John Manships Auction Results 3-4-2013

7898sm.jpg
Gwen Owens Just Say You're Wanted (and Needed) C/w Still True To You

VELGO - SI-C10003-A SOUND INC. 344

In short, simply the finest condition copy of this 45 on Planet Earth.

A Premiership Northern Soul trophy piece of huge repute.

For those who seek PERFECTION of the impossible Northern Soul classic 45s …this is THE LAST WORD

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 5,624.00

7894sm.jpg
Mel Williams Burn, Baby, Burn

This versatile Los Angeles Soul man’s finest Northern Soul offering!

Completely elusive real-deal classic style stomper that climbs on an inferno of horns, girls and tricky guitar, then a wall string fuel the fire for dancefloor destruction!

WOW! I’ve always loved this record that has only suffered from it’s own extreme rarity from becoming a timeless monster.

Imagine this at full volume at 1am in Prestatyn’s main-room.. the place would have turned into a fireball of appreciation. Especially after the 5th play of Sam & Kitty..

My feelings are if you want something detonate a dancefloor it doesn’t have to be a tired overplayed obvious oldie - but it does have to have that magic ingredient to stir the crowd - BURN BABY BURN has it by the bucket full..

The winning bid was £ 812.00

7895sm.jpg
Hollidays I Lost You C/w Easy Living

If you seek value for money whilst trying to acquire the finer end of Northern Soul there are quite a few rarities that carry not one but two equally sophisticated sides.

This 45 has been a resident in my seldom-used DJ for over a decade, because it is drenched is class no matter which side you drop the needle on.

Checkout the awe-inspiring tunes this listing is about to hit you with.

Topside is an irresistible Detroit dancer written and produced by brief Hollidays member, the inimitable Tony Hester and sung by Steve Mancha. The session showcases Detroit horns, a Mike Terry baritone sax with timely prompting for the poignant lyrics, as Steve M. portrays his tribulation and regret so convincingly.

THIS IS PERFECT DETROIT NORTHERN SOUL

Flip it over, it’s a different style but every note as good; with the one and only Jack Ashford writing and producing as ever, stimulating-soul-excellence aided by Lorraine Chandler. Steve’s gravel-coated lead-vocal delivers a monumental performance, fully supported this time by some silky-smooth teammates - who turn the session into utterly awesome vocal-group Northern Soul!

Why this record wasn’t directly credited to Steve Mancha is allegedly due to Steve Mancha not liking either side, so giving the honor to an incorrectly spelled “Hollidays” …that can’t be true..can it?

The winning bid was £ 713.00

7909sm.jpg

Timeless Legend I Was Born To Love You Part 1 & 2

Columbus, Ohio soul that just skewers them to the dancefloor!

Horns by the plenty, shrill vocals, key changes that meet every requirement for the practiced dancer to flaunt-fast-footwork to matchless 80s soulful dance. It that wasn’t enough the recording boasts a spectacular sax break to end all 80s saxophone moments.

Note: this totally seductive disc has the labels FULLY present near everyone of the few I’ve encountered have had the label address of Columbus, Ohio butchered from sight.

This copy is a clean MINT - in every respect.

The winning bid was £ 476.00

Social source share

7893sm.jpg
Jackie Russell If You Don't Want Me (let Me Be) C/w Don't Trade Love For Money

Just check out that label - with the handwritten logo SOUL KITCHEN - label art don’t come much more engaging than this.

But this street-level 60s rarity is so much more than a captivating view. Top side is pulsating horn-saturated Northern Soul dancer with the mysterious Jackie Russell wringing out every ounce of frustration from the lyrics before an almighty horn break lifts this session to heights of greatness.

Why the hell this 45 has only bubbled away in conversations of rare pieces and not been an automatic choice for up-front rare soul turntables is puzzling. It has everything required for a sharp rise in demand and value if it was only heard!

Plus Deep Soul fans will be impressed with Jackie has he takes the pace down and spills his heart onto the floor on the flipside.

The winning bid was £ 336.00

7900sm.jpg
Barbara Lynn The Barbara Lynn Story

Insanely RARE 1967 UK SUE release!

