All Is All What It Seems In Manships Auction?

a few  years ago i needed to raise some money and i sold some things in manships auction, i had various records and some memorabelia all was well with the records cant complain at the prices i got that just left 2 lots of memorabelia months and months passed and they never went on by this time i didnt need the money anymore so i contacted him, i recieved apologies was told they had got a bit buried and i was assured they would go on in the next auction.

the items firstly a three piece mirwood lot a jackie lee promo photo a 3 page letter from jackie lee [earl cosby] to mirwood asking to be relieved of his contract and an olympics royalty statement, and the final item was a soultown younghearts promo photo which john had said to me in my original phone conversation 'thats the one'!

sure enough the next week the triple mirwood item went on and the younghearts didnt, when i left for work on the final day of the auction the mirwood items items only had a bid of £20 i was quite concerned but i thought well it will go up at the end. on returning home i was mortified to turn on my computer to see they sold for £20 i was so sorry id ever done it because id have sooner stuck them on my toilet wall. a few days later i recieved an e.mail from johns secretary saying johns not sure what he can achieve for the younghearts photo anymore however he would like to make an offer for it for his own collection which i declined and took it back. i was telling a friend this story the other day and when i came home tonight i had a message from this frend telling me to look at manships facebook page and there are the mirwood items for all to see on his page.

what do other members think ? i know what i do.......

Social source share

Bloody hell, look out mate he'll be threatening you with legal action. He's done it with me a few times. There's only so much integrity when there's money involved. If you want to be certain of a fair deal, then you have to sell the stuff yourself.

Social source share

Internet is an issue here as all you are seeing I presume are scans of the items, which John would have taken for the auction posting anyway I guess? Doesn't mean he has them does it? How can you be certain they are not other copies of the similar item?

Think you just need to work out if you think the Mirwood items actually sold for £20 and that it was the auctioneer that bought them. Would they have gone unsold, was there a reserve or an opportunity to place one?

Tricky one this - so facts are really important in deciding next steps mate.

Richard

Social source share

Im sure on an old thread on here years ago a legal SSourcer explained that there is a requirement for the way auctions have to be conducted and full accountability and traceability of all bids, the problem I see with any online auction is ..how do you apportion a bid to an item if its done by e-mail or by the phone? but in that thread someone had a go at john then on a particular auction and he provided all the bids in one of his posts on the auction regardless as to how they come in so hes pretty good on the accountability side

if its done by a bid button on the site linked to a particular item then there would be an audit trail, im sure mr tax man would have looked at online auctions years ago and tied this sort of thing up.

On the Mr Manship front, Ive always found John to be honest and upfront, he was very good on a charles williams i wanted years ago, when i enquired, as the listed price was unusually low..i got a reply that he couldnt find it and i thought, oh he must have seen the price and thought otherwise......BUT, about a year/18months later he called me and said did i still want the charles williams as he'd found it, of course i hadnt found another so deal done and he still honoured the low price he had on it originally, it was a bargain.... a his business reputation relies on that and lets be fair with the volume and value of items that hes had through his business over the years would he risk all that, (and im not being derogatory here) on a few items whilst dear to you, pretty low in value what hes had through his hands over the years.... i think not. :thumbsup:

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Internet is an issue here as all you are seeing I presume are scans of the items, which John would have taken for the auction posting anyway I guess? Doesn't mean he has them does it? How can you be certain they are not other copies of the similar item?

Think you just need to work out if you think the Mirwood items actually sold for £20 and that it was the auctioneer that bought them. Would they have gone unsold, was there a reserve or an opportunity to place one?

Richard

of course he has to scan them for the auction but i dont believe thats the original scan and even if that is the original scan why should he think he can copy items that dont belong to him and post them on his facebook page and i also dont believe they are copies of a similar item as two of these items are one off copies save for possibly file copies

Richard

Social source share

Im not sure why you have such a problem with the FB pictures, he also has the Larry Clinton up there and I don't think that is going to go cheap is it. The fact he returned the 2nd photo after auction sounds to me like he recognised you would be dissapointed with price of first ones and he didn't want to take the risk again, which to be fair is him turning down money. 

You need to speak direct if you have any issues, this is akin to a Jeremy Kyle method of hanging your laundry out in public for me I am afraid, 

Social source share

The first scan that used to load on a much earlier version of John's main page was the Italian fisheye lens Seven Souls sleeve, a copy that he auctioned on my behalf and got a great price on that I was very pleased with, the scan staying up for a year or 2 afterwards certainly didn't mean he hadn't sold the record.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I believe "if" John wanted to buy any auction item on his site he would have to bid as the auction is run by an outside agency, he uses an outside auction company just to protect his reputation if a situations like this arises.

I also believe that if John is presented with any item for auction he was willing to buy for his collection he would make the offer before listing that you can take or leave, I've sold records on Johns auction some making very good prices some not & one record sold for less than half it's going rate,  but it never crossed my mind to question the integrity of John's auction, like any auction you take a chance in listing to sell.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest drewid

I sold my collection to Jon and I found him very fair and straight , as its been said he wouldn't risk his rep etc think your judgement may have been cloudy over the price you got for the memoribillia possibly?

Edited by drewid
Social source share

always been happy with my dealings with John......he can use any scans of my 45s hes sold for me ....no problem.......in fact in the past hes bought in for himself a 45 of mine that got measly bids.. at the price i wanted.........nothing wrong with that.........you need to establish with him if its a scan...

Social source share

Hmmmmm ok on the fence here, i found john to be a very nice guy, but i did bid on a record i wanted, auction finished at 6pm i was the highest bidder, then the auction end time was increased by 5 mins, then again and agian, it ended at 6.20, i lost the bid, i was a touch bemused by it but thats life, as its been quite rightly stated i think john does have a great site and it does very well indeed.

Social source share

Hmmmmm ok on the fence here, i found john to be a very nice guy, but i did bid on a record i wanted, auction finished at 6pm i was the highest bidder, then the auction end time was increased by 5 mins, then again and agian, it ended at 6.20, i lost the bid, i was a touch bemused by it but thats life, as its been quite rightly stated i think john does have a great site and it does very well indeed.

Normal for John's Auctions as stated on his site

"Automatic Auction End Time Extension - To avoid any last minute bid sniping, and allow other bidders to respond, the system will automatically extent the auction end time on any last second bids by 3 minutes. Any additional bids will extend the auction by a further 3 minutes until no further bids are placed. At this point the system will close the auction automatically."

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!