 'Take Back All Those Things/ Let Her Go' (1966): 
The Majestees entered the studio in the summer of 1966, a shade greener than a 7-Up bottle. The high school variety show celebrities of Highland Park, Michigan recorded "Take Back All Those Things," the band's first original, and "Let Her Go," a sugary dream created by Brothers of Soul's Fred Bridges and Robert Eaton during their brief residency at Inkster, Michigan's Mutt concern. The record was, like every other Mutt-labeled 45, doomed upon release, receiving paltry airplay and an egregious typographical miscrediting: "Majjestee's". The Vietnam draft would tear The Majestees apart in 1968, and give band member Angelo Bond fodder for his co-penned hit "Bring the Boys Home" as rendered by Freda Payne in 1971.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Is that in the actual booklet with the box set Mal?

I found this from a google ...

#7. The Majestees (Highland Park, MI) - 'Take Back All Those Things/ Let Her Go' (1966): 

The Majestees entered the studio in the summer of 1966, a shade greener than a 7-Up bottle. The high school variety show celebrities of Highland Park, Michigan recorded "Take Back All Those Things," the band's first original, and "Let Her Go," a sugary dream created by Brothers of Soul's Fred Bridges and Robert Eaton during their brief residency at Inkster, Michigan's Mutt concern. The record was, like every other Mutt-labeled 45, doomed upon release, receiving paltry airplay and an egregious typographical miscrediting: "Majjestee's". The Vietnam draft would tear The Majestees apart in 1968, and give band member Angelo Bond fodder for his co-penned hit "Bring the Boys Home" as rendered by Freda Payne in 1971.

Cheers

Richard

Richard... Here is the notes in the Numero box set booklet...

post-2848-0-53019200-1364922151_thumb.jp

Dave f........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!