14 track testament to this Texan’s writing, singing and guitar skills covering her years with Huey P. Meaux and material released on Jamie Records. We lifted a small sample of sounds to highlight this Sisters unique vocal-delivery. Check out her ease with R&B dance and Deep Soul ballads which includes her non-45 rendition of Barrett Strong’s “Money” a gritty gal R&B shaker.

1. Oh baby (we got a good thing going)
  2. You’ll lose a good thing
  3. Don’t spread it around
  4. Money
  5. All I Need Is Your Love with 9 equally enthralling other cuts to consider.

Bonus is Soul City’s entrepreneur Dave Godin’s informative sleeve notes, as always are way ahead in style and knowledge.

Vinyl is awesome - Mint - Labels are both MINT, retains original inner sleeve, front and back cover are free of any writing, tears, stains or splits. Scrutinized the scan which will reveal only light age “browning” in a few areas of this delicately lilac non-laminated front cover. Back cover is flawless,

Album aficionados will know this is a chance not to miss to own one of Britain’s most-coveted LP’s.

The winning bid was £ 333.00

7901sm.jpg
Vibrations New Vibrations

One of the highlights of my life and maybe many others was being able to gawk in amazement as these guys taking Prestatyn Weekender by the throat; Shaking it to it’s foundations, as their jaw-dropping act mesmerized the shoulder to shoulder thousands in the main hall.

Before you today as a memento of March 9th. 2013, is their 3rd of 4 Okeh album releases as a sought-after PROMO in dream condition.

VINYL is MINT LABELS are MINT COVER is Mint - sporting a perfectly “tapered” design spine. Front and back cover are flawless just minor signs of human contact can be detected by a critical eye.

You will not find a finer PROMO copy - and you won’t witness a more energetic gathering of guys doing their thing than the VIBRATIONS live - they were just overwhelming!

The winning bid was £ 60.00

7896sm.jpg

John Woodson Before

Soulful Crossover fans here’s a 45 that we’ve never listed before and know of no other DJ/ Collectors who has a copy.

A rap intro is followed by a soaring vocal cradled by string and a purring horn work..background kettle-drums build this atmospheric up and up as this most-soulful session progresses.

If you seek the completely RARE. This Los Angeles late 60s Northern Soul stroller gives you that and more. The driving force behind PAM-O RECORDS (The Perfections etc.) Johnny Woodson writes, arranges & produces this beauty, that was most likely withdrawn or never never put on sale, as amazing the last note on the recording is the studio door slamming shut, so maybe Johnny was not too proud of his editing?

For whatever reason this 45 is insanely RARE!

A primitively sumptuous tune that will creep under your skin, and your friends skin too because he just ain’t gonna own a copy!

The winning bid was £ 211.00

Social source share

7908sm.jpg
Homer Banks A Lot Of Love C/w Fighting To Win

Doogle Muse - WHO?

You might well ask, but Dougle to the Melton Mowbray teenager in 1968 was “God of the Disco” he played SOUL spinning discs we’d never heard of before. “A Lot Of Love” was a Kirby Lane Youth Club top-choice that gave relief after a hard week of smoking in the Bike-Sheds, chasing Patricia Durrance around the desks, followed by beating up Forest fans during dinner break.

We thought he was “God” but he was playing it from the 1968 UK Minit re-issue with “60 Minutes Of Your Love” on the flip that we thought was also a “Doogle-exclusive”

Years later you look back on these episodes of your teenage life and realize just how sheltered we were from the real world of record collecting.

Before you today is a flawless 1966 FIRST ISSUE DEMO of Homer’s timeless club-masterpiece that would have rocked places a little better connected than our Friday-world of “Kirby Lane Youth Club”. The Nite Owl - Leicester, Twisted Wheel - Manchester, Mojo - Sheffield and most every Soho Club had rattled to the momentum of Memphis at least two years earlier.

Click the sound, it will catapult you back in time, to wherever you cut your “Soul-Teeth” at, as every small town in the UK had it’s own “Doogle Muse the Disco-God” being “hip”, desperately trying to keep up with the trends of the Big City Soul clubs.

This 1966 history-charged rarity is in eye-popping condition.

The winning bid was £ 83.00

7903sm.jpg
Jesse Fisher Honey C/w I Can't Stop Loving You

Just one year before the disco-explosion a Cleveland joining of forces crafted two killer soul recordings that were supposed to be the stepping-stone to a Jesse Fisher Album that never happened.

