Northern Soul Venues / Dj Opportunities In The Preston Area

Hello,

I’m looking to organise a Northern night in the Preston area and was wondering whether anyone could give me some general advice/suggestions of centrally located intimate venues (smallish) or if you know of any pubs/clubs that are looking for DJ’s to start a regular night. I’m in my 30’s and my friend, who’ll be involved, is in his 20’s so the stuff we play is generally up-tempo dancers and in demand Northern and R&B. We know that there are currently a few nights running in Preston, which we are not aiming to compete against, we just want to organise a nice, small night with quality northern that people can enjoy. This type of event is definitely working in Manchester (Black Bee and different strokes), so we’d just like to bring a little of that to Preston.

Cheers in advance.

Social source share

think you need to checkout whats going on over a month first...you have greenlands...preston grasshoppers...prestons got soul at 53 degrees......a few events in nearby chorley...the mill in croston and also campbells ..also have to think will people travel to a event that clashes with a regular event they go too...not sure we need more events, too many now and a lot of events now struggling........

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hello,

I’m looking to organise a Northern night in the Preston area and was wondering whether anyone could give me some general advice/suggestions of centrally located intimate venues (smallish) or if you know of any pubs/clubs that are looking for DJ’s to start a regular night. I’m in my 30’s and my friend, who’ll be involved, is in his 20’s so the stuff we play is generally up-tempo dancers and in demand Northern and R&B. We know that there are currently a few nights running in Preston, which we are not aiming to compete against, we just want to organise a nice, small night with quality northern that people can enjoy. This type of event is definitely working in Manchester (Black Bee and different strokes), so we’d just like to bring a little of that to Preston.

Cheers in advance.

A C C R I N G T O N  ?   - Great place would be " Poplar club" - Great dancefloor - Stage - Cheap drinks - car parking - I visit the majority of the do,s in Preston - Different venue every Friday - If you look at the number of events on "Local events " - there will probably always going to be a clash - depite the organisers attempts to avoid it - If you get time well worth a visit to the "Pop Club" . 

Some words of wisdom :

If your every asked to play a record - Be honest - If you havent got it - Say so - Dont ever be tempted to suggest "Its in my other box "

Still manages to make me smile - Shoe shop mentality -Size 10 in this style please - Sorry we only have them in a 7 - "Cut the fronts off shall I .

Make sure your entrance fee is " Reasonable - People will travel/Drink & enjoy a good night out - But nobody likes being fleeced ! 

Win the crowd - If the dance floors empty - Its a messgae - Dont play the entire track ! - Your in charge

so only my opinion

See you at the first one - Let us all know Where /When etc

GOOD LUCK ",)

Edited by ninja
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Cheers for the feedback. Yes, I'm totally aware of the local nights but I'm not looking to follow the same format. If its central with a smaller venue, hopefully along with some diehards we will introduce the music to young or new listeners. Maybe finding a pub with low overheads and zero entrance fee is the answer.

Cheers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

we will introduce the music to young or new listeners. Maybe finding a pub with low overheads and zero entrance fee is the answer.

Cheers

One of the ongoing themes of the scene is the debate around ... too many events, too many venues, too many promoters, too much going on (of not great quality) and too many DJs  :dash2: 

That said, introducing the music to young or new listeners is an admirable aim.

If that is what you are really aiming to do, then that will maybe set you apart from the 'too many events, promoters, DJs' issues - and I say go for it.

The key thing will be to be very clear on what makes you different and why you are not just 'more of the same' - and I would suggest if you want to introduce new/young listeners, then your choice of venue should be driven mainly by that - so check your venue demographics and you will probably end up with a reasonably short list of possible places (when you add in the other things you need from a venue to make it a decent night).

Sound like you are looking to find groups of people (potential/latent soulies) that happen to use a venue, rather than the right venue per se - and that will point you in the right direction.

I'm rambling now  :lol:  Hope it helps anyway.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

A C C R I N G T O N  ?   - Great place would be " Poplar club" - Great dancefloor - Stage - Cheap drinks - car parking - I visit the majority of the do,s in Preston - Different venue every Friday - If you look at the number of events on "Local events " - there will probably always going to be a clash - depite the organisers attempts to avoid it - If you get time well worth a visit to the "Pop Club" . 

Some words of wisdom :

If your every asked to play a record - Be honest - If you havent got it - Say so - Dont ever be tempted to suggest "Its in my other box "

Still manages to make me smile - Shoe shop mentality -Size 10 in this style please - Sorry we only have them in a 7 - "Cut the fronts off shall I .

Make sure your entrance fee is " Reasonable - People will travel/Drink & enjoy a good night out - But nobody likes being fleeced ! 

Win the crowd - If the dance floors empty - Its a messgae - Dont play the entire track ! - Your in charge

so only my opinion

See you at the first one - Let us all know Where /When etc

GOOD LUCK ",)DONT AGREE with if the dancefloor is empty--change the record--SOME OF US LIKE TO LISTEN

• Helpful 3
Social source share

One of the ongoing themes of the scene is the debate around ... too many events, too many venues, too many promoters, too much going on (of not great quality) and too many DJs  :dash2: 

That said, introducing the music to young or new listeners is an admirable aim.

If that is what you are really aiming to do, then that will maybe set you apart from the 'too many events, promoters, DJs' issues - and I say go for it.

The key thing will be to be very clear on what makes you different and why you are not just 'more of the same' - and I would suggest if you want to introduce new/young listeners, then your choice of venue should be driven mainly by that - so check your venue demographics and you will probably end up with a reasonably short list of possible places (when you add in the other things you need from a venue to make it a decent night).

Sound like you are looking to find groups of people (potential/latent soulies) that happen to use a venue, rather than the right venue per se - and that will point you in the right direction.

I'm rambling now  :lol:  Hope it helps anyway.

Cheers

Richard

Cheers Richard

We definitely have to be different than whats being done in the Preston area, but following the model of some nights that are currently being run in Manchester. Even though one of the aims is to introduce new younger people to the scene, the quality will be high and full of energy .i.e not your Quintessential Northern and more like the Dickie Wonder I nearly had off you. I agree on the venue front, it needs to be easily accessible with a good vibe. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!