The Fabulous Playboys - Honky Tonk Woman

Mal C

Ummm, strange, Had this on that Soul Supply CD from the 9ts 'Thelma's Detroit Collective' and thought that was the version on the Apolllo released 45, until I recently picked up 'The Roots Of Northern Soul: 40 Original Classics' cd, and low and behold a very different intro, lots more guitar less horns in the beginning, and different recorded backing track....

Anybody notice this? Know the background on the two...? Personally I'll plum for the version on the 'The Roots Of Northern Soul' cd...has a bit more to it..

I'll try to load the two versions up to Refo..

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

As far as I know, ALL their cuts were made at one session at United Sound Studios in Detroit run by Don Davis.  I believe there were 2 takes on that song.  I seem to remember the DaCo version having the more old-fashioned sound.  So, I guess that when Davis offered them to Apollo for lease, they chose to release the version with the stronger horns, to get a more "modern" sound.

Social source share

Robb,

Are you thinking of their other release on the Apollo label "Nervous" which also came out on Daco?

I don't recall ever seeing a Daco label issue of Honky Tonk Woman?

You are correct.  There was no DaCo release of "Honkey Tonk Woman" because it was the second "option" release in the lease aggreement.  Apollo chose to also release the 2nd record, so it came out only on Apollo.  I only meant it was the "DaCo version" because it was a DaCo production that remained with them, while the Apollo released version is, by definition, the "Apollo version".   I should have just called it the unreleased version.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Robb

To be frank - they are both absolutely fabulous records

Sonny Monroe is a top, top, top, top class lead - and the backing is so tight  :excl:

Cheers

Richard

Because Hazel and Robert Coleman were Berry Gordy's first inlaws, and they kept a civil relationship with him, AND Don Davis had worked at Motown and knew many of their musicians (and he also knew them from his playing guitar on non-Motown sessions with many of them), Davis' DaCo, Thelma and GeGe sessions used mostly Motown musicians.  It should be no surprise that so many of them sounded a lot like Motown cuts.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!