Can Anyone Remember Smokey Docu 90's?

Simsy

There was a tv documentary on in the 90's that charted the top ten sixties soul acts by record sales. 

Supremes were number 1, Marvin 2nd & Temps 3rd.

Smokey Robinson was the presenter, Bobby Womack was in it also and the Temps manager and others.

I don't have any other info, other than I think is was on Ch4?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Would you believe it, I can get about 6 episodes from that series but soul isn't one of them...DOH!

Yep sods law. Or as my mate Richard would say c*nts law. Similar, but slightly more extreme.  :)

I just find it difficult to believe there's not even a clip of the programme, anywhere!

Social source share

Alright sunshine I have found the program for you, I'll burn it on a disc and send it down to you ok.

Just make sure this is the right thing.

A look at the Top Ten of 1960s soul hosted by Smokey Robinson. 
It look back to the glory days of Berry Gordy's Motown label, and the underbelly of an industry that was rife with sex, drugs and infighting. The three remaining members of The Four Tops (Levi Stubbs, Obie Benson and Duke Fakir( talk about their unblemished success as the longest running group in pop music history. Aretha Franklin talks about her career from her roots in the Church and gospel music to her later stardom. She also talks about her tempestuous first marriage, the pain of which she transformed in to some of her most memorable songs. Otis Redding's managers Phil and Alan Walden talk about Redding, and the programme features film of his last ever performance recorded the day before he died. Otis Williams, the only surviving original member of The Temptations talks about the band's turbulent times and how despit infighting the won Motown its first Grammy with `Papa was a Rolling Stone'. Jimmy Ruffin, brother of David Ruffin of The Temptations explains how the pressures of fame led David to a death by crack overdose in 1991. Marvin Gaye's brother Frankie talks about his brothers career and about his murder by their father. The programme also examines how Motown suppressed Gaye's rebellious streak by teaming him with a series of female artists including Tammi Terrell. The programme looks at Sam and Dave, considered by many to be the most successful double act in soul music history despite the fact that they thoroughly depised each other and barely spoke for 12 and a half years. Despite their cocaine habits, they still managed to perform together until Dave's death in a car crash in the 1980s. In a special interview Ray Charles describes how he "took Gods music and put the devil's words to it". A musical genius, he was also a notorious womaniser in the 1960s with a legendary penchant for orgies and affairs with his backing singers. He also suffered from a huge heroin addiction but recovered after a dose of serious cold turkey. The programme also features a look at the stories of the Supremes and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. 

might be a problem as there is only one seed, i.e. one person on the net with a copy, so to download 1gig off that one person, well it may take a long long time.  I will try though

p.s. download time 6 hours so should be ok

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Alright sunshine I have found the program for you, I'll burn it on a disc and send it down to you ok.

A look at the Top Ten of 1960s soul hosted by Smokey Robinson. 

It look back to the glory days of Berry Gordy's Motown label, and the underbelly of an industry that was rife with sex, drugs and infighting. The three remaining members of The Four Tops (Levi Stubbs, Obie Benson and Duke Fakir( talk about their unblemished success as the longest running group in pop music history. Aretha Franklin talks about her career from her roots in the Church and gospel music to her later stardom. She also talks about her tempestuous first marriage, the pain of which she transformed in to some of her most memorable songs. Otis Redding's managers Phil and Alan Walden talk about Redding, and the programme features film of his last ever performance recorded the day before he died. Otis Williams, the only surviving original member of The Temptations talks about the band's turbulent times and how despit infighting the won Motown its first Grammy with `Papa was a Rolling Stone'. Jimmy Ruffin, brother of David Ruffin of The Temptations explains how the pressures of fame led David to a death by crack overdose in 1991. Marvin Gaye's brother Frankie talks about his brothers career and about his murder by their father. The programme also examines how Motown suppressed Gaye's rebellious streak by teaming him with a series of female artists including Tammi Terrell. The programme looks at Sam and Dave, considered by many to be the most successful double act in soul music history despite the fact that they thoroughly depised each other and barely spoke for 12 and a half years. Despite their cocaine habits, they still managed to perform together until Dave's death in a car crash in the 1980s. In a special interview Ray Charles describes how he "took Gods music and put the devil's words to it". A musical genius, he was also a notorious womaniser in the 1960s with a legendary penchant for orgies and affairs with his backing singers. He also suffered from a huge heroin addiction but recovered after a dose of serious cold turkey. The programme also features a look at the stories of the Supremes and Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. 

might be a problem as there is only one seed, i.e. one person on the net with a copy, so to download 1gig off that one person, well it may take a long long time.  I will try though

p.s. download time 6 hours so should be ok

That's the one. The next episode 'Seventies Soul' is also worth a watch. I have them both on a strange thing, I think it's called a video cassette!

Social source share

That's the one. The next episode 'Seventies Soul' is also worth a watch. I have them both on a strange thing, I think it's called a video cassette!

See the problem is, these "video cassettes", when I moved to this place we got a skip and I chucked every single videotape I had, over 1000, about 700 were films and the rest were music going back to when I first had a VHS recorder, 82-83, I must have been mad but I got fed up of carting them around - and I even offered them up on here for free but nobody wanted them, so in the skip they went...

Social source share

(Just seen this) Yeah that's the one mate! Awesome!

Where did you find it?

That would be great if you pop it on a disc to me, I owe you!  :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!