Putting Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Pete S

There was this (to my ears) not particularly good record sold in a Manship auction 3 or 4 months ago, Mel Vena Allen - The Bigger Your Heart - Salvador.  As far as I were concerned, this was a £25 to £40 job.  And of course it went for £300...cue a discussion with most people agreeing that it wasn't worth anything like that.

Wouldn't you know it, I got one through yesterday, so checked JM's website, one for sale up there, £300.

So what to do, go with the flow and stick it out at £250?

Or do what my conscience says and put it out for £75?  

It is a DJ copy, don'yt know if that makes any difference.

I shouldn't have kept quiet  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As with the Paul Anka, demand for it in certain circles means people will pay around the £150 - £200 mark for it, although I only paid around a tenth of that for mine!

Social source share

Why let the madness of a few of bidders, who either know no better and/or have little value of money, dictate a new 'going rate'?

Why let them spoil the fun of collecting for the rest of us, who may well have a firmer grasp of reality?! In this case in point, the disc has never been rare, was never a floor packer, is average at best and isn't even available as a WD (hohoho!)

Whilst I appreciate that some folk sell records for a living, surely they would warrant the often citied 'sheep mentality' tag, more so than the people rushing to buy a disc 'cause it is this months new flavour? That said, I'm sure someone will buy it off you Pete, based on nothing more than that freak auction result! Good luck!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why let the madness of a few of bidders, who either know no better and/or have little value of money, dictate a new 'going rate'?

Why let them spoil the fun of collecting for the rest of us, who may well have a firmer grasp of reality?! In this case in point, the disc has never been rare, was never a floor packer, is average at best and isn't even available as a WD (hohoho!)

Whilst I appreciate that some folk sell records for a living, surely they would warrant the often citied 'sheep mentality' tag, more so than the people rushing to buy a disc 'cause it is this months new flavour? That said, I'm sure someone will buy it off you Pete, based on nothing more than that freak auction result! Good luck!

The problem is that it does affect the base rate of a record - these mad auction prices have affected countless 45's - I'm always glad when we can kick against this

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Bizzare that someone would pay £300 for it when it seems fairly easy to get one for less than £100! I seriously think that some people are just so loaded that £300 is peanuts to them, so why bother searching thru ebay,record boxes,writing a wants ad' on here,e.t.c like most of us generally do, when they can just check one auction and pay whatever they want to get it,regardless of record value consequences that affect everyone else!! They dont give two f**ks,as long as it's safely stashed in their trophy box probably never to be enjoyed by the true soul appreciators,or see the light of day, ever again! Yours, p***ed off at the extortionate cost of rare soul vinyl, Carl.:-(

Social source share

Bizzare that someone would pay £300 for it when it seems fairly easy to get one for less than £100! I seriously think that some people are just so loaded that £300 is peanuts to them, so why bother searching thru ebay,record boxes,writing a wants ad' on here,e.t.c like most of us generally do, when they can just check one auction and pay whatever they want to get it,regardless of record value consequences that affect everyone else!! They dont give two f**ks,as long as it's safely stashed in their trophy box probably never to be enjoyed by the true soul appreciators,or see the light of day, ever again! Yours, p***ed off at the extortionate cost of rare soul vinyl, Carl.:-(

There was a great quote on here the other day from someone who was playing a record out and a guy came up to him and said "I've got that record" and the first guy asked him what he paid, and the second guy had paid twice as much as the first guy, so the first guy said "you paid twice as much as me", to which the second one replied "yeah but I bought mine off John Manship"  :lol:

expecting the other guy to be impressed by that fact. :g:

sorry just in case anyone thought I made this up here is the topic, it's post 24 half way down the page

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Got my copy for a couple o' dollars from the floor of a garage somewhere in Philadelphia mid 1990's.

Didn't know it but it looked pretty interesting. You wouldn't leave it would ya.

Flogged it to an old buddy of mine (Craig Butler of Brighouse) for summat like £30 or so middle of last year.

Then only a week or so later Mister Manship's auction ended and the news broke of the figure it realised.

Once I'd stopped crying I shrugged mi shoulders and thought nah thirty was a fair price what the hell.

And finally Andy Rix once told me that the flip side "If I was an orange" was used in a TV commercial or summat.

Derek x

Social source share

Have to agree with what said, it ain't very good.  £75 is too much IMO.  I would have thought £40 if it wasn't for the fuss surrounding the auction price.

One went through ebay unsold not so long ago listed at £90.  Look on popsike/collectors frenzy and in many cases it struggles into double figures.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There was a great quote on here the other day from someone who was playing a record out and a guy came up to him and said "I've got that record" and the first guy asked him what he paid, and the second guy had paid twice as much as the first guy, so the first guy said "you paid twice as much as me", to which the second one replied "yeah but I bought mine off John Manship"  :lol:

expecting the other guy to be impressed by that fact. :g:

sorry just in case anyone thought I made this up here is the topic, it's post 24 half way down the page

and there you have it!! nothing much else to say..

Social source share

That's the problem with collecting at the moment Pete, the crazy prices people are paying for what are average records at best. I recently watched an online doc featuring Keb and Snowboy and they were moaning about this very same thing on the Deep Funk scene, that many collectors are being priced out of the market because of this. I still hunt and collect but its getting harder to pick up the bigger items at sensible prices. As for Manship, hats off to him, he doesn't set the price at auction, its the buyers that determine what they will pay and sadly, as many have pointed out, some have more money than sense!! As for the record in question I sold my 2 copies a while back for £20 each. 

Social source share

As for Manship, hats off to him, he doesn't set the price at auction, its the buyers that determine what they will pay and sadly, as many have pointed out, some have more money than sense!! 

Hats of indeed!  This isn't about John and never has been, why people think I have slagged him off I don't know because I haven't and I don't, quite the opposite, it's the auctions themselves or rather the end prices on daft records that I bang on about, hence this topic where we've all come to the conclusion that the record is worth £30 tops.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We are as one Pete on this mate, re: Manship. I think there are too many people happy to slag him off for the prices he achieves but at the end of the day his auctions start out at £1. I miss the days of writing for Beating Rhythm magazine and being censored by your fair hand :-P 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We are as one Pete on this mate, re: Manship. I think there are too many people happy to slag him off for the prices he achieves but at the end of the day his auctions start out at £1. I miss the days of writing for Beating Rhythm magazine and being censored by your fair hand :-P 

It must have been bad if I censored it seeing some of the stuff that I put in  :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!