Primarily Dunn Pearson, Harry Dempsey, Lyman Moffatt & Floyd Fleshman crafted two sessions that sadly proved fruitless despite using full orchestra and backing vocals to compliment Jesse’s seamless vocal.

Check the top side a superb soulful dance tune that has graced the decks at “Just Soul” “Soul Essence” “The Orwell” for decades but sadly never crossed over to the Northern Soul masses - even though it is absolutely perfect to do so. Another case of rarity standing in the way of progress?

Flip it over - and be prepared for a heavy mood change as Jesse get’s down and serious with love 

The winning bid was £ 166.00

7897sm.jpg

Major Lance You Don't Want Me No More C/w Wait Til I Get You In My Arms

Original first press STOCK copy of a classic that needs no words from me or anyone else, it’s a NS Anthem of the highest order.

This is a Golden Torch theme tune that nailed any and all who heard it in 1972 to a lifetime of Northern Soul, with those of you lucky enough to have witnessed his life performance at the “Torch” December 9th. 1972, consider it the greatest “Soul” experience of their lives.

The one and only “Major” at his most vibrant!

The winning bid was £ 376.00

Social source share

7902sm.jpg
Bob & Earl Don't Ever Leave Me C/w Fancy Free

SUE # 374 was Chris Blackwell & Guy Stevens biggest success whilst making available the weird and wonderful R&B from the USA. “Harlem Shuffle” of course rose to be the Bi-word for a MOD soulful get together.

Unfortunately successful sales for SUE release were few and far between, following “Harlem Shuffle” came two other Bob & Earl dance tunes, both of which fell on stoney ground to later become very hard to acquire number in the series.

This 1967 press the last of the three releases started life 5 years earlier USA Tempe release. A gritty grinding Soul-Stroller with bags of attitude and energy. Flip it over and the pace picks up and offers another great transitional Soul dancer.

Robert Relf & Earl Nelson may never have reached the heights of Sam & Dave but they did contribute more as a duo & solo artist than another other duo I can think of.

Interesting maybe, but the main point here is; find a flawless copy of SUE 4030 if you can.. an essential number in the UK most-wanted label and it’s pristine!

The winning bid was £ 140.00

7910sm.jpg
Blues & Soul No. 6 November 1968

Special Edition which includes the Reader’s Poll results for Soul recordings and artists for 1967. Now 45 years old and looks like it’s has just come through the post - MINT!

Not even the merest crease to spoil the view of this RARE issue # 6 with the “Motown Break-Out!” advert on the back page.

also includes: Bio on Barbara Mason In the spotlight - Al Greene inc: artist pic Wilson Pickett bio inc: artist pic USA Top 50 Soul city top 20 The New Platters - bio inc: artist pic SKA page - bio of Pyramids inc: artist pic SKA style review new releases The BELL RECORDS story Bell Albums page + advert Island Records - Soul Album advert Troy Keyes - bio inc: artist pic Latest Soul 45 release reviews. Which includes worst record of the month - Tyrone Davis on Stateside. Now we know why that killer tune is so rare! nobody bought it.

Condition is jaw-dropping, information is vital to all who enjoys a look into our past.

The winning bid was £ 36.00

7899sm.jpg

Maurice Williams Being Without You

Another, in a bunch of recent acquisitions from over the Pond that have yet to meet a Northern Soul turntable.

Maurice is one of the biggest revival Northern Soul oldies of the moment!

And this New Orleans born stomper is in PERFECT flawless condition!

Avoiding Northern Soul all it’s life so far - we doubt you’ll ever see a finer condition copy!

The winning bid was £ 199.00

Social source share

This must be the top price paid ever for the Hollidays on Groove City

£ 713.00  :ohmy:

It is however a pretty rare record and a great double-sider - and 'I Lost You' is one of the best records ever to be recorded in Detroit.

Richard

£275 last one I sold..ho hum

Social source share

£275 last one I sold..ho hum

I reckon it's rarer than we sometimes think - especially in good condition.

I would put this at £350 minimum - if I was selling one I would want at least £400, if not £500, for it.

