Larry (chubby) Reynolds

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Scandalous :unsure: sold my copy for £100 last year.But its an oldie ...and those who play catch-up, suddenly want it..'cos its now being played........ATB Stevie

was there any need for the second bit?

Social source share

If by oldie, you mean it's been played widely for the last couple of years, then fair do's, well done for being so 'Up Front', award yourself a shiny medal, march up and down your street proclaiming that you are indeed 'something special'.

Otherwise, let the lad ask a reasonable question, about a record that not everybody knows, and answer it in a reasonable manner.

What may be considered an Oldie to you, is probably classed a s a semi-known / unknown track to 95% of the 'Nothern' venue attending populous.

Social source share

definately spun at Stafford by Keb.

Spun out by Keb many times and then Scottish jock (other one obviously), which was why my question was specifically aimed at Stevie Z and when he heard it, something tells me 10 years after it was played so a bit rich calling it an oldie now.

I am in grumpy mode so just ignore me!!

Social source share

Spun out by Keb many times and then Scottish jock (other one obviously), which was why my question was specifically aimed at Stevie Z and when he heard it, something tells me 10 years after it was played so a bit rich calling it an oldie now.

your in a grumpy mood i sold mine for £15 last year :unsure:

Social source share

Chalkie is tying in with me on dates.........not sure what you mean about"10 years after it was played"ATB Stevie
Social source share

Scandalous :unsure: sold my copy for £100 last year.But its an oldie ...and those who play catch-up, suddenly want it..'cos its now being played........ATB Stevie

you casting aspersions at me stevie :lol: i've been playing it for 3 years or more at greatstone and yes it is an oldie but it is good.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

Hi Davie .You are alluding to the fact that its an oldie?I believe thats because most "soulies " do not progress ,I had a fortunate amount of "soulies" of the same mind in the 70ts who let me know as I did for them a latest aquisition and obtained them.Such as the big name DJs today.Some of the big name DJs need to obtain a tune, broken for several months before they will chance playing it.The second bit .I must be so fortunate in knowing so many tunes......isn't that what its all about....as soon as possible...so as to obtain a copy,but that is down to fellow collectors. The reason the record is at £250 is because a "known" dj has finally believed that they are SAFE playing it out IMO :unsure: Take care Davie ,hows the RnB?

Social source share

QUOTE(mark.b @ May 17 2006, 10:08 PM) link

you casting aspersions at me stevie :unsure: i've been playing it for 3 years or more at greatstone and yes it is an oldie but it is good.

mark

Hi Mark ,you bought from Me? :lol:

no stevie ebay for about £35 cos i am a tight sod :D mark
Social source share

Can this really be classed as an oldie?

I doubt it very much, spun at stafford, and a few other places, forgotten and not well known, hardly consitutes an oldie does it ?? :unsure:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi Davie .You are alluding to the fact that its an oldie?I believe thats because most "soulies " do not progress ,I had a fortunate amount of "soulies" of the same mind in the 70ts who let me know as I did for them a latest aquisition and obtained them.Such as the big name DJs today.Some of the big name DJs need to obtain a tune, broken for several months before they will chance playing it.The second bit .I must be so fortunate in knowing so many tunes......isn't that what its all about....as soon as possible...so as to obtain a copy,but that is down to fellow collectors. The reason the record is at £250 is because a "known" dj has finally believed that they are SAFE playing it out IMO :unsure: Take care Davie ,hows the RnB?

maybe so , but you only had to say you've known it for years and not dismiss someone wanting a tune by saying they are playing "catch-up" . people have freedom of choice to buy records without you being condescending (whether it was intentional or not).

as for the r'nb ....it's the way forward(for me) and no doubt chris will tell you all about his time in scotland at BASICS

Social source share

maybe so , but you only had to say you've known it for years and not dismiss someone wanting a tune by saying they are playing "catch-up" . people have freedom of choice to buy records without you being condescending (whether it was intentional or not).

as for the r'nb ....it's the way forward(for me) and no doubt chris will tell you all about his time in scotland at BASICS OK Jimmy phllips

Social source share

Lads and lasses , let's keep this all in perspective eh ?

There would have been more than a handful of African-Americans in the USA who would have bought and played this record at the time of its release well before it was a glimmer in the eye of the Rare Soul Scene many years later !!!!!!

This one-upmanship about who played what first has always been one of the sillier aspects of the Soul Scene ... wacko.gif

Social source share

let's not get too chirpy, don't want to have to bother deleting posts/closing topics etc

steve, pls bear in mind not everyone knows every record in the world, even you, and that people do find it a bit galling to be treated as though they were just starting out (not that even then we should be going 'god...don't you even know that?) when they've been around for 20 years :D

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Guest hammy

Scandalous :D sold my copy for £100 last year.But its an oldie ...and those who play catch-up, suddenly want it..'cos its now being played........ATB Stevie

I dunno why everyone's leaping on the bandwagon - Steve's given a pretty accurate description, albeit a blunt one!

Countless records first played at Stafford and/ or been around tape traders for donkeys, then forgotten, now getting lept on. There's nothing wrong with reactivating a sound - thousands of records were played for about 2 weeks at Stafford then dumped in any case. There's a difference between being the first to play something and the first to 'break' a tune. A world of difference.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I dunno why everyone's leaping on the bandwagon - Steve's given a pretty accurate description, albeit a blunt one!

Countless records first played at Stafford and/ or been around tape traders for donkeys, then forgotten, now getting lept on. There's nothing wrong with reactivating a sound - thousands of records were played for about 2 weeks at Stafford then dumped in any case. There's a difference between being the first to play something and the first to 'break' a tune. A world of difference.

Hammy

thing is though , and not relevant to original question .... can a mere mortal really "break" a record ?

just curious , not that i'm ever likely to lol

Davie

Social source share

let's not get too chirpy, don't want to have to bother deleting posts/closing topics etc

steve, pls bear in mind not everyone knows every record in the world, even you, and that people do find it a bit galling to be treated as though they were just starting out (not that even then we should be going 'god...don't you even know that?) when they've been around for 20 years ranting_1.gif

Hi Dan,thank "God" :thumbsup: I do not know every tune! I am the first to admit I do not know all records.....and take that onboard........in no way did I say it was a bad record 'tis good .My assumption that its an oldie just goes to show that venues / areas playing out tunes(those years ago) had an impression on those who attended..........

The point about DJs "controlling" what is played,is about their ambition, be that at the inception of a venue or playing out today,even at the same venue ,to discover tunes as quickly as possible.

NOT to wait until its safe to play it.

To the poster of this topic I have not descibed you in derogatory terms,just stated my beliefs........as Hammy stated it may have come across as "blunt"

Its a great record and I hope you find one at a reasonable price :unsure: ATB Stevie

Social source share

Its a great record and I hope you find one at a reasonable price :( ATB Stevie

Steve

I already had a copy of said record, was just curious to see how much it's selling for these days.Better put it back in the cupboard though wouldn't want caught playing these safe records :(:unsure:

soulmac.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!