Flowers - For Real

Jaco

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

A little overplayed for me but a classic all the same. I really like the Roy Ayers version, which finally got a 45 release earlier this year and would recommend that as a stop gap if your finances don't stretch to a Flowers original on LAX!!!

Social source share

Got my copy of 'For Real' (large Centre) when Rod was playing Solid centre Copy at the Canal Tavern, Thorne Modern/Crossover Soul Nites, Then 'Got We Can Make It Happen' from Rod shortly afterwards again from Rod, i was given to understand that it was an Unreleased Tune that Rod made possible, may be wrong but that's how i seem to remember it, 2 Classic tunes it has to be said and forever in my play box and on my turntable at home, Wonderful Soul  

Social source share

58 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Got my copy of 'For Real' (large Centre) when Rod was playing Solid centre Copy at the Canal Tavern, Thorne Modern/Crossover Soul Nites, Then 'Got We Can Make It Happen' from Rod shortly afterwards again from Rod, i was given to understand that it was an Unreleased Tune that Rod made possible, may be wrong but that's how i seem to remember it, 2 Classic tunes it has to be said and forever in my play box and on my turntable at home, Wonderful Soul  

I believe the solid centre record Rod played was We Can Make It Happen.

Edited by John Reed
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, John Reed said:

I believe the solid centre record Rod played was We Can Make It Happen.

You could be correct on that John as the old Brain Cells are frazzled these days and my memory sure ain't what it used to be so Thanks for that as i stand Corrected, Take care My friend, 😃

Social source share

• 7 months later...
On 15/07/2020 at 11:55, Rick Scott said:

That sounds very interesting garethx, not familiar with that one at all, must be a rare and expensive thing ? 

Rick. 

Thought would add to see if we can shed some more light on all these people

Is Frank the same Frank ?

I believe That Duplex Black Record Distribution was Jimmy Liggins ?

floers.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

FRank.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

It's highly likely that it is the same Frank Armstrong. What is confusing is the address on the FADA 45 you showed. Below are 2 items from Record World- the 1st from 1971 and the 2nd from 1975 which show FADA having a Los Angeles address. 

So... that's either the address of Duplex Black Record Distributors or  Frank moved to Valdosta in 1973 and moved back to L.A. or he never updated his info for the magazine. Or something else entirely.

1.jpg

5.jpg

• Thanks 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, The Yank said:

It's highly likely that it is the same Frank Armstrong. What is confusing is the address on the FADA 45 you showed. Below are 2 items from Record World- the 1st from 1971 and the 2nd from 1975 which show FADA having a Los Angeles address. 

So... that's either the address of Duplex Black Record Distributors or  Frank moved to Valdosta in 1973 and moved back to L.A. or he never updated his info for the magazine. Or something else entirely.

1.jpg

5.jpg

I think the address is the distribution, which caused the confusion

Now I know where I saw the label years ago

Henry.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 11/04/2013 at 13:39, Steve Plumb said:

'We must make it happen' definitely didn't come out in the 70's!

The solid centre copies were test pressings of the large centre release from around '89/'90

Think they were legit and the story goes that 10 solid centre copies were sent over by Richard Flowers with a view to 500 'large centre' copies coming later. Think the solid centre copies were offered at £90 each at the time? Then i think Rod at Voices got the first 25-50 'large centre' copies and knocked them out at a fiver each, with a view to the other 400+ coming later BUT (the story goes) that someone in Japan bought the remaining stock, thus Rod never got any more copies and it became an instant rarity and no one saw hide nor hair of the 400 that supposedly went to Japan?

Can anyone add owt else to this, as i'm sure i didn't dream it?

Cheers

Steve 

Yeah ste true to my recollection, I bought mine off rod at first hearing I think in Thorne could be wrong,

charly prob knows as he was working for him

Cubo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!