dthedrug profile photo

Soul Source Record Club Groovin & A Crusin Into Summer

Audio Lists dthedrug

Posted

:hatsoff2: HI ALL A BIG UP TO ALL YOU SOULSTERS WHO HAVE KEPT THE FAITH WITH SOME GREAT TUNES, :thumbsup: THE SOULSOURCE RECORD CLUB IS YOUR CHANCE TO PLAY A SOUND TO EVERYONE ON THE SITE, THE RULE IS, IT IS YOUR FAVE RECORD OUT OF YOUR OWN COLLECTION, MUST BE OWNED BY YOURSELF ON VINAL, VALUE IS UNEMPORTANT AS THE VALUE IS TELLING PEOPLE WHY IT IS YOUR PICK OF THE DAY,

FOR EXAMPLE, IF TD VALANTINES "LOVE TRAP" THE RECORD YOU PICK, IT'S FINE AS WE CAN ALL RELATE TO IT, IF YOU HAVE JUST FOUND A NEW TUNE AND PLAYED IT 10 TIMES IN THE LAST HOUR, LET'S HAVE A LISTEN, IF YOU CAN LIMIT THE NUMBER OF TIMES THE SAME RECORD IS UPLOADED , JUST TO ADD A 4 WORD COMENT,

PLEASE DON'T, HOWEVER IF THERE IS A RECORD THAT TO MAKE A PIONT ABOUT, THATS COOL BY ME,

:)  :)  :) I AM KICKING THIS SUMMER A-GO GO THREAD OF WITH BILLY(FAT BOY)STEWART "SUMMERTIME" CHESS

A GREAT RECORD THAT HAS MANY COVER VERSIONS :g: ENJOY THE HEATWAVE IN 3 WEEKS TIME :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

http://youtu.be/CDLDl0_pt_k

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

BILLY STEWART-what have i done-Chess

Got to be my favourite cheap tune by him

And that unmistaken voice of Billy

Really does it justice for me

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

just got this at the radcliffe allniter so my fave tune to play at the moment...bobby angelle-living lie

http://youtu.be/qYMjF09_Tdc

dean

soul source url
Posted

and a close second as it dropped on my mat just as we were leaving for radcliffe..aalon butler-got to be something...i like em fast but might slow it down a bit when i play it at gogo children saturday!!

http://youtu.be/oqhdGmUQ0Go

dean

soul source url
Posted

Anything by Billy Stewart does it for me!

Some great value for money records!

Dave

soul source url
Posted

Heard this on a FB thread last week, and then picked up a copy for $4 on Hi. My preferred version of this.

Syl Johnson - Main Squeeze

Dave

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

and a close second as it dropped on my mat just as we were leaving for radcliffe..aalon butler-got to be something...i like em fast but might slow it down a bit when i play it at gogo children saturday!!

http://youtu.be/oqhdGmUQ0Go

dean

Dean

The flip of this is STUNNING!

gary

Edited by gazman

soul source url
Posted

I love the slightly naff production on this otherwise magic tune.

the Entertainers featuring Bobby Conerly - Po Boy - Ovide

gary

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Well it's miles away from summer here as it's still bloody freezing :yes:  

So a bit of up-tempo Motown might warm us up,a re-working of the classic Stevie Wonder hit "Uptight".

Due on the doormat any day now,paid a tenner for it & that includes postage so falls into the cheapie category I think  :thumbsup: 

The Supremes & The Temptations-Uptight TMG

soul source url
Posted

The Supremes & The Temptations-Uptight TMG

soul source url
Posted (edited)

billy carr / it's mad

capitol records demo , sounds like an old wigan sound , but i really don't know, goes along at a nice pace , off topic but doe's anyone else think he sounds like he's taking a dump at around 53 secs , sorry i'll get me coat.

