Righteous Brothers

Guest uroffal

Souled Out LP on Verve - someone selling one on here for £8 the other day - superb album at least 4 great tracks including an old Stafford cover up 'It's Up To You'

Social source share

For me the cream Righteous Brothers track is "See That Girl" on the "Just Once In My Life" album. The title track of that is great too and is also a single. "Hung On You" is a classic too.

They're a funny old group. For years–until recently in fact–I never could get into them. Maybe because of the gargantuan success of "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"–but there are some absolute gems in their back catalogue. Just beautiful songs by some of the best songwriters of all time: Goffin & King, Mann & Weil etc. Beautiful arrangements on some of them too. The solo Bobby Hatfield single "Hang Ups" on Verve is great too. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the earlier Moonglow stuff. A lot of it was unreleased at the time and then trotted out once the Philles and Verve material became massively popular, by Atlantic/Atco who came to hold the rights and really should have had more taste than to do such a crass cash-in.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

While we're on the subject I may as well plug this site as a point of reference - https://www.pdrws.co.uk/

Compiled by Peter Richmond the site is a mine of information.  I'm sure Peter would also welcome any additional information anyone may have for inclusion.

The Moonglow label has been mentioned in the post above this and of course Bring Your Love To Me was released as a 45 on this label. Also there's the Some Blue Eyed Soul LP with a couple of good tracks one being their version of the classic Night Owl, which had a UK release as a B side on PYE and could be another 45 for consideration.

Slighty off topic there's a few interesting 45's among the Moonglow "5000 series", and Moonglows subsidiary PEP Records.  Best known I guess would be Bobby Mac - Keep On which saw an outing on Moonglow 5019 as well as the Original Sound OS-68 release, but also Sugar & Sweet on PEP 103, Lulu Porter on both Moonglow 243/ PEP 101.

Social source share

I'm a massive fan of The Righteous Brothers due my mother having the Lp You've lost that loving feeling and playing it all the time as a young kid. Years on I have every album and most of their singles, for me there best song is called "Stand By" check it out on you tube also a close second is "Hung on You" both are absolutely brilliant tunes.

Social source share

I'm a massive fan of The Righteous Brothers due my mother having the Lp You've lost that loving feeling and playing it all the time as a young kid. Years on I have every album and most of their singles, for me there best song is called "Stand By" check it out on you tube also a close second is "Hung on You" both are absolutely brilliant tunes.

Unbelievably, I did not know the Righteous brothers did this song, I know it by the female version, The Blossoms, which is one of the greatest records ever made (and is also produced by Bill Medley) - Paul this is fantastic, thanks for the tip, absolutely magnificent - but not quite as good The Blossoms version which is a barely mentioned cheapie...words just cannot do justice to this track or Darlene Love's vocal performance

Social source share

They made many superb records imo. See That Girl is great as Gareth says, playing it now as I type this. Early tracks by them like My Babe and Little Latin Lupe Lu were popular in the London Mod clubs, and of course they hit bigtime fame with Phil Spector. But their Bring Your Love To Me recorded earlier shows the way to You've Lost That Loving Feeling. It does depend if you like that style of powerful ballad, usually heartbreaking lyrics, just right for teenage angst. Soul And Inspiration was always my favourite, just played it, brought back some memories. The two songs mentioned in the thread, Stand By and Bobby Hatfield's Hang Ups are really good. Thanks to the posters for introducing me to them, always good to find new tracks to enjoy.