[ sorry - based on today's results £700  :D  ]

Highest price on Popsike is Richard Pack's copy from 2007 at USD $777.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=groove+city+hollidays&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Madness I must say

I have no issue with JM, he is in business to sell records and obviously getting the best price is good for him

BUT, i cant help thinking that these crazy prices are just narrowing the market to those with money to throw around

I know we must move with the times and in hindsight the prices we were paying years ago for some stuff was probably too cheap in some cases, however, I do think its gone to the opposite end of the spectrum now and in some cases it's just stupid

Shame really

Only my opinion

Jim

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I reckon it's rarer than we sometimes think - especially in good condition.

I would put this at £350 minimum - if I was selling one I would want at least £400, if not £500, for it.

[ sorry - based on today's results £700  :D  ]

Highest price on Popsike is Richard Pack's copy from 2007 at USD $777.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=groove+city+hollidays&incldescr=&sortord=dprice&thumbs=&currsel=

Richard

It is a masterpiece of a record

Social source share

Given his penchant for bulling up all his auction items to the max I think JM missed a trick with the John Woodson 45 as the B side, Chilly Willy, is a nice little upbeat tune.....probably not how John would have described it in his sales blurb.

I'd dispute his reason for the 45's scarcity however as, despite the poor editing the song was released again, without being remixed or any alteration, as a B side on PAM-O 104 in Canada.

Social source share

Guest giant

MY CONCLUSION on this weeks auction are in reverse order : -

3 : There are a lot of people with money to throw away .

2 : There are a lot of people with no knowledge about what they are bidding / buying .

1 : There are a lot of people with lots of money and knowledge BUT unfortunately got. . S. F . B . SYNDROME.................

..........SHIT FOR BRAINS

Let them get on with it !

spot on mate ,i can't believe the price of Mel  Williams, Gwen Owens and the Holidays, its absolutely  madness.

Social source share

spot on mate ,i can't believe the price of Mel  Williams, Gwen Owens and the Holidays, its absolutely  madness.

Dont think the mel williams was over priced, seen one in less good condition for less but a minter usually fetches 800 GBP. Having said that, you dont see it very often, esp. not in mint minus cond. Holidays came a surprise, would have thought 500 GP tops.  

Social source share

I'm amazed at the the copy of B&S drew.

I've got virtually every copy from '68 to '81 and apart from a few early 70's issues that the centre poster has been removed and no doubt stuck on someones wall, in excellent condition.

Do the older, 60's and 70's copies generally command this kind of price?

Social source share

Just quick story that I think sums up the situation with some auction prices. A couple of years ago I was spinning a particular record, when a guy jumped up on the stage. He looked at it and said he had a copy of it, and told me what he had paid for it. I told him that my near mint copy had been only half his price. 'Ah yes', he said, 'but I bought mine from Manship.' With that he stuck his nose in the air and pranced off. I have no issue with John Manship, he's a legitmate dealer, and good luck to him, but he does attract from very strange customers. Edited by John Moffatt
Social source share

Guest The Record Box

I think when bidding on a record can be like playing a one armed bandit machine, the thought of not winning so I will go mad and put more on it.

Social source share

Just  quick story that I think sums up the situation with some auction prices. A couple of years ago I was spinning a particular record, when a guy jumped up on the stage. He looked at it and said he had a copy of it, and told me what he had paid for it. I told him that my near mint copy had been only half his price. 'Ah yes', he said, 'but I bought mine from Manship.' With that he stuck his nose in the air and pranced off. I have no issue with John Manship, he's a legitmate dealer, and good luck to him, but he does attract from very strange customers.

Probably been on the scene for 6 months...thick, rich tw*t

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Sounds like this guy drives a wacking big BMW too!!

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Always a pleasure to jarp these type of people.

Social source share

Dont think the mel williams was over priced, seen one in less good condition for less but a minter usually fetches 800 GBP. Having said that, you dont see it very often, esp. not in mint minus cond. Holidays came a surprise, would have thought 500 GP tops.  

I old agree with 800 ish for a Mel Williams, great record but never really worked on the dance floors and 4/500 for Holidays. Thought it had always been around £400 for a good few years now.

Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Obtaining "kudos" for buying records comes when you find them CHEAP, not when you pay double the asking price.  You brag about paying half the going rate, not double the going rate.  That guy is a tool.

Find out who this Rodney is pete, then you can palm off some of your gems, be careful not to laugh as you take the cash.