Edited by gogger

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

HERE'S HOPING FOR A LONG HOT SUMMER LIKE 1976 

BIG IN CLEETHORPES I'M LED TO BELIEVE,  THE ISLEY BROTHERS  HARVEST FOR THE WORLD

post-2477-0-31404100-1364934492_thumb.jp

ATB KEV

soul source url
Posted

:hatsoff2: HI ALL, YOU NORTHERN LADS, STOP WINGING ABOUT THE WHEATHER, THE MONTH OF APRIL, YEARS AGO FOR BORSTAL BOYS, MEANT "SLO" (SHORT SLEEVE ORDER),FACT.  IN 1976 I LIVED ON A COMUNE, WE HAD TO WAIT ALL SUMMER FOR THE SPUDS TO GROW! :huh: GREAT YEAR, DID THE UK TOUR WITH KOOL & GANG :rofl:

So it's "UPTIGHT 'N' OUTSITE" this classic from the TORCH, is a must have for your collection, cheap to at £10, :wicked: enjoy DAVE K

http://youtu.be/mWmw7YnEq5w :ohmy:

soul source url
Posted

Heard a really shite, "new" version of this all-time classic on the radio yesterday. No idea who it was, as I didn't hang around to find out.

You've all got the original, so let's all play it next time out to remind the younger generation what real soul records should sound like!

Tyrone Davis - Turn back the hands of time

Dave

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My choice today is one for the anglers on SS they keep sayin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :huh:

Lamont Dozier - Fish ain't Bitin  A side  on US  ABC & UK also 

As i'm an X angler myself this is just right for today  :(

Fab 7ts tooooooooooooooooooooon & still very cheap for this DOUBLE HEADER imo  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Usual can u post 4 me ta  :thumbsup:

Cheers Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

Heard a really shite, "new" version of this all-time classic on the radio yesterday. No idea who it was, as I didn't hang around to find out.

You've all got the original, so let's all play it next time out to remind the younger generation what real soul records should sound like!

Tyrone Davis - Turn back the hands of time

Dave

Hi Dave

Mick Hucknal  :wicked:

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/DXnv71BRXU0

There you go Kev. A former favourite of mine too!

soul source url
Posted

http://youtu.be/DXnv71BRXU0

There you go Kev. A former favourite of mine too!

ta 4 the post Dave  :thumbsup:

atb Kev :hatsoff2:

soul source url
Posted

Eddie Levert at his best, from Ship Ahoy, also 45 , flip of "For the love of Money":

O'Jays - People Keep Telling Me :

soul source url
Posted (edited)

well you learn something new everyday..not really being a 70s soul fan i didnt know the ojays did ship ahoy but have known this version for years...another reggae cover of a soul tune..im guessing ojays were first ?...ship ahoy by the love children

http://youtu.be/_xYDETFjdOo

Edited by spacehopper

soul source url
Posted

Another "other version" from me today.Cover of the O.V Wright classic & if I dare say it a better version imo?I've played this out & don't usually bother speeding stuff up as I'm just normally happy to get the right side on but if you just give this a teak faster it makes a brill dancer?

Otis Clay - A Nickel And A Nail Echo

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

A 45 released out of Cleveland .

...... though I think that connection came via Warren Lanier as the artist Little Charles (Chuck Armstrong) ain't from gudol Clevelandtown ....

"Too Much Pride" ........ on Gemini ........

soul source url
Posted

Little Charles "Too Much Pride " .......

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Another "other version" from me today.Cover of the O.V Wright classic & if I dare say it a better version imo?I've played this out & don't usually bother speeding stuff up as I'm just normally happy to get the right side on but if you just give this a teak faster it makes a brill dancer?

Fantstic toooooooooooooooon imo no need to tweak up  :thumbsup:

i've got this Play it on the GREEN LIGHT m8 it's better   :g:

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

A 45 released out of Cleveland .

...... though I think that connection came via Warren Lanier as the artist Little Charles (Chuck Armstrong) ain't from gudol Clevelandtown ....

"Too Much Pride" ........ on Gemini ........

John

This dunarf sound like Sam & Dave in parts,nice,very nice :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted (edited)

One I couldn't find on You Tube,not sure why as it's not rare or that unknown?It's from Edward 'Little Buster' Forehand who had a few releases on Jubilee & Josie.Always think his tunes sound earlier then when they where actually made (mid-late 60t's).

