Luther Davis Group Sound Quality

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Ivor Jones

The sound quality is spot -on on these.....anyone who tells you it's not is probably playing a knackered copy..... They are pressed on styrene though with all the pitfalls you can encounter with those pressings. One spin on a faulty stylus,too much weight on the arm etc, and you now have a faulty copy ... The batch that turned up about 8-10 years back were all unplaced stock..... Try and locate one of those I'd say......

Social source share

I respectfully disagree. It's not a great pressing. I mean 4 minutes long on polystyrene ffs? It's never going to be great.... but you should be able to find a minter, just don't play it too much :lol:

Another one was Otis Clay Only way is up - similar long record on poor quality styrene, they start to deteriorate after a few plays.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I respectfully disagree. It's not a great pressing. I mean 4 minutes long on polystyrene ffs? It's never going to be great.... but you should be able to find a minter, just don't play it too much :lol:

Another one was Otis Clay Only way is up - similar long record on poor quality styrene, they start to deteriorate after a few plays.

The 7" of Luther Davis is a little quiet but never had any problems with it & still play's like it did when I bought it.

Is also a slightly different version on a 12" (not the Soul Cal thing) by a different artist but with a Luther Davis connection & also seem to think some Keb Darge connection too. Just can't seem to remember the artist & it's buried under 100's of other 12"s.

As for Otis Clay I gave up on the 7" years ago as I knackered 2 copy's with cueburn after only a few play's so now play it off the legit 12" as the sound quality is so much better by far. Also better than the Japanese album so well worth tracking down.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I thought the copy that Keb had was the original one that was played to death back in the day by Sam .... If so I'm not surprised it was poor quality.. But, the batch that turned up in quantity were new unplayed old stock.... And in my opinion, they are decent pressings. Unfortunately though , they are styrene... They are not riddled with fuzzy distortion though like many styrene pressings are they Steve ? Mines certainly not...

If you want a better pressing then presumably the soul cal 12" will be better( don't know, I didn't hear one) but then I think the original question was regarding the orig 45...

Good luck with your search mate

Social source share

I thought the copy that Keb had was the original one that was played to death back in the day by Sam .... If so I'm not surprised it was poor quality.. But, the batch that turned up in quantity were new unplayed old stock.... And in my opinion, they are decent pressings. Unfortunately though , they are styrene... They are not riddled with fuzzy distortion though like many styrene pressings are they Steve ? Mines certainly not...

If you want a better pressing then presumably the soul cal 12" will be better( don't know, I didn't hear one) but then I think the original question was regarding the orig 45...

Good luck with your search mate

Yes Ivor it was Sams copy.

It came from Dave Clifford who bought it from Sam,i owned it about 10 years until Keb made me an offer i couldn't refuse.

Last time i DJed with it was at the Bank Hall Burnley all dayers(modern room) in late 80s.

Would have probably been forgot about if i had not sold it.

ATB Chris.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the answers guys!  :) 

Is also a slightly different version on a 12" (not the Soul Cal thing) by a different artist but with a Luther Davis connection & also seem to think some Keb Darge connection too. Just can't seem to remember the artist & it's buried under 100's of other 12"s.

THAT is something I really wanna hear! I've never seen or heard anything about it. Was it a new recording or what? Can you please enlighten us? I wanna hear it!!

Edited by 1978
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!