Edited by Geoff
Social source share

Unbelievably, I did not know the Righteous brothers did this song, I know it by the female version, The Blossoms, which is one of the greatest records ever made (and is also produced by Bill Medley) - Paul this is fantastic, thanks for the tip, absolutely magnificent - but not quite as good The Blossoms version which is a barely mentioned cheapie...words just cannot do justice to this track or Darlene Love's vocal performance

I have this record too, the other side is also a Righteous Bros track on Bell I think ? Is on the shelves somewhere. Check out the Hung on you it's fantastic, I watched years back portrait of a legend which featured them and Hung on You was the aside and some DJ played the beside by mistake a cover of Unchained Melody the station was mobbed and the rest is history. I'm sure that's what I remember but the old mind is not what it was. Haha Paul Kidd

Social source share

I have this record too, the other side is also a Righteous Bros track on Bell I think ? Is on the shelves somewhere. Check out the Hung on you it's fantastic, I watched years back portrait of a legend which featured them and Hung on You was the aside and some DJ played the beside by mistake a cover of Unchained Melody the station was mobbed and the rest is history. I'm sure that's what I remember but the old mind is not what it was. Haha Paul Kidd

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEvUb1kbLi8

The Righteous Brothers - Hung On You

Social source share

As stated above, pretty much all of their stuff is worth getting. However, having bought Little Latin Lupe Lu as a new release and still play it, that is for me my favourite. At the time it was just so different from anything else and you never heard it on the radio so I bought it blind going by my trusted method that names like Righteous Brothers, Jr Walker & All Stars etc would not be bland and British. It still sounds incredible, how they get from controlled to hysteria in just over 2 minutes. Then when I heard Lovin' Feeling for the first time, I was blown away. Cilla Black's 'version' was already out and climbing the charts but thankfully for once class told and the Bros had the bigger hit. The story of this song was on TV not long ago, 10 All Time Biggest Sellers (I think) and Cynthia Weil described the writing of the song and said that they took it to Phil Spector telling him that they were stuck for a 'bridge' between verses and Spector came up with the 'OhOh Whoah Woah'. Barry Mann was appalled apparently and didn't want such a trite phrase included in one of his songs but eventually went ahead with it, it became the hook for the song and the rest is history. Cynthia Weil said she thanks Phil Spector everynight for his intervention as it paid for the house she was now sitting in!

Social source share

As stated above, pretty much all of their stuff is worth getting. However, having bought Little Latin Lupe Lu as a new release and still play it, that is for me my favourite. At the time it was just so different from anything else and you never heard it on the radio so I bought it blind going by my trusted method that names like Righteous Brothers, Jr Walker & All Stars etc would not be bland and British. It still sounds incredible, how they get from controlled to hysteria in just over 2 minutes. Then when I heard Lovin' Feeling for the first time, I was blown away. Cilla Black's 'version' was already out and climbing the charts but thankfully for once class told and the Bros had the bigger hit. The story of this song was on TV not long ago, 10 All Time Biggest Sellers (I think) and Cynthia Weil described the writing of the song and said that they took it to Phil Spector telling him that they were stuck for a 'bridge' between verses and Spector came up with the 'OhOh Whoah Woah'. Barry Mann was appalled apparently and didn't want such a trite phrase included in one of his songs but eventually went ahead with it, it became the hook for the song and the rest is history. Cynthia Weil said she thanks Phil Spector everynight for his intervention as it paid for the house she was now sitting in!

Supposedly Andrew Loog Oldham was so taken aback with the record (YLTLF) when he first heard it, he put a full page ad in the Music Press stating it was the greatest record ever made and everyone should buy it immediately.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Supposedly Andrew Loog Oldham was so taken aback with the record (YLTLF) when he first heard it, he put a full page ad in the Music Press stating it was the greatest record ever made and everyone should buy it immediately.

That is correct. He was appalled that the British cover version was likely to be a bigger hit, just as Cilla Black had beaten Dionne Warwick with Anyone Who Had A Heart.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

I Don't Believe In Losing, Without You Be I'd Lost, Love Keeps Callin' My Name,

propa blue eyed soul imho

Edited by FrostyJak
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Someone mentioned "go ahead and cry" also "he will break your heart" but not heard them so i dunno......do you ?

Go ahead and cry is an awsome gut wrencher with massive building production. Pure soul, It's on youtube.

Garry

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!