Little Buster - T C B Jubilee

For some reason the "Sound Cloud" player doesn't appear?You need to click the "Listen On Sound Cloud" link to hear it,sorry.

Edited by hullsoul

soul source url
Posted (edited)

One I couldn't find on You Tube,not sure why as it's not rare or that unknown?It's from Edward 'Little Buster' Forehand who had a few releases on Jubilee & Josie.Always think his tunes sound earlier then when they where actually made (mid-late 60t's).

Little Buster - T C B Jubilee

For some reason the "Sound Cloud" player doesn't appear?You need to click the "Listen On Sound Cloud" link to hear it,sorry.

Ay up Martyn

This is a toooooooooooooooooooooooon ready to go BIG imo  :thumbup: i've got 1  :D m8

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

Ay up Martyn

This is a toooooooooooooooooooooooon ready to go BIG imo  :thumbup: i've got 1  :D m8

Kev

Agree matey it's a cracker,will never go big tho'..........it's too cheap :wicked:

Got another great one by him..........I Got A Good Thing Going Jubilee.........probably a better dancer the T.C.B?

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Kev

Agree matey it's a cracker,will never go big tho'..........it's too cheap :wicked:

Got another great one by him..........I Got A Good Thing Going Jubilee.........probably a better dancer the T.C.B?

Cheers

Martyn

Nothing stays CHEAP forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :rofl:  :P  :shhh: m8

just been on You Tube  TCB is better IMHO  :g:

Kev  :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John

soul source url
Posted

Marion Javius - Waiting in the wings (Encore Records) long time fav of mine n just bagged 1

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Marion Javius - Waiting in the wings (Encore Records) long time fav of mine n just bagged 1

Andy

New to me but hit the spot straight away :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Nice funky edge to it.....and cheap as chips

Gene Faith - My baby's missing - Virtue

gary

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

Any of you guys coming to Yarmouth this weekend?

Dave

soul source url
Posted

Dave

Sorry Dave washin me hair this weekend  c u on the 19th @ The Barn  :D

soul source url
Posted

Dave

Dave

One of my mates is going but it's York for me this weekend,have a good un :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

archie bell and the drells / tighten up

atlantic records , big usa chart sound , but i always feel better when i hear it

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted

archie bell and the drells / tighten up

atlantic records , big usa chart sound , but i always feel better when i hear it

Gogger

How strange?I nearly bought this the other day :lol:

Many versions & this is as good as any............is this the original version?????

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Gogger

Many versions & this is as good as any............is this the original version?????

Cheers

Martyn

martyn do you mean by archie bell or other artists , never heard another version of this , i will investigate  :g:

acording to the gospel wickipedia , it was recorded  while the group was signed to the ovide label in 1967 , was a big local hit in housten before being released on atlantic in 1968 , but it looks like this is the original version of the song.more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bell_%26_the_Drells  :thumbsup:  , wonder if the ovide copys are rare , thats if there where any , maybe should start another thread on this.

Edited by gogger

soul source url
Posted

martyn do you mean by archie bell or other artists , never heard another version of this , i will investigate  :g:

acording to the gospel wickipedia , it was recorded  while the group was signed to the ovide label in 1967 , was a big local hit in housten before being released on atlantic in 1968 , but it looks like this is the original version of the song.more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bell_%26_the_Drells  :thumbsup:  , wonder if the ovide copys are rare , thats if there where any , maybe should start another thread on this.

Gogger

I meant there's lots that have used a variation of it.........Frankie Cocker,Willie & The Mighty Magnificents,T.S.U. Toronadoes etc. to name a few.Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

soul source url
Posted

Gogger

Cheers

Martyn

Tighten Up is a tune, but "dog eat dog" , the self composed flip of the original release is the tune.

Tighten Up was released at least three times in the UK , however only the UK first issue in 1968 has "dog" as the flip.

Super Texas soul, Great club tune, easily overlooked:

soul source url
Guest profile photo