Social source share

Find out who this Rodney is pete, then you can palm off some of your gems, be careful not to laugh as you take the cash.

Must be Rodney off " fools and horses" remembering they sold " The lesser watch " for a load of dosh ..........ah it's becoming a little clearer now . Probably got one hell of a collection .

Edited by pumpkinseed
Social source share

Guest The Record Box

Must be Rodney off " fool and horses" remembering they sold " The lesser watch " for a load of dosh ..........ah it's becoming a little clearer now . Probably got one hell of a collection .

Must be one of these cretins that owns a black credit card.

Social source share

Guest east rob

Not bad?  Surely the highest price ever for that record.

not according to popsike pete. just checked it for major lance, that goes for more than I thought!  ( or more than I'd like to pay) :)

Edited by east rob
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest I have seen on eBay for the Hollidays which went for £399.07 - OK call it £400  :yes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOLLIDAYS-easy-living-i-lost-you-GROOVE-CITY-northern-soul-45-RARE-Listen-/221218283339?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=k%252FzkbepLk2F9aQqeEQSyrG2HaT0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

VG-

(shiny, plays much better)

wol 

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-36427300-1367442635_thumb.j

post-12286-0-10652600-1367442642_thumb.j

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest Seagrave

someone please sell me that timeless legend clean for 500 pounds. it would be in my collection and DJ box.

Did you not fancy a crack at it when it was up for auction?

Social source share

Who's Joe Torquay? It's Joe from Torquay! And I'm not trying to be a smartarse. He now lives nr Wrexham & Joe Dunlop. His ebay ID is amymalabell and his auctions are usually wellwortha look.

BY THE WAY MY EBAY ID IS ALICEMOORE,

AMYMALABELL IS THE START OF MY EMAIL ADDRESS

JOE DUNLOP LIVES ABOUT 2 MILES UP THE ROAD FROM ME.

SLIM HARPO LIVES UP THE COAST NEAR CONWY AND HE SELLS SOME NICE RECORDS ON EBAY AND SOUL SOURCE FROM TIME TO TIME. HE'S GOT THE ONE THING I WISH I HAD BESIDES MONEY ( A MEMORY THAT WORKS ) MINE'S USELESS, WHICH IS A SERIOUS HANDICAP FOR A RECORD COLLECTOR, I HAVE TO HAVE A LOT OF LISTS

JOE.

PS,

I HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH JOHN MANSHIP OR ANYONE ELSE WHO SELLS RECORDS FOR A LIVING OR HOBBY FOR THAT MATTER, ALTHOUGH I MIGHT KNOW ONE OR TWO OF THEM WHO LIVE NEAR ME.

I ONLY PUT THE J M  AUCTION PRICES UP FOR A COUPLE OF FRIENDS WHO DON'T HAVE PC'S ( YES THERE'S STILL PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO HAVE NO INTEREST IN SUCH THINGS )

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I ONLY PUT THE J M  AUCTION PRICES UP FOR A COUPLE OF FRIENDS WHO DON'T HAVE PC'S ( YES THERE'S STILL PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO HAVE NO INTEREST IN SUCH THINGS )

Joe, not that I'm bothered or anything, I'm just fascinated to know how they read them on here if they haven't got pc's  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Maybe they have smart phones - but then they could get at the auction site using those  :g: 

They must go round to Joe's to look at them on his computer a few days after, when John has taken the results off his own website!

Is that it Joe?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

HI, ONE OF THE FRIENDS I SEND THEM TOO GOES TO THE LIBRARY 3 OR 4 TIMES A WEEK, I GUESS THE OTHER ONE DOES AS WELL UNLESS HE GOES TO RELATIVE OR FRIEND OF SOME SORT.

HE HASEN'T GOT A MOBILE PHONE EITHER, CAN'T BE BOTHERED WITH TECHNOLOGY

JOE.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI, ONE OF THE FRIENDS I SEND THEM TOO GOES TO THE LIBRARY 3 OR 4 TIMES A WEEK, I GUESS THE OTHER ONE DOES AS WELL UNLESS HE GOES TO RELATIVE OR FRIEND OF SOME SORT.

JOE.

I wish more folk were like that - we get tied to technology these days

Social source share

JOE.

I know who you mean Joe, BUT despite being a technophobe he does have a fantastic record